Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,316

0 members and 3,316 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    I live in Colorado and I am interested in purchasing a Ball Python. I don't really wanna buy one from the pet store, but if I can't find a locar breeder I will. Does anyone here know of a breeder in Colorado who is reputible?

Thanks
    Randy Remington breeds Ball Pythons. He is a member of this site, and lives in Colorado. PM him, and I'm sure he'd be happy to set something up with you.
    Randy

"I think it might be helpful for everyone to remember that the purpose of a forum like this is to EXCHANGE IDEAS, not dictate what is right or wrong or good or bad. If you disagree with what someone else is suggesting, you can say so without being argumentative or completely slamming the guy (or girl)." - Smynx

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Actually someone is sending me 5 free males (brothers) today and I haven't found a home yet for the normal one (the other 4 are likely het pieds - 25% chance with the belly mark). I haven't seen them yet but they are eating and presumed in good health and captive bred. I'd like to get it to a new home right away so let me know if you are interested in this free male hatchling. His great grandfather was a pied but if you are interested in breeding for those I would recommend waiting until you can find one with the white belly with the black marks on the edge. Some het pieds don’t have these marks but IMHO your chances with a possible het are much better if you get one with them. I'll provide the info on the original breeder who didn't have time to sell these himself with the snake.

Thanks
    Randy, could you post a photo of the "belly mark"?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Some have more and some less so it's not always as clear-cut as I would like. Also, as mentioned, some for sure hets don't have it at all.

Here is about the best of the 25% chance het girls I hatched last year:

If one of these new males is a really good example I'll post a pic of him too. By the way, I’ve already found homes for all these freebies except the one that the breeder describes as not having the mark.

Basically you are looking for a clear white belly with thick dark black stripes at the edge of the belly. Usually the stripes are only near the tail though.

Some also claim that some normals have these stripes and hence yet another reason to doubt its usefulness. I took some pics of one of my possible het albino girls with something like this and will try to get them posted so we can see if there is any obvious way to distinguish between the sporadic het pied marker and false alarms.

Because it isn’t always extreme, not all hets have it, and some normals may have something like it, I would have to agree that it isn’t a perfect marker. However, after seeing it in two of my three original possible het males (and hearing about it in many for sure hets) and seeing it passed down to exactly half of the offspring of the two that had it, I’m pretty sure that it’s a useful tool to look for in possible hets.

Thanks
    Very interesting information. Thanks, Randy!

Thanks
    Indeed! Now for confirmation and to serve as a control in this "litmus test" I'm going to need you to send me one of those hets

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks
    I've been trying to convince my mom to let me get one, so I'm not entirely sure that I can get one. I'm hoping to have her convinced in about four or five days, and after that it's only a matter of getting a set-up. I am very interested in this snake and if I can get one, it will more likely than not be one from you. Also I was wondering how much this snake would cost. Thank you for your time.

Thanks
    Just want to say good decision to go with a reputable breeder like Randy- not only will that save you money down the road with vet bills, but you know that your potential pet is being cared for and in good and capable hands. Plus you know where to get advice haha Just wanted to butt in
    1.0 Ball Python [Icculus]
    >>>>Looking for a vet?<<<<
    http://www.herpvetconnection.com/
    http://www.arav.org

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I don't deserve the credit for this particular batch, they where produced by Raul Gomez. Also, they are free (Raul is apparently quite busy taking care of all the females).

The one I'm saving for you is the most normal looking one. Let me know one way or the other as soon as possible please and good luck with mom. Use the money you are saving to set up a good cage with a thermostat and thermometer.

Can you include a pic from the photo gallery in your post? I can’t seem to find anything that looks like a real static URL for the pic I uploaded. Three of these five brothers where prime examples of the alleged sporadic het pied sign and I’ve uploaded a belly pic of one of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast