Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,425

4 members and 3,421 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 1,400 Posts

Re: none locallity specific bci morp list

Quote Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
    And this may be why this hasn't been attempted before. It's not quite as straight forward and BP genetics.....
    Thank you OhhWatALoser for taking the time to create this calculator

Sent from my EVO Design using Tapatalk 2.
    Last edited by jben; 03-04-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Ohio but looking to relocate grrrr new laws!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    That was one of the things I asked about, how does the whole hog island hypo work, it sounded like it was its own line of hypo. Because in removing that, then we have to remove bloody sunrise, albino sunrise, bloody sunset. If it isn't a gene, they how the heck are they coming up with combo names for it? lol
    Things like that is why it took me nearly a month to compile the list. Lol. But yea hog island hypo is its own distinct line of hypo. I should have put it that way on the list. Sorry for the confusion.
    Come see what's new with us at https://www.facebook.com/BFEPetsandSupply

Happy Herping!!!!

Thanks
    I just thought about Keltic, I have seen pics of the morph but no idea about the genes involved. I think Jeff Ronne may have produced it.
    2.0 Red Tail Boa (BCC) - Neil, Hermes (Suriname)
    0.1 Normal Ball - Moonlight (RIP)
    1.0 BEL (lesser x mojave)
    0.1 Pinstripe - Starlight
    1.1 Dogs - Champ, Megan

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ewaldrep For This Useful Post:

BFE Pets (03-04-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ewaldrep View Post
    I just thought about Keltic, I have seen pics of the morph but no idea about the genes involved. I think Jeff Ronne may have produced it.
    Thank you ill look into it!

Happy Herping!!!!

Thanks

keltic boa research complete. It is just a breeder in the Czech republics own line of arabesque. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I hadn't ever heard of it. It has been on the market since at least 2010.

Happy Herping!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by H.o.F.R View Post
    Things like that is why it took me nearly a month to compile the list. Lol. But yea hog island hypo is its own distinct line of hypo. I should have put it that way on the list. Sorry for the confusion.
    Hog island boas are naturally hypomelanistics but they are not a line of hypo. They are a type locality boa.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jben View Post
    Hog island boas are naturally hypomelanistics but they are not a line of hypo. They are a type locality boa.

Think about what you are saying. Not trying to be rude but all hog island boas are hypo. That particular locality is a stain of hypo that is not found anywhere but in that locale. It is not compatible with any other type of hypo, hence sunset boa, bloody sunset, etc. We understand that hog island boas are a locality. The hypomelanisim that they have is its own line of hypo. Sorta like salmons are all hypo. You can have a hypo that's not salmon but you can't have a salmon that isn't a hypo. Same goes for hog islands.

Happy Herping!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by H.o.F.R View Post
    Think about what you are saying. Not trying to be rude but all hog island boas are hypo. That particular locality is a stain of hypo that is not found anywhere but in that locale. It is not compatible with any other type of hypo, hence sunset boa, bloody sunset, etc. We understand that hog island boas are a locality. The hypomelanisim that they have is its own line of hypo. Sorta like salmons are all hypo. You can have a hypo that's not salmon but you can't have a salmon that isn't a hypo. Same goes for hog islands.
    I have a lot of respect for you so I don't think you are being rude my friend. I'm a big believer in that salmon saying but I look at hogs differently since they're a locality and not a "morph". I don't think they should be crossed since they're from a different locality and they're beauty. Actually I think they shouldn't be classified as BCI, hogs should've had they're own classification just like pearls but that's just my humble opinion. I'll agree to disagree

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jben For This Useful Post:

BFE Pets (03-05-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts

I have a lot of respect for you so I don't think you are being rude my friend. I'm a big believer in that salmon saying but I look at hogs differently since they're a locality and not a "morph". I don't think they should be crossed since they're from a different locality and they're beauty. Actually I think they shouldn't be classified as BCI, hogs should've had they're own classification just like pearls but that's just my humble opinion. I'll agree to disagree

I have a lot of respect for both of you!! This is a good debate among friends...

I agree with this ^^. However, to be clear, Hogs are not technically all hypomelanistic. There are Hogs and there are Hypo Hogs - which are referred to as Sunsets. Hogs do have lighter coloration, but when the hypo gene is added, they are then referred to as Sunset Hogs.

Personally, I think maybe we should take out the "Hog Island Hypo" choice on the calculator. Partly since Hogs are a specific locality and we aren't including localities, but also because hypomelanism in Hogs is the same hypo gene in BCIs in general. It is, in fact, compatable with the hypo/salmon gene. Therefore, this choice is actually redundant.

Hope that made sense..... LoL!!
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

BFE Pets (03-05-2013)

Thanks

Actually I think they shouldn't be classified as BCI, hogs should've had they're own classification just like pearls but that's just my humble opinion.

I agree with this! however it has already been done and I cant stop it from happening again. if that were the case this discussion would be moot.

Quote Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
    I have a lot of respect for both of you!! This is a good debate among friends...

I agree with this ^^. However, to be clear, Hogs are not technically all hypomelanistic. There are Hogs and there are Hypo Hogs - which are referred to as Sunsets. Hogs do have lighter coloration, but when the hypo gene is added, they are then referred to as Sunset Hogs.
    I partially agree. From what I've seen true hog island boas are all hypo. if its not hypo its not a pure hog island. also hypo + hog island doesn't make a sunet. hypo + the natural occurring hypo of a hog island boa makes what is called a het sunset. a sunset boa is hypo + hypo + the naturally occurring hypo found only in hog island boas. so to be a sunset boa it has to be a super hypo + hog island hypo.

Personally, I think maybe we should take out the "Hog Island Hypo" choice on the calculator. Partly since Hogs are a specific locality and we aren't including localities, but also because hypomelanism in Hogs is the same hypo gene in BCIs in general. It is, in fact, compatable with the hypo/salmon gene. Therefore, this choice is actually redundant.

Hope that made sense..... LoL!!
    This is where we disagree I feel the hog island hypo needs to be in the calculator as it is NOT the same hypo gene found in any other bci. Hog Island boas are a locality. cant argue that. if in fact the hog island hypo and hypo are the same then when you bred a het sunset to a normal all of the offspring should be hypo. because by your explanation they are the same which means a het sunset is in fact just a super hypo 50% hog island locality boa. so all of the offspring would be hypo. can we agree to that? if we can then the naturally occurring hypomelanistic gene found in the hog island boa has to be its own strain and has to be identified separately. Because the breeding trial that I could find did not produce 100% hypo offspring when breeding a het sunset x normal Colombian.

If anyone has other information that I can look into i'd be happy to change my mind and conform to the mass opinion. But until then I have to stick to my guns on this. I spent 3 or so days trying to get a definitive answer to this exact question and could only get one breeding trial and honestly it is from a friend that exports exotics out of panama. its the same friend that has helped me plan my family vacation this summer to coasta rica to go stomp the jungle for wc boas.
    Last edited by BFE Pets; 03-05-2013 at 03:25 PM.

Happy Herping!!!!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast