Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,758

0 members and 2,758 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My new boa!

Thanks

My new boa!

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I really appreciate any and all input, I am freaking in love with this snake lol. I just really hope he doesn't turn darkkk brown like the big one I saw the other day, I almost couldn't even see the patterning it was so dark. But I love his side patterning too, I just didn't realize there could be this much variation in pattern/color...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: My new boa!

Quote Originally Posted by _Rumbler View Post
    Thanks for all the replies everyone! I really appreciate any and all input, I am freaking in love with this snake lol. I just really hope he doesn't turn darkkk brown like the big one I saw the other day, I almost couldn't even see the patterning it was so dark. But I love his side patterning too, I just didn't realize there could be this much variation in pattern/color...

There are LOTS of different Red Tail localities; there could be a chance that you maybe have a cross of one. Without knowing or being able to prove out the genetics unfortunately it'll be hard to tell. Your little one getting SUPER dark is something I don't see, but every boa is different. Usually the ones that get that dark are something more than just your average BCI. The tail pattern looks more BCC-ish to me though as well, but the coloring's not vibrant enough imo. Did the seller have any information on this guy/gal? Or any info on the parents? That would be the best (and easiest) way to find out if you have more than "just" a BCI.

Either way as long as you're happy with him/her, that's what counts.

EDIT: I keep looking at the last few pictures you posted and I dunno, it looks like more than a BCI to me. But I don't think it's BCC either. If Evenstar doesn't get back on this thread, I might shoot her a PM and see if what she thinks, if you're curious.
    Last edited by xFenrir; 03-07-2013 at 02:42 PM.
    --------
    1.0 Husband
    0.1 Colombian BCI (Satin)

0.1 Spider BP (Loki), R.I.P... We will never forget you...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to xFenrir For This Useful Post:

_Rumbler (03-07-2013)

Thanks
    BCI's are great animals so I hope they are not being looked down upon for not being BCC. Boas also tend to shift colors often too, you might have seen the larger one in a dark phase. My little guy goes from uber dark sometimes when he is digesting or getting ready to shed and other times he is light grey and you can see the pinkish hues along his sides
    2.0 Red Tail Boa (BCC) - Neil, Hermes (Suriname)
    0.1 Normal Ball - Moonlight (RIP)
    1.0 BEL (lesser x mojave)
    0.1 Pinstripe - Starlight
    1.1 Dogs - Champ, Megan

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ewaldrep For This Useful Post:

_Rumbler (03-07-2013)

Thanks

My new boa!

I can try to find out what the parents are. I got him for $70 from a buddy of mine that owns a reptile/pet store and is also my go to breeder for anything ball python. His other buddy is the one that breeds the boas, so I can try to contact him. But the day I picked my little guy up, my buddy wasn't at the shop and the snake was In a holding tub in the back, because he had just been dropped off recently along with the suuuper dark adult one. I saw my boa and instantly my girlfriend and I knew he was the one haha. I was surprised that there was just one baby and an adult, because he is supposed to be getting some albinos and sunglows soon, so I am actually kind of interested to hear what the story is with my boa. And if it turns out that my boa is "just" a common bci, I won't be disappointed at all. I got him because of how he looks and his personality, one of those animals that i was just drawn to. I would like to know what he is though none the less...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xFenrir View Post
    There are LOTS of different Red Tail localities; there could be a chance that you maybe have a cross of one. Without knowing or being able to prove out the genetics unfortunately it'll be hard to tell. Your little one getting SUPER dark is something I don't see, but every boa is different. Usually the ones that get that dark are something more than just your average BCI. The tail pattern looks more BCC-ish to me though as well, but the coloring's not vibrant enough imo. Did the seller have any information on this guy/gal? Or any info on the parents? That would be the best (and easiest) way to find out if you have more than "just" a BCI.

Either way as long as you're happy with him/her, that's what counts.

EDIT: I keep looking at the last few pictures you posted and I dunno, it looks like more than a BCI to me. But I don't think it's BCC either. If Evenstar doesn't get back on this thread, I might shoot her a PM and see if what she thinks, if you're curious.
    I think this is a BCI with some BCC influence - meaning that the parents were likely a BCI crossed with a BCI x BCC. That would make this critter 25% BCC. There is, of course, no way to prove that and some would say I'm silly for even voicing that so specifically. But I see a BCI with a few subtle indications that there is a BCC grandparent in there somewhere. Either way, this is definitely a very nice snake and as long as the OP is happy, it doesn't matter what it is. I understand wondering though - it is nice to know what you have.

And I also don't see this snake darkening up too much. Maybe a little, but certainly not much so.

Quote Originally Posted by ewaldrep View Post
    BCI's are great animals so I hope they are not being looked down upon for not being BCC. Boas also tend to shift colors often too, you might have seen the larger one in a dark phase. My little guy goes from uber dark sometimes when he is digesting or getting ready to shed and other times he is light grey and you can see the pinkish hues along his sides
    I actually prefer BCI! BCCs are very impressive animals for sure, but I love the temperaments, color variations, and uncomplicated natures of BCIs. I think the OP is simply wondering what type of boa he has and it was noted that there might be some BCC influence. Us boa folk tend to speculate a lot on locality, morph, color variations, etc.....
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

_Rumbler (03-07-2013)

Thanks

My new boa!

Evanstar: thank you for your input! I'm glad all of you like him, makes me feel like I've got something a little special and speculation is exactly what I am doing and asking for, just curious as to what everyone thought hopefully I can find out a little more background on him from the breeder. I feel like there are bits of bci that I like, and there are also bits of bcc that I like. So I guess that's why this guy appealed to me so much, he's got the best of both worlds! Haha

10. The Following User Says Thank You to _Rumbler For This Useful Post:

xFenrir (03-07-2013)

Thanks
    Con grats on getting a boa! They are nice pet snakes!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Bowden For This Useful Post:

_Rumbler (03-07-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by _Rumbler View Post
    Evanstar: thank you for your input! I'm glad all of you like him, makes me feel like I've got something a little special and speculation is exactly what I am doing and asking for, just curious as to what everyone thought hopefully I can find out a little more background on him from the breeder. I feel like there are bits of bci that I like, and there are also bits of bcc that I like. So I guess that's why this guy appealed to me so much, he's got the best of both worlds! Haha

That's what counts! My girl is a BCI as far as I know, and I wouldn't trade her for anything. She's the best snake I could've asked for. There's no such thing as a "common" or "normal" because they've all got personalities and quirks. I bet s/he'll be a gorgeous adult as well.
    --------
    1.0 Husband
    0.1 Colombian BCI (Satin)

0.1 Spider BP (Loki), R.I.P... We will never forget you...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 1,400 Posts
    Congrats on the boa, personally I don't see any BCC influence but none the less a nice boa Good luck keeping just one

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jben For This Useful Post:

_Rumbler (03-08-2013)

Thanks

My new boa!

Quote Originally Posted by jben View Post
    Congrats on the boa, personally I don't see any BCC influence but none the less a nice boa Good luck keeping just one
    Thanks for the compliment! I will touch back in this thread if I ever get anywhere trying to find out the true pedigree...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to _Rumbler For This Useful Post:

jben (03-08-2013)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast