Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,453

2 members and 3,451 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Temperature drops

I bought a ball python yesterday and both pet stores In town were out of Any type of invisable heating method within a reasonable price range, so I bought a Uth on amazon, problem is, it won't be here until next week. During the day I can keep the temps high but it's impossible to keep them up at night. Because I can't keep the light on.
    It gets down to about 69-72 at night and I'm worried, will he be okay for a week?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I would not take that gamble. Use a red or black heat bulb. The black ones hardly put out any light.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Kat_Dog (03-15-2013)

Thanks

Unhappy

Okay, I'll see what I can find tomorrow, its really warm tonight, it's about midnight right now and the temp is still reading 81 so it should stay barely warm enough tonight. Tomorrow I'll go to the store and see what I can do. I didn't see any black bulbs, but ill see if there are red bulbs. What sucks though is that, I know red bulbs are bright and my snake is in a loft that two of my sisters sleep in.

Do you think a black light(like the kind you use for parties) would generate enough heat? I think I have one laying around somewhere...

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

Re: Temperature drops

Quote Originally Posted by Kat_Dog View Post
    Okay, I'll see what I can find tomorrow, its really warm tonight, it's about midnight right now and the temp is still reading 81 so it should stay barely warm enough tonight. Tomorrow I'll go to the store and see what I can do. I didn't see any black bulbs, but ill see if there are red bulbs. What sucks though is that, I know red bulbs are bright and my snake is in a loft that two of my sisters sleep in.

Do you think a black light(like the kind you use for parties) would generate enough heat? I think I have one laying around somewhere...
    No fluorescent lamps don't put out much heat.

Infrared heat lamps like this one put out a large amount of heat and very little visible light. Red light is the best if there will be people trying to sleep in the room as red light doesn't impair night vision, and is less intrusive than other colors of light.:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

Keep the cage above 75 degrees anything below that can lead to illness. Do not even attempt to feed your snake until you have stable cage temperatures of 88-92 on the hot side, and 78-82 on the cool side. Keep in mind that UTH's don't increase the temperature of the air inside the cage, they only heat surfaces. This means that if the air temperature in the room that the cage is in drops below 75 degrees you will need a heat lamp to boost the air temps inside the cage.

Did you order a thermostat to regulate your UTH? What type of thermometers do you have?

Check out this thread on cage heating. It goes through all of the pros/cons of different heat sources as well as lists good thermometers and thermostats, and the difference between them. Stay away from the overpriced junk sold in pet stores!

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...t-Thermometers

And just for good measure read this thread as well if you haven't already:

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ius)-Caresheet
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 03-15-2013 at 04:18 AM.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

Annarose15 (03-15-2013),Willie76 (03-15-2013)

Thanks

Take it back to the pet store to hold for you until the UTH arrives and you have time to set it up & check temps?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greekinese View Post
    Take it back to the pet store to hold for you until the UTH arrives and you have time to set it up & check temps?
    This

When you buy a snake you need the set up running BEFORE bringing the snake home.
    Something like bringing a fish home with no tank set up ...
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks
    Thank you for the very informitive thread on heating! I have been looking for something like that for over 2 months!

ya I bought a thermostat as well. I have 2 thermometers with probes, one is also a hygrometer. I guess I should also buy a basic one to measure air temps too?
    I'll go buy a red light today and see how everyone reacts.

I kept the enclosure at a steady 74-76 last night by wrapping it with a towel, it's been pretty hot over here(104 during the day) so a good amount of heat was retained.

Thanks
    I went to walmart before I was going to go to the pet store, and waiting there, just for me, was a black heat bulb for $6. It was the only one left! All the reptiles stuff is starting to go out of stock because Petco just sold all five of their Cornsnakes in the last month. Dx

Thanks for your help everyone, now I don't have to worry about complaints or my scale-baby :3