Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,429

4 members and 3,425 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Assist feeding help

I've got 4 babies from late last season that are still requiring assist feeding. This Friday will be the 12th time I have had to assist them. In the past I've never had to assist more than a few times before they become interested in eating theirselves. They are getting to the point that as soon as I put the mouse head in their mouths they coil, but if I offer live hoppers, or do "the dance" with a f/t they are scared of them. Absolutely no interest or tongue flicking at all.

Now that I have a few girls getting close to laying eggs I really need these guys to start eating so I can sell them. I refuse to sell them if they aren't eating well on their own, even though I've had good offers for them... Any advice is much appreciated. Also, for those who have a lot of assist feeding experience, is this normal to go on for so long?

I'm keeping a close eye on temps and humidity trying to keep everything perfect. They are also in an animal plastics hatchling rack with others from the same clutch I've decided to keep who are eating like little piggies. At first I was convinced something was wrong with my husbandry but after closely monitoring everything I'm not sure what to think anymore...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Casey Schneider

Thanks
    Thanked 1,375 Times in 513 Posts

Re: Assist feeding help

What are you keeping them in? Have you tried to offer a smaller sized rodent and how often are you offering?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

What exactly are your temps? Babies tend to do better in the 85-89. I've noticed my past hatchlings never ate over 91.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

Assist feeding help

They are in an AP hatchling rack with 6qt tubs. I've offered live and f/t rat pups, mouse pinks and fuzzies and they seem to do better with the f/t hoppers. Their hot side is 89-90, belly heat with herpstat. Maybe i should bump it down a degree or two? I havent heard about hatchlings doing better in cooler temps... I also have a craftsman heat gun. The only thing that is a little low is the humidity. I have a humidifier in the room now that keeps it between 50-55. I have to mist them when they are in shed.

Casey Schneider

Thanks

Assist feeding help

Also they are all over 100grams so the hoppers are the perfect size for them. One of the super pastels is almost big enough to take medium to large mice. They are all healthy looking just won't eat on their own. In the first few weeks of assist feeding I fed every 4 days due to them getting thin. Now I'm on a 5 day schedule unless they are in she'd and then I don't feed.

Casey Schneider

Thanks

Try not feeding them for a couple weeks to get them hungrier. Since they are clearly gaining weight and are now at a weight that they can afford to skip a meal, stretching it out to 7 or 10 days between feedings may help get them hungry enough to try on their own.

I have never really had babies go that long needing to be assist fed, but then I also at most assist fed every other week - giving them plenty of time to relax after the stress of an assist feed, and work up a good, healthy appetite. I offered food weekly, but only assist fed every other feeding. For me, it only took a 2 feeds at most before they started eating on their own.

-Jen
    LLLReptile and Supply Company, Inc -- Your one stop herp shops online, and retail stores in Southern California!
    Check us out on facebook - www.facebook.com/LLLReptile
    For questions about products or animals, or customer service questions, please call our toll free number at 888-547-3784.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LLLReptile For This Useful Post:

cschneider (03-06-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LLLReptile View Post
    Try not feeding them for a couple weeks to get them hungrier. Since they are clearly gaining weight and are now at a weight that they can afford to skip a meal, stretching it out to 7 or 10 days between feedings may help get them hungry enough to try on their own.

I have never really had babies go that long needing to be assist fed, but then I also at most assist fed every other week - giving them plenty of time to relax after the stress of an assist feed, and work up a good, healthy appetite. I offered food weekly, but only assist fed every other feeding. For me, it only took a 2 feeds at most before they started eating on their own.

-Jen
    I agree with this and also how long do you wait before deciding the won't eat? As mentioned trying to feed too often is worse than not feeding for a couple of weeks.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to West Coast Jungle For This Useful Post:

cschneider (03-06-2013)

Thanks

Assist feeding help

I've tried waiting 10 days a few times but didn't seem to change their feeding responses. Maybe I'll lower the temp a few degrees and wait another 10 days to see what happens. Thanks for the advice!

Casey Schneider