Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,376

2 members and 3,374 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Any difference between THG tape and flexwatt?

Well I'm using 11" flexwatt at the moment, and was wondering if I should switch to the 12" THG tape. I'm using it for back heat in a 4 shelf high rack, and was wondering it the THG uses anymore power than the flexwatt, and if the THG is safer, etc.
    Basically, are there any pros to switching to the THG tape?
    Last edited by Trackstrong83; 03-23-2013 at 07:17 PM.
    1.0 firefly ball python
    1.0 100% Pastel het clown ball python
    1.0 Enchi ball python
    1.0 Super Pastel 100% het pied (Richard)
    0.1 Butter 100% het ghost
    0.1 Pastel 100% het pied (Keira)
    0.1 Butter 50% het Ghost Ball Python (Penny)
    0.1 100% het Ghost
    0.1 Normal Ball Python (Irwin)
    0.1 Mojave Ball Python (Eve)
    0.1 Black Bee Ball Python (Charolette)
    0.1 Pintripe (Olivia)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Peaches)
    1.0 Bearded Dragon (Dude)

Thanks

Re: Any difference between THG tape and flexwatt?

I'd use the search option.
    I am pretty sure a couple of users have tested both and found the THG to perform more consistently.
    Enough that I would prefer THG for any new set-ups. I'm not positive I would switch if already set up with flexwatt and had no performance issues or irregular heat.

Thanks
    I just installed THG heat tape on both my AP CB70 rack and also my AP VE175 Rack. I have to say that I LOVE IT!!!! I love the new rivet style connectors over the older ones. I feel like it gets a more solid and secure connection. I have had it installed in my CB70 rack for around a week and it seems to keep the temperature more evenly dispersed between tubs ALOT better then the old flexwatt. Even temperature from the top tub to the bottom is more accurate. Now I dont know if that has anything to do with the heat tape or not, but there was around 6-8 degree difference between my tubs using the old flexwatt. The new THG has a range of 2-3 degrees between top to bottom. I have to give a shout out to Robyn and everyone else who helped develop this new technology. I LOVE IT!!!! IT is a reptile lovers dream and I can not wait to swtich ALL OF MY CAGING OVER TO THE NEW THG HEAT TAPE!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Re: Any difference between THG tape and flexwatt?

My animals mean the world to me. When it comes to retics large even temp graidents are extremely important to me and of course my snakes. I have switched over 10 vision cages from ultratherm to the new THG heat tape. I am extreamly happy with the results! My biggest factor besides the less that 3degree difference between the top cage and the bottom cage on my rack is the even distribution of heat on each cage. I haven't even temperature gradient from the front of the cage to the back on every level. I've taken a lot of time to look at the connections on these math and it is unbelievably awesome. I feal very good about this new product and can reccomend it to anyone.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm thinking about this myself. I've got several AP racks with the dual 11" flexwatt down the sides, problem with this is that the bottom shelves are too cold and the top shelves are too warm. I'd really like something with more even heating.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts

Any difference between THG tape and flexwatt?

I am still waiting but the videos shoe a slight improvement in length temps of a degree or two . I have reservations of using a punch eye made for textiles as an connector. Especially as it is being recommended to solder it anyway. I actually would suggest a proper rivet ( solid copper revet and rove) instead. Those whom have tested it have reported higher temps.

The net result to my mind is 50/50. That leaves a personal question do you want to support am American product or a Korean one? The answer is personal so it is not a clear answer. Pick one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

House Snakes Addict... Aes_Sidhe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 848 Posts
    i just Mounted it in my DUY incubator.. On Dry Run with water bottles on top after 24 hour i have 118 degrees on whole Strip ( I've use 6 inch wide one ) and on top of cooler temps was in 108 109 range .. I will run another test with fan and thermostat tomorrow

So far I really like it mostly because temps are more consistent on whole length that in Flexwatt case...

And New connection system it really cool as well
    Last edited by Aes_Sidhe; 03-25-2013 at 09:58 PM.

CLICK HERE to LIKE The RLReptiles on FACEBOOK

Rafal Lisinski

1.0 Striped African House Snake "Marduk"
    0.1 Striped African House Snake Ishtar
    1.0 black phase Brown House Snake Seth
    0.1 black phase Brown House Snake Nephthys