Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,390

0 members and 3,390 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Feeding live???

Thanks

Feeding live???

So I recently purchased a new female bp, and she came to me as a live eater. I have had problems trying to switch her over (tried scenting, braining, etc) and they don't seem to work...I believe it is because she doesn't have the most aggressive feeding response, and because she is extremely overhead shy (as soon as I stick my arm in her tank she gets nervous and wants nothing to do with the f/t). I believe I will be able to switch her over eventually, but that will be after she gets used to people/being handled/people reaching into her tank (she came from a big breeder who probably never touched her)

So onto my question....I am extremely worried about the live prey chewing on/killing my snake. Although I am right there supervising the entire time, sometimes things happen (ex. answering the phone, going to the bathroom). Would putting in a piece of food (bread, a carrot, etc) keep the rodent from chewing on the snake because they would be chewing on food??

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Re: Feeding live???

Feeding live can be safe if done responsibly. Food in the enclosure can help if the feeder hasn't eaten in a while.

Some responsible live feeding tips:

1) Feed the appropriate size food. I like smaller and more frequent meals than larger and less often. Weanlings and small rats(and smaller) are safe and harmless(to some extent). They're also not as conscious to danger as an adult would be. Adult rats can pack a nasty bite and are much stronger at fighting back, which is why "smaller and more frequent" is the way to go. I feed all of my adults weaned/small rats once a week. And multiple smalls for the big girls. A medium size would be the max appropriate size for a ball python.

2) Keep the feeder well fed and hydrated. They're less likely to see your snake as food. Hungry rats are dangerous rats. They will eat your snake if left unattended for extended periods of time. This is the reason for most snake killing incidences.

3) Don't dangle the live feeder. This puts them in panic mode. A freaked out feeder is a dangerous feeder. Gently place the feeder into your enclosure. Calm feeders are good.

4) Monitor your feedings and keep a tool, such as tongs, on hand to assist your snake in case the feeder tries to bite down. I use a chop stick to stick in the feeder's mouth if its in a bad position.

5) Don't keep the feeder in with your snake longer than 30 mins max or so. Some people have a shorter time frame. If he doesn't eat within that time frame, take out the feeder and save it for next week.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by satomi325; 03-10-2013 at 11:30 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (03-10-2013)

Thanks

Feeding live???

I've never had problems I feed only live... Worst i had my first ball got bit by a mouse when he wrapped it up, from that point on he strikes every pray item in the face takes the rat face in his mouth they can't bite him lol smart guy. Just don't leave the food in with it for hours on end with out checking on it that's when problems happen.
    Normals 1.3
    Spider .1
    Carpet Python .1
    Dog APBT .1

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts

Feeding live???

Simple, don't walk away. If you need to leave, take the rodent out.
    There's nothing wrong with feeding live, just do it responsibly

Thanks

Re: Feeding live???

Watch like a hawk and you'll be ok

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    0.1 Albino Ball Python

Thanks
    i like watching honestly, i think my ball is aweseome. but i wish i had a female regular