Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,129

1 members and 3,128 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Registered User yourstruely_rachel's Avatar
    Thanks

a couple questions from a beginner.

I just got my first bearded dragon one week ago today. (the pet store said he is about one month old, and from nose to tail tip about 6-7 inches long)

First question, how much is too much food? I have a feeling if I kept giving food every time he finished the pile he would just eat himself to death. Today, including breakfast and dinner, he's eaten 20-25 small crickets, maybe 10 little bite sized pieces of mustard greens, and 3 pieces of apple. I try to imagine the size of his little stomach and I don't know where he is putting all this food. And yet he still acts like he wants more.

Second, he hates being touched or picked up. Should I be tough on him and handle anyways to make him used to it? Or will he come around on his own if I just let him be?

In general he seems really happy and healthy. Other than these two concerns I'm confident that everything else is going great.

I love my pets.

Thanks

Re: a couple questions from a beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by yourstruely_rachel View Post
    I just got my first bearded dragon one week ago today. (the pet store said he is about one month old, and from nose to tail tip about 6-7 inches long)

First question, how much is too much food? I have a feeling if I kept giving food every time he finished the pile he would just eat himself to death. Today, including breakfast and dinner, he's eaten 20-25 small crickets, maybe 10 little bite sized pieces of mustard greens, and 3 pieces of apple. I try to imagine the size of his little stomach and I don't know where he is putting all this food. And yet he still acts like he wants more.

Second, he hates being touched or picked up. Should I be tough on him and handle anyways to make him used to it? Or will he come around on his own if I just let him be?

In general he seems really happy and healthy. Other than these two concerns I'm confident that everything else is going great.
    With beardies, they will eat until full plus the babies seem to have a hollow leg... or two... Though it may seem like a lot, he's growing and using that energy. Are you dusting everything with calcium/vitamin powder properly? That's a definite must when feeding insects and salad. Also, use the fruit as a treat. It has a high sugar content and just like with kids, it should be considered dessert. Give him all the salad he will eat and then measure out the crickets for him like you're already doing. He needs both in his diet so that's a good way to keep them eating greens. Trust me when I say he'd rather just eat the crickets.

As for touching, you will want to handle him. Start by putting your hand in the tank near him and letting him get used to you. Touch him as you can or while he's eating. Most beardies are too lazy to run away from a stocked food bowl. Also pick him up gently in the tank and then let him go. That way he realizes you aren't just going to pick him up and eat him. It allows him to get used to handling with minimal stress. Once he's settled down with that, pick him up and stroke his back a bit while holding him. It won't take long before he's used to that as well. If you're comfortable with the idea, hand feeding also works. It's hard when they are that small but greens are easy to hold and let them see you mean food. I will warn you though, once that happens, they pick up begging quickly and are worse than most dogs I know.
    Ball Pythons: 1.1 Pastave (Regulus and Ceti), 0.1 Albino (Aria), 0.1 Lesser (Daenerys), 0.1 Mojave (Sangria), 1.0 Enchi Pastel (Declan), 0.1 Normal (Sydney), 1.0 Lesser pos. het Clown/Pied (Loki), 1.0 het Clown pos. het lavender albino (Liam), 0.2 het Clown (Cara and Milly)

Corn Snakes: 1.0 Blizzard (Flurry)

Other: 0.1 Bearded Dragon (Faranth), 0.1 Russian Tortoise (Henry), 1.1 Dogs (Floppy and Lucy), 2.1 Cats (Jack, Brando, and Godiva), 1 Very Understanding Husband

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dracoluna For This Useful Post:

MSG-KB (03-20-2013),yourstruely_rachel (03-17-2013)