Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,358

2 members and 3,356 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Burmeese

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Living in Florida I hear stories far too often of 'giant snakes' found in the Everglades. They always turn out to be Burms. Do you know what happens to them when they are caught? They are destroyed b/c of inexperienced over eager keepers who find out they really can't handle how big AND powerful these snakes get. So they take the irresponsible, ignorant way out and dump them. Even the park rangers hate that they are put in the position to destroy these magnificent creatures, but have no choice. I'm NOT saying that Mikey is irresposible or ignorant (b/c he seems to be doing all right by the snakes he has), I'm just saying that I'm sure many go in w/good intentions but still end up becoming overwhelmed. Mickey, just think long and hard and maybe even wait until you a few more years of successful experience as a keeper before making a decision.
    ~Caren~
    "Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." Confucius
    1.0 Other Half - Mark, 0.1 Child - Samantha
    1.0.2 BP:Smitty,Sophie,Unamed One, 1.1 Cali King:Serpico,Simone
    1.2 Canines, 0.2 Felines
    1.1 RES Turtles - Thomas & Thomasina

It sounds to me that some of you guys are more concerned with stroking people's egos and playing nicey nice rather than the welfare of our hobby. I say let him get a damn Burm if he wants and lets see what happens to it 6 months from now.....my bet is it'll either be dead or in a rescue shelter. I'm done with this thread.

Thanks
    Uh oh guys, not again! This is getting ugly.

But I do have to agree with David. So if you're wondering if he ever agrees with anyone, there you go. In fact we all seem to be in agreement on this one, it's not a good idea right now. Especially if you're not going to be around to take care of it. Who will take care of it when you're not there? Please don't jump into this, I'm afraid it is a decision you will later regret, and it will be at the expense of the burmese. Wait until you have more experience (much more) before you make a decision like this.
    1.0 Ball Python, Norbert
    0.1 Corn Snake, Nagini
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa, Peeves

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    David, you just have a different manner in which you choose to express your opinions, I'm the type that prefers that whole, 'honey than vinegar' approach, IF that doesn't work, then a more aggressive approach is warranted...and I'm not afraid to go there, just don't think it's necessary to start from there. 'Nuff said for me!
    ~Caren~
    "Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." Confucius
    1.0 Other Half - Mark, 0.1 Child - Samantha
    1.0.2 BP:Smitty,Sophie,Unamed One, 1.1 Cali King:Serpico,Simone
    1.2 Canines, 0.2 Felines
    1.1 RES Turtles - Thomas & Thomasina

Thanks
    You're bet is as good as nothing. Instead of trying to help me you think its stroking an ego. The only ego being stroked is yours everytime you decide to bash somebody on this forum in order to make yourself look alot smarter. My chances are that there are people on that farm with 10x more expiernece then you have and "your getting way ahead of yourself" by trying to tell me its going to die.. If you read the posts i made earlier there are people on that farm expiernced in taking care of snakes, and have been wanting one for a while, but dont have a computer which they can order and there arent any exotic pet stores around. Please refrain from trying to tell me what I am and am not capable of doing becasue I know my own limit ty.. When you get to be about 35-40 and have spent most of your life on a different island dealing with these snakes (like my fiances cousins) then you can talk to me about how you feel the snakes conditions will be. I am sure it will be just fine
    " I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex " - Mikey -

1 Human/Girlfriend - my baby<3
    1 Colombian Red Tail Boa - Casper
    1 Ball Python - Olah

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Dude relax man I feel the same way but the fact of the matter is that he said he is considering getting one. In my book this means he was thinking about it. All i got to say is that you got to do tons of research. I say a burmese isnt for everyone. A ball python is a small and easy to handle snake. A burmese python is a snake to be reckoned with. First of all they crap like a horse, live for like 30 years and eat alot. These huge snakes often require their own room down the line. And when a ball python bites you it may bleed a little. But if you get on the bad side of a Burm you better get the hell out of that room. These are still wild animals and rely very heavily on their instinct for survival. No matter who you are these snakes are the Hercules of the snake world and could easily over power you.

David chill out, and Maniac just give it some time.
    Thanks,
    Damien
    0.1 2001 Ball Python 1200 grams.
    1.0 1994 Ball Python 3800 Grams.

Thanks
    Sorry Goz, But it is always a put down when somebody tells you your not capable of something.. I'm sure if you tried do something new and were constatly told you couldnt do it and it would just fail on you, the only thing that would do to you is provoke you to actualy go ahead with it. Maybe if i was told more facts then bashing I wouldnt be so quick to jump on it. But like I said, Im not alone on this snake and there are more then a couple of strong men who can deal with that snake. You guys just gotta cut me some slack on the noob junk.
    " I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex " - Mikey -

1 Ball Python - Olah

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thats David with the noob junk. Like i say in every post like this. No one is ever born with all the knowledge in the world. Its learned from other keepers, books and such other things.

And David you came here not too long ago saying how sorry you were and how much you regretted this and that. And how glad you were to be back and such. I dont know or want to know what you did before to warrant an apology but i am thinking it was something along these same lines.
    Thanks,
    Damien
    0.1 2001 Ball Python 1200 grams.
    1.0 1994 Ball Python 3800 Grams.

Thanks
    Yes I'm sure an inexpeirenced person who just got a snake and wanted a little bit of information wouldnt like the slang "noob" to be called.. Kinda makes the forums seem unfriendly.

1 Ball Python - Olah

i am thinking it was something along these same lines.
    Your thinking is incorrect. What happened is not public information and I'm not going to make it public.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast