Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,308

2 members and 3,306 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Nail cutting advice

I have a tegu and his nails get pretty sharp i have some rough rocks in the encolsure hoping he would file his nails down as he walked but it doesn't seem like enough. I need advice on the best way to cut or file the nails i have also heard of cauterizing the nails. Which way is the best?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Are you familiar with cutting dog nails? Same principle, don't get the quick, which you can easily see from under the nail, and use good sharp trimmers! It would be easiest to cut the nails when they are down for the night and still.

Angela

Thanks
    I'm not sure how well Tegus take to the water but my Savannah tends to wear down his nails naturally in his enclosure and in my bathtub.
    5.5.13 C. Ciliatus - Specialize in Super Dals
    0.0.1 V. Exanthematicus (Skorge)
    4.4 U. Lineatus
    1.2 N. Amyae
    1.2.2 N. levis levis
    1.0 U. Pietschmanni (Pietsch)
    5.2.2 U. Fimbriatus

Lots of BPs focusing on Clown stuff in 2014.

1.0 P. Reticulatus 50% Dwarf Purple Albino het Gen Stripe

Chris from The Lizard Horde
    www.thelizardhorde.com
    Our Iherp Reptile Collection
    https://www.facebook.com/TheLizardHorde

Thanks
    My girlfriend is a dog groomer she has some really good dog nail trimmers. I put him in the tub but he doesnt move much he finds a spot and relaxs.
    Last edited by mustang91302; 03-07-2013 at 01:55 PM.

Thanks
    You don't need to trim them. They aren't meant to be handled and cuddled. Rocks/dirt/debri in a properly set up enclosure are enough to naturally wear them down to where they should be. Anything more is for you, and is nothing more than additional stress on the animal that it doesn't need.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    You can use regular nail clippers to snip the sharp tips. Try not to take too much at once as you'll hit the quick, which is painful and will make it bleed. If you do accidentally hit it, you can use flour, cornstarch, or styptic powder to stop the bleeding. Just kind of pack it into the tip. The styptic powder is the best option, and you can find it at most pet stores.

I've never heard of cauterizing toenails to shorten them, not even sure how that would even work. We have cautery sticks at our clinic we use if we hit a bad bleeder, but that's about it.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~ Herm Albright

The current zoo:
    Pets
    2.1 Felis catus; 1.2 Ringneck Doves; 1.1 Budgies; bunches o' Rats/Mice (pets and feeders);
    2.1 BCI; 1.0 BP; 1.0 Corn; 1.0 Honduran Milksnake; 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa; 0.1 Dumeril's Boa; 1.0 Texas Ratsnake; 1.0 Calico Black Ratsnake; 1.1 Western Hognose; 0.1 Beardie; 0.1 Tawny Plated Lizard; 1.0 Blue-Tongue Skink; 0.1 Crestie; 0.1 Spiny-tailed Iguana; 0.0.1 Chaco Striped Knee Tarantula
    Fosters/Rescues
    2.0 BCI
    0.2.2 BP
    1.0 Corn
    1.0 Red-Foot Tortoise
    1.0 Greek Tortoise
    0.0.10 Leopard Tortoises
    0.0.1 Asian Vine Snake

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Trim with pet nail trimmers. Try not to get the quick, but if you do it's not the end of the universe.

My monitors have plenty of dirt and rocks and such and their nails get hugely overgrown, even when Moggie had her outdoor enclosure with logs to climb on, mulch to dig in, rocks to lie on and turn over... her nails still got very overgrown. I cut them when they look too long, or they can and will break, which can be much worse than the "stress" of cutting the nail.

And tegus often seem to like contact and handling. My Groo used to follow me around and come climb into my lap in the outdoor cage. The monitors on the other hand.... not so much.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    I have kept various species for several years now, ranging from 6'+ black throats, niles, and water monitors to indicus complex and boscs. I've never had an animal kept in a proper naturalistic environment have a nail issue, nor have I ever had them break...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Good for you.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

aldebono (04-16-2013)

Thanks

Re: Nail cutting advice

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Good for you.
    If you're having that much of an issue with nails, I would be willing to bet your enclosure is not set up properly. Any pictures of your set ups? I know of ZERO experienced knowledgeable keepers who have to go out of their way to stress their monitor to trim their nails. Sorry that you seem to value your ego pertaining to your husbandry above the health and stress of the animal