Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,141

1 members and 3,140 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Heat tape questions

Is it better to solder THG heat tape or use the new connectors? I am leaning toward soldering because I am wiring 6 pieces in parallel. I just don't know how the new connectors are going to work for parallel wiring.
    Jim

2.2 Ball Pythons
    Female Pastel (Gella), Female Butter (Khaleesi), Male Spider (Igor), Male Pastel Butter (Tig)

Reptiles
    1.0 Bearded Dragon (RIP Freddie)

Thanks

Re: Heat tape questions

I am testing the new connections now but so far I love the easy of connecting them. The total area of actual contact is great and when using the THG supplied tool and a hole punch very simple to connect. All connections are very tight and secure. I have soldered all my heat tape connections in the past but I am starting to think Rich and THG have a great idea there is a lot more contact area that the older calorique flexwatt crimp connectors which I never liked but the new connections when done as described on the Reptile Basics webpage seem to work great. I have been running my test connections for a couple weeks and they appear to be working great . If you know how to solder you will always get a better connection. Soldering THG is also much easier that flexwatt all you need to do is trim away the black side of the heat tape with an xacto knife or razor blade and solder to the exposed copper strip no plastic to scrape or melt away.
    Robie

2.0 Normal Ball Pythons Peek a Boo & Dezmond
    1.0 Black Pewter Ball Python Pepe Le Pewter
    0.1 Piebald Ball Python Slinky
    0.1 Siberian Husky Danadog
    2.5 Fancy Rat's Patch, Robin Hood, Lucky, Lucy, Bolt, Cinnamon, Patcheta
    1.1 Great Kiddo's
    0.1 Wonderful Wife
    1.0 Awesome Dad (me)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RestlessRobie For This Useful Post:

whispersinmyhead (03-09-2013)

Thanks
    Will the ring type connectors/terminators allow for two wires for parallel wiring. I figure they should fit and then crimp the ring terminator on. I am planning on ordering 2 wire connection sets and 4 connection sets without the wire. I planned to use in cord for power and the second one for spare wired to connect each of the 6 pieces of heat tape.
    Jim

2.2 Ball Pythons
    Female Pastel (Gella), Female Butter (Khaleesi), Male Spider (Igor), Male Pastel Butter (Tig)

Reptiles

Thanks
    I soldered mine working fine. At full power(no thermostat) I found the THG IS 25f higher.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    The only problem with the rivets I can see is the quality of the revet. Soldering is fine too as long as you can do it well. I personally would try 'old' school rivets and roves but then again I have a case sitting in the shed. The only thing to consider is Canadian law, if you are running a business out of your home it may be far cheaper to just buy UTH (like ultratherms) than use heat tape. To comply with wiring in commercial space you need an electrician to wire everything. Failure is very serious (no insurance coverage and criminal negligence causing, damage, injury, or death, carries jail time) Just in case that is a consideration. I would suggest as the new heat tape runs hotter than safe temps (over 100ºF) a failsafe be added.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

whispersinmyhead (03-09-2013)

Thanks
    This is residential space. No business. We have an electrician in the family to check over my wiring as well. I am guessing the alligator clip (old flexwatt) connectors are also not within "legal" either in commercial space.

I will be adding a fail safe as well. I think I will try these new connections. I was just thinking solder may be best. I haven't soldered in a long time though. From what I remember it was too difficult. I just want a good strong connection. I think the rivets will be good.
    Jim

2.2 Ball Pythons

Reptiles

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts

Heat tape questions

No the old ones are not either. It is just something to keep in mind. You can do all the work if the electrician inspects it. That makes it legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Makes sense. I am going to see how the new connections work and go from there. I hope I can use regular pliers to crush the rivets.
    Jim

2.2 Ball Pythons

Reptiles

Thanks
    Are standard pliers ok for crimping? Should I use linesman pliers?
    Jim

2.2 Ball Pythons

Reptiles

Thanks

Connections

If you have experience soldering then I would suggest soldering. You simply can't beat a good solder joint which is basically a weld. Make sure you do it right and give each connection a good tug to test it when you are done-

http://www.reptilebasics.com/solder-heat-tape
    Rich Goldzung

www.reptilebasics.com

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reptilebasics For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (03-12-2013),whispersinmyhead (03-11-2013)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast