Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,348

2 members and 3,346 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Yea the Admins have to do it for you lol I am sure that jingle will bring them around soon!

Thanks

Western diamondback pics.

Quote Originally Posted by pookie! View Post
    Yea the Admins have to do it for you lol I am sure that jingle will bring them around soon!
    I am hopeful. Ill get it sorted out. I'm sick right now though and feel like crap so I'm going to take a nap before I start on that headache of an endeavor. later all!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Herpenthusiast3 For This Useful Post:

pookie! (03-09-2013)

Thanks

Re: Western diamondback pics.

​don't lose sleep over it, really who cares. The corrections have been made. Anyone concerned with the actual Latin name of the species you saved now has that info.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Seanjackmc For This Useful Post:

Rob (03-10-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jason_ladouceur View Post
    There is no need to apologize. You did a great thing. I simply wanted to point out that the animal you were handling was not the animal you thought it was and provide you and any people reading this post acurate information.

You think don't research and acquiring knowledge is a waste of time? Odd, what exactly about that do you find not worth time or effort?
    I'm sorry but pointing out a miss labeled animal,especially a venomous one is not nit picking IMO, it's simply sharing of information. And as far as I understand it is kind of the point of this forum board. And you asked who cares about the right Latin name for the animal in question, I do, most serious Herp enthusiasts do; researchers, scientist; oh and I'd bet the attending physician in the event of a bite would be very interested in knowing the correct name of the animal that caused the bite. Although the natural habitat's of atrox and viridis don't overlap, the antivenom used is the same, and the bite treatment protocol would be basically the same. It would probably be best if they didn't have to waste anytime trying to figure how you got bit by an animal that doesn't live anywhere close to where you were bit.
    I don't understand your post. "You think don't research and acquiring knowledge is a waste of time?" What does that translate to? I really don't understand how the care of bite from either species is "basically the same" yet they would waste time figuring out how you were bit by a snake misidentified? My only point is he saved an animal! Congrats to the op. he is not a scientist, or researcher just a reptile lover doing some good.
    Last edited by Seanjackmc; 03-10-2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Auto correct

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Good job.

But in future, don't bother pinning a venomous snakes for no reason.

1. You aren't experienced in pinning venomous snakes, you are presenting yourself with an opportunity to get tagged.

2. It's needless stress on the animal. Just get a stick, and move it. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by jason_ladouceur View Post
    It's awesome that you took the time to move that animal to hopefully protect it from being killed by campers. I would like to point out though that the snake in your hands is not crotalus atrox. It's crotalus viridis. I believe in fact it's crotalus viridis oreganus. Might not be a bad idea to at least know what species your dealing with if your going to put your hands on it.
    That's not viridis Jason, that's Crotalus oreganus - Northern pacific rattlesnake.

Thanks

I didn't pin a snake for no reason. I'm very aware that I put myself in danger but that's a decision I was willing to make to hopefully help the snake. I didn't ask for your permission. I posted these pics so you can appreciate the snake not so I can get advice on what i should or should not do pertaining to an already past incident. Thanks for your concern. I wasn't asking how to handle a snake or even as to whether it is or was a good idea. Irrelevant due to the fact that my weekend hobbies don't include catching rattlesnakes. This was one isolated incident In which I felt I was doing a good thing. Moving the snake with a stick wouldn't have accomplished anything besides irritating him. If my goal hadn't been relocating the snake then i wouldn't have even gone near it. So thanks for dropping in to help identify the species but honestly your help probably should have just stopped there.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Herpenthusiast3 For This Useful Post:

I-KandyReptiles (03-13-2013),pookie! (03-11-2013)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Herpenthusiast3 View Post
    I didn't pin a snake for no reason. I'm very aware that I put myself in danger but that's a decision I was willing to make to hopefully help the snake. I didn't ask for your permission. I posted these pics so you can appreciate the snake not so I can get advice on what i should or should not do pertaining to an already past incident. Thanks for your concern. I wasn't asking how to handle a snake or even as to whether it is or was a good idea. Irrelevant due to the fact that my weekend hobbies don't include catching rattlesnakes. This was one isolated incident In which I felt I was doing a good thing. Moving the snake with a stick wouldn't have accomplished anything besides irritating him. If my goal hadn't been relocating the snake then i wouldn't have even gone near it. So thanks for dropping in to help identify the species but honestly your help probably should have just stopped there.
    Moving it on a stick would have irritated it...? Far less than pinning, otherwise venomous keepers would pin our snakes every day.

I'm just pointing out to you, that pinning a snake serves you no purpose. Unless you're trying to look macho.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seanjackmc View Post
    I don't understand your post. "You think don't research and acquiring knowledge is a waste of time?" What does that translate to? I really don't understand how the care of bite from either species is "basically the same" yet they would waste time figuring out how you were bit by a snake misidentified? My only point is he saved an animal! Congrats to the op. he is not a scientist, or researcher just a reptile lover doing some good.
    My most humble of apologies for confusing you. It was a typo it should have read "you think that... ".
    By the time I noticed what it said it was to late to edit my post. But on the plus side you were right about something at least. Some people do love to nit pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crotalids View Post
    Good job.

But in future, don't bother pinning a venomous snakes for no reason.

1. You aren't experienced in pinning venomous snakes, you are presenting yourself with an opportunity to get tagged.

2. It's needless stress on the animal. Just get a stick, and move it. End of story.

That's not viridis Jason, that's Crotalus oreganus - Northern pacific rattlesnake.
    You are correct. Old habits die hard I suppose. I completely forgot that they had been elevated from a sub species of viridis to there own species. And don't worry I don't think you were showing off with your knowledge at all.
    Visit us for all your housing needs http://www.herphouses.com/

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jason_ladouceur For This Useful Post:

Crotalids (03-11-2013)

Thanks

I believe any educational informations about the snake in question
    Is of worth value. I still don't understand though how trying to balance to snake on a stick would have Put me in less danger. I had a fairly good distance to go before I could release the snake. So how would walking around with the snake on a stick be be safer if I have said distance to cover. I wasn't trying to be macho?! Lmao. I was trying to make sure I didn't get bit and at the time having positive control of the business end. seemed like the best way to accomplish this. Once again, I'm not a professional hots keeper or even someone who will ever have an interest in keeping hots. I just helped the snake as best I could. I haven't even seen these pics since 09 and I'm starting to realize that posting them was a bad idea on my part. I will be more careful not to share photos here that are going to result In petty arguments,
    Criticisms, and knowledge show boating. The only part about this post that I can sincerely apologize about is the title and misinformation within the listing of the snake as a western diamondback. The situation is over and done with and I won't hesitate to say that I would have done it the same way again.
    Last edited by Herpenthusiast3; 03-11-2013 at 12:43 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Herpenthusiast3 For This Useful Post:

Annageckos (09-19-2013),Seanjackmc (03-11-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts

I don't see how this turned into the big to do it did. Great we got the correct name of the snake out there. But get off the OP's back. The guy likes snakes so he picked it up and put it somewhere safe. Getting all butt hurt over stressing it out and what not is a little much. It's a wild snake, most of us here got into snakes by finding them out in the wild and catching them. He found it took a few cool pics of it and sent it on its way. Sounds alright to me. Everything doesn't need to turn into a gigantic debate.
    Last edited by Rob; 03-11-2013 at 01:07 PM.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rob For This Useful Post:

771subliminal (03-13-2013),Anatopism (03-11-2013),Annageckos (09-19-2013),Herpenthusiast3 (03-11-2013),Seanjackmc (03-11-2013)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast