Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,916

0 members and 1,916 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Question Uh... is the lack of equilibrium normal?

Okay, so whenever my ball sheds, it's almost like she's dazed. She can't hold onto ANYTHING, from the edge of my computer (her favorite spot), to staying on my neck, to hanging out on my headboard (her other favorite spot). She just falls off. Is this normal, because it goes away as soon as she is done shedding? Am I worrying over nothing? HELP!
    Remember that a snake will never judge you on what you look like, how you dress, how much you weigh, or how tall or short you are*.

*They may, however, get mad if you don't give them rodents. Then you have a problem.

0.1 Shiba Inu (Ivy )
    0.1 Schipperkie (Ruby )
    0.1 Normal (Mina, my baby )
    3.0 Annoying Brothers (Jacob, Zachery, and CJ )

Thanks

Uh... is the lack of equilibrium normal?

Is it a spider?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Het Snow BCI
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python

Thanks
    Signature suggests it's a normal. Is it while she's shedding? You should never handle while they're in shed. They're busy growing and replacing their entire body's skin, so it would make sense she's not herself. They usually can't see because of a build-up of fluid between their old eyecaps and the new ones coming in, which would make her disoriented since she can't see. They're also sensitive, I'm surprised she's not hissing or snapping if you're handling her while she's in shed, they're not comfortable at all.
    Black Pewter het Hypo Vestris; Black Pastel Enchi Zamira; Black Pastel Cheryn; Hypo Enchi Sofia; Lesser Pastel Eren; Super Mojave ???; Piebald Mako; Fire Vin; Pastel Estelle; Spider Hanji, Ezri; Normal Angelina, John, Aradia; Mojave Joe; Anerythreustic Kenyan Sand Boa ???; German Shepherd Dog Atticus; Rats Snowman, Colette, Calliope, Eliza, ???, ???

Thanks

Re: Uh... is the lack of equilibrium normal?

It seems odd that she's completely losing her balance like that. Since she is having issues while shedding, I'd recommend not handling her during that time. Let her stay in her cage so she doesn't fall off the various objects you put her on, and then handle her again once she's done.

-Jen
    LLLReptile and Supply Company, Inc -- Your one stop herp shops online, and retail stores in Southern California!
    Check us out on facebook - www.facebook.com/LLLReptile
    For questions about products or animals, or customer service questions, please call our toll free number at 888-547-3784.

Thanks
    No, no, no. I only had to do it twice: once when I was moving things around in her cage (so I wouldn't squish her, I put her on computer, and she almost slid off ), and once when something broke in her cage (Don't ask how, I'm not even sure myself. Put on head board, and same thing happened. Tried neck, and WEEE! Luckily, I was done by then). She's never hissed at me, even though I had to move her when her eyes were completely clouded, and what's even odder is that she's REALLY young. I only really handle her when she'd done shedding. She's weird...
    Remember that a snake will never judge you on what you look like, how you dress, how much you weigh, or how tall or short you are*.

*They may, however, get mad if you don't give them rodents. Then you have a problem.

0.1 Shiba Inu (Ivy )
    0.1 Schipperkie (Ruby )
    0.1 Normal (Mina, my baby )
    3.0 Annoying Brothers (Jacob, Zachery, and CJ )

Thanks
    When they're in shed, leave them completely alone. Don't move things around in their cage, don't move them. If something breaks and it's sharp, take it out but leave your snake alone. Moving her while she's deep in blue is a good way to have her fall off things because she can't see. I imagine it's like trying to see through a plastic grocery bag. She's sore and unhappy and blind and you're pretty lucky she hasn't tried to bite you yet. The most I do with my snake while they're in shed is lift their hide to make sure they're still in the enclosure then leave them alone. Arranging the cage can wait until your snake can see well enough not to fall.
    Black Pewter het Hypo Vestris; Black Pastel Enchi Zamira; Black Pastel Cheryn; Hypo Enchi Sofia; Lesser Pastel Eren; Super Mojave ???; Piebald Mako; Fire Vin; Pastel Estelle; Spider Hanji, Ezri; Normal Angelina, John, Aradia; Mojave Joe; Anerythreustic Kenyan Sand Boa ???; German Shepherd Dog Atticus; Rats Snowman, Colette, Calliope, Eliza, ???, ???