Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,238

1 members and 3,237 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Rehomed a snake, pastel/unknown morph?

A co-worker of mine unfortunately had to downsize her collection, and so sold me two adult males, a spider and what is supposedly a pastel, for $100. She had previously told me the pastel, although given to her as such, may be something more, as he does not look "typical". He's much, much brighter yellow than most pastels, without a hint of browning out - in fact, he's apparently gotten lighter with age. He also has an almost completely light yellow head and his blushing, rather than being a faded brown/black, is the same bright yellow as the rest of his light parts. Apparently she's previously asked around online and in person at shows and most people were baffled, with a few suggesting super pastel or pastel vanilla. Looking around at pics myself, and not being an expert, it looks to me like he could be a pastel vanilla, super pastel, or even super pastel vanilla, but he isn't an obvious match for any of them. Honestly he might even just be a special line of pastel for all I know like Citrus or Blonde - I'm definitely a beginner at IDing morphs. Just wondering if any of you could lend any insight - even if the judgement is just a normal pastel, that's cool, because the price was cheap and I was helping out a friend, and he'll make a good breeder for my spider female. Although he's several factors brighter than my female pastel, so if nothing else I assume he must be a "good" pastel.

One thing to note, he apparently got burnt on a light in his enclosure by his previous, previous owner, not the woman I bought it from but rather from the person she rescued him from (and he was a rescue, I believe - he'd been in fairly bad conditions beforehand, I believe, although this was years ago). Hence the scarring along the back.

His colors also are more vivid in real life; in some of these pictures he looks lighter, others darker. It's an iPhone, best camera I have, sorry. He's a real lemony yellow.

House Snakes Addict... Aes_Sidhe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 848 Posts
    Uhhh That The Hell happen to this poor animal Back.. are those bite or burn scars ?? Edit: (ok read whole post i see burn....)

Could be some melamine disorder.... or could be super pastel or Vanila Pastel...

Make sure You provide him right living condition temp and humidity and nutrition wise wait few sheds and then maybe this animal will start looking more normal...
    Last edited by Aes_Sidhe; 03-13-2013 at 11:07 PM.

CLICK HERE to LIKE The RLReptiles on FACEBOOK

Rafal Lisinski

1.0 Striped African House Snake "Marduk"
    0.1 Striped African House Snake Ishtar
    1.0 black phase Brown House Snake Seth
    0.1 black phase Brown House Snake Nephthys

Thanks
    Yeah, he was burnt as a baby. That was a few years ago, though, so its as healed as it is going to be. Apparently it does interfere with shedding, and he usually needs help completing the shed as it gets caught on the scars.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Rehomed a snake, pastel/unknown morph?

Quote Originally Posted by Aes_Sidhe View Post
    Uhhh That The Hell happen to this poor animal Back.. are those bite or burn scars ?? Edit: (ok read whole post i see burn....)

Could be some melamine disorder.... or could be super pastel or Vanila Pastel...

Make sure You provide him right living condition temp and humidity and nutrition wise wait few sheds and then maybe this animal will start looking more normal...
    ^ That was also my first guess when looking at him and reading the information. I don't see a super pastel but possibly a vanilla pastel. Good luck with him and hope he's none the worse for the experience, what with his scarring and whatnot. Poor guy.
    Before all else, be armed. - Niccolo Machiavelli

Thanks
    Sorry, I'm unfamiliar... What's a melamine disorder? I can't seem to even find anything on google.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts
    What they mean is that sometimes ball pythons are known to change colors under extreme stress or poor care. There are examples of snakes turning completely silver or white and grey, then after time they change back.

Nothing on you or your friend you understand, but it is something we see. Myself, I suspect he is probably a super pastel. The reason being, he has a LOT in common with my husbands super pastel.

It's possible he could carry vanilla, it's also possible he's just a pastel. If he has some form of what I call "fading out" once he settles in with you and eats good for a month or so, he may shed out a different color. I've seen it in my own collection as well as here. Or he may stay just the way he is. He's a lovely animal, no matter what he is. Pity about his battle scars, but they add character you know.

If your weather allows for outside photos, try to get a few of him on a neutral background, like a soft blue or even medium green, in as close to direct sunlight as you can. This will help your phone capture as close as it can to his true coloring. He does appear to have a faint brown out line, much like you would expect on a super pastel.

Once he's out of quarantine, I'd certainly breed that handsome boy. I think he'll make some amazing bumblebees. Congratulations to you.

Gale
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Hes a gorgeous snake, regardless. And you did right by that snake to rescue him. For $50, i would have rescued him too. Kudos to you
    :clapclap:

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by 4theSNAKElady; 03-14-2013 at 11:40 AM.
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

BPnet Senior Member SquamishSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks

Rehomed a snake, pastel/unknown morph?

Gorgeous! I think the scarring is from rat bites, though.

And I think Aes meant "melaNIN" not melamine lol

Either way, what a pretty snake!
    Last edited by SquamishSerpents; 03-14-2013 at 11:44 AM.

Thanks
    Looks like a pastel paradox... all the black smudging from the back....

Thanks

Burns and all, I like him!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast