Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,181

1 members and 3,180 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

venturing into Ts

So I posted a thread awhile back about having an empty tank. Got alot of suggestion for T and that really spark my interest in them. I still havn't completely overcome my fear of spider but I think it will really help my fear if I can raise a spider myself. So after doing research I've decided i wanted one that will mature to be big body and have no problem coming out to explore. I absolutely love love love the p.metallica, its almost love at first sight. However I'm not sure I want to pay $150 for a 1/2" sling and have it die on me cause of my inexperience.

Having said that I find the price of adults for other species a little hard to swollen. almost all of them even the most common rosea cause $75 and upward for a sexed adult (i live in canada). I think instead of getting an adult I will get 3 slings A.geniculata rose and p.murinus that range from 3/4" to 1 in size and all three will still cost me around $100 shipped to my door, quite a bit on money to spent on 3 very very tiny bugs.

My question is how hard is it to raise slings? keep in mind i have never keep any kind of invertebrates before. I have done my research seems like all i need to go is to find the correct size prey for the sling. keep it at room temperature around 23-30C, give it the appropriate humidity or find a specie that doesn't have picky humidity requirement and keep it in container appropriate to its size. However spider don't strike me as hardy animals.

I'm way over my head trying to raise slings for my first time? or some i just go for and adult?

I can't stop watching video and picture on Ts now I have a feeling i'm getting addicted....

Thanks
    For somebody who is getting over their fear of spiders and wants a tarantula that will come out to explore, I strongly advise against your first spider being a P murinus or a P metallica... or any other teleporting-fast or murderously aggressive tarantula.. unless you're fully prepared to rehouse them/move them into new homes as they get larger. I'm not certain of the temperament of P metallica specifically, but be prepared for a quick animal. P murinus will wish you dead. Look at them funny and they'll start taking notes on your loved ones to hold hostage later. There is a reason baboons have the alternate abbreviation of OBT (Orange Bitey Thing). They are hardy, but be prepared for a pissy spider.

My understanding of the A geniculatas are that they can be defensive much like a b vagans, but I don't believe they are aggressive or bitey, just a greater chance of flicking hairs - there are of course differences between individuals. Would probably be the best of the ones you mentioned specifically to start with.

My personal recommendations for hardy/robust AND docile slings to start with would be a G pulchripes, or many other Grammastola sp., B vagans (keeping in mind the behavior note above), and a few other Brachypelma sp. There are many hardy avics you can get as slings or a little larger, as great starter 'arboreals' that are more forgiving than some of the more expensive animals, and who tend to be known for their friendly temperament - They can be quick and many will jump between your hands. I've interacted with quite a few avic avic, but own only a single A diversipes right now as a sling - more demanding than my terrestrial slings (G pulchripes and G pulchra, but not by much).

I do not recommend a G rosea as a first spider, ever. They go on fasts at times, and many of the caresheets you find on non-spider websites or in pet stores are just plain wrong. Some are plain evil, some are so docile or shy they'll die before they ever eat.

Slings all have their challenges, and some more difficult than others, but I enjoy starting them out as slings. Biggest thing is humidity. It isn't terribly difficult to keep them at the proper temperature. There is always the chance of having a sling that dies despite doing everything right with husbandry.

They're primitive animals, but they do vary between individuals. I like getting a 'feel' for an individual spider as a sling as it grows into an adult, rather than starting right off as an adult most of the time. I do handle my Ts on occasion, to clean/tidy up the cage mostly, or for photos, and most of my friends who see them for the first time are willing to handle the terrestrial slings because they are less intimidating. I do not handle the avic sling - he's simply WAY too fast, and the risk of harming the little guy is way too high.
    Last edited by Anatopism; 03-05-2013 at 12:30 AM.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anatopism For This Useful Post:

3skulls (03-05-2013),medicinhed (03-20-2013),Poseidon (03-05-2013),threezero (03-05-2013)

Thanks
    Thanks for the input. I'm not really looking to pick up and handle the T much, I would much rather it be an interesting display animal and hardy. i'm having second though about having the slings shipped. I found some b.vagans slings locally and also a P.irminia juvenile (I love the way this specie look and i was told handlablity aside they are great starter Ts?)

would these two species be better choices? one of the main reason i wanted the 3 original species i listed is that they are suppose to be hardy and very hard to kill due to owner errors.

Thanks
    If you want something that is out often and is not easy to kill I would recommend B. Smithi, they are pretty, out a good amount of time, are fairly hard to kill, and they get fairly large. They don't have a bad temperament, although they can fling hairs. Also getting an adult shouldn't be too expensive. B. Vagans is another good option, but I wouldn't say a sun tiger( P. irminia) is a good first T... their bite is pretty bad, and they are skittish and defensive.
    Slings can be hard, as with most things, the younger you buy them the more likely they are to die. I tend to say that if it's your first T an adult is probably the best way to go.
    Last edited by AngelOtter; 03-05-2013 at 04:58 AM.
    1.1.0 Corns Snakes (Spartacus & Sura)
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon (Titus)
    0.0.1 Ball Python-Normal (Varro)
    1.0.0 Red Eared Slider (Atlas)
    0.0.1 Chinese Water Dragon (Valyria)
    0.1.0 American Short Hair Feline (Ruka)

Thanks
    Thanks guys i guess I'm bring home a b. vagans than. $35 for a 3"+ juvenile sounds great and just big enough to not be fragile. Now I need to setup his/her enclosure. my guess 10g would be too big for it atm?

Thanks
    Yes , even a 5 gallon is fairly big. I usually dont allow more then twice the legspan in height , due to falling.

Thanks
    Just fill it up with substrate, both my Ts are in 10 gallons, my red knee was in a 5g until about a week ago, and it was large enough. Just make sure it isn't too far a fall if it does climb, and give it a few hiding places.
    Last edited by AngelOtter; 03-05-2013 at 02:51 PM.
    1.1.0 Corns Snakes (Spartacus & Sura)
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon (Titus)
    0.0.1 Ball Python-Normal (Varro)
    1.0.0 Red Eared Slider (Atlas)
    0.0.1 Chinese Water Dragon (Valyria)
    0.1.0 American Short Hair Feline (Ruka)

Thanks
    B vagans is a great starter Mine is one of my favorites (who am I kidding, they're all my favorites except the P murinus, but screw him). I put mine in 'Really Useful Boxes' of appropriate size, which I buy from Office Max or I think Staples as them as well. The lids lock on, but come off easily and the boxes are mighty sturdy. I don't ever trust myself with the softer plastic deli containers lots of other T owners keep them in. The 'Really Useful Boxes' are also stackable, which saves me space

My vagans is absolutely a burrowing spider, and she has a tunnel that stretches down both lengths of her cage, that I can see from the side like ant farm. she is slightly larger than my palm, with legs stretched out in all directions, and her cage is aprox. 1 square foot, with about 5 inches of substrate. I keep her dirt moist enough for her to be able to build tunnels with, but once she's built a good tunnel, the whole mound of dirt seems to be covered in webbing to keep it in place. She comes out and explores at night, but I rarely see her in the day, without looking at the side of the glass an into her tunnel. She gets a tiny condiment cup for water. Make certain whatever you use for water is plenty smal enough for your spider to not slip into, or get stuck and drown, but that water is always available.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Anatopism For This Useful Post:

AngelOtter (03-05-2013)

Thanks
    just pick up my b.vagans the breeder said its a possible female

Thanks

venturing into Ts

I just got into tarantulas myself and I'm trying to raise a spiderling as well. I bought a brachypelma vagans.( Mexican red rump). The spider seems to be doing well and readily eats. b vagans is one of the fastest growing brachypelma T also. So it won't stay small for as long. . Hope this helps. This is his setup. He has a little cave under the coconut bark.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast