Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,222

1 members and 3,221 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,576
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

bp flailing around wildly for a few minutes...help

Hello fellow snake lovers! Need some advice on some strange behavior in a female bp that my husband and i just rescued. We've had her and a male for about a week now. Tonight was the the 3rd time we had them out, as well as our original bp Tabitha. We put them back in after cleaning up the tank and the new female started spazing out hardcore. Speeding around the tank like she was being chased and flailing her head and upper body around. She did this for about 3 mins. Could it be stress? We were promised she was well handled, but we were also told she was a boy... i would really appreciate any advice to help keep this big girl from hurting herself. She's about 3.5 feet but pretty girthy for what I've seen. Also...maybe she just laid eggs before we got her. Her lower 3rd of her body underneath looks almost like she got tore open or super stretched out and her little booty hole or whatever it is looked like maybe some of the insides came out. It looks way better now. Closest herpe vet is 5 hours away...do we need to go get her checked out? Worried about our new baby.

Thanks
    It may have been a seizure... Could you give information on what the temperature and humidity is inside the cage? What is the setup like? When was the last time she ate?
    Chloe
    0.1 Het Hypo- Indy
    The cup is useful because of it's emptiness

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Without knowing how you are keeping them, what you cleaned their enclosure with or pictures, no one here can help you. Many will try, and your head will explode with all the theories and postulations as to what may be wrong.

In the meantime, YOU need to do the following:

(1) Check the caresheet on this website against your husbandry parameters (basking temp, ambient temp, cool side temp). If they do not match up, correct them immediately.

(2) If you are keeping any of these snakes together stop doing so immediately. Buy individual set ups and maintain the animals separately. Cohabitating must be performed correctly. If you are indeed keeping any of them together, you maybe under the false impression that you are saving money or time in doing so. If you are truly cohabitating them correctly, you are not.

(3) You have apparently brought two new snakes into your home without quarantining them - correct? If the new female is sick, you have put your established animal at risk. Read up on proper quarantine procedures and begin implementing them immediately.

(4) You mentioned you cleaned up the enclosure. After you have seen to the potential husbandry issues, please clarify exactly what this cleaning procedure entailed.

(5) See a vet and have both new animals checked. In the absence of doing that, all you are going to get is a bunch of arm chair quarterbacks making WAGs and giving you confusing advice.

(6) You stated that you had the animals a week yet this was the third time you have had them out. New acquisitions need time to acclimate. Letting them be for at least a week is a good initial acclimation period. After you have corrected any husbandry parameters, leave these animals alone for at least a week.

(7) Do not respond to this post or any others until you make sure you husbandry skills are up to snuff and can tell us exactly how the snake is being kept - down to how you are measuring those parameters. Your first concern should be affirming that you are keeping these animals correctly. The new arrivals need to be moved away from your existing snake and each snake needs it's own enclosure at this point.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

Annarose15 (03-01-2013),DooLittle (03-01-2013),Inarikins (03-02-2013),meowmeowkazoo (03-01-2013),MikeM75 (03-01-2013),RoseyReps (03-01-2013),satomi325 (03-01-2013),straightballin' (03-01-2013)

BPnet Senior Member meowmeowkazoo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Booty Hole = Vent.
    Last edited by meowmeowkazoo; 03-01-2013 at 02:07 AM.
    [Python regius]
    1.0 Black Butter Pinstripe (Amazeballs), 1.0 Pastel Butter Leopard (Thunderbeeper)
    0.1 Spider (Charlotte), 0.1 Leopard (Spot), 0.1 Pastel (Buttercup), Fire Sugar (Abaddon), Crystal (Opalescence)

[Python brongersmai]
    1.1 T+ Albino (Kushiel & Carmilla)

[Boa imperator]
    1.0 Hypo 100% Het Leopard/66% Het Albino (Darcy)
    0.1 66% Het Leopard/Albino (Gabby)

[Colubrids]
    0.1 Cave-dwelling Rat Snakes (Betty Spaghetti)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to meowmeowkazoo For This Useful Post:

straightballin' (03-01-2013)

Thanks

bp flailing around wildly for a few minutes...help

Two questions

Is the bottom of the tank to hot?

Is the female in question a Spider?
    It could be wobble...
    1.0 HoneyBee (Oenomaus)
    0.1 Pastel Lesser Het. Orange Ghost (Quorra)

Thanks

Re: bp flailing around wildly for a few minutes...help

Quote Originally Posted by BPro927 View Post
    Two questions

Is the bottom of the tank to hot?

Is the female in question a Spider?
    It could be wobble...
    I thought spider, too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    My first thought was that they're both males.

But what skip said.

They could be sick, you could have cleaned with bleach and fried their brains, it could be too hot, or any number of issues. Tell us EXACTLY how it/they are being kept and we might be able to come up with something better than 'see a vet'. At the end of the day, you might want/need to see a vet though.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MrLang For This Useful Post:

Annarose15 (03-01-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 33rpm View Post
    I thought spider, too.
    REALLY?! Aside from the maybe two youtube videos out there, have you ever actually SEEN a spider "speeding around the tank and flailing", without some other underlying issue? I have NEVER seen a spider act that way, and it's more than a little irritating that people who also haven't keep propagating the myth that the "wobble" should be your first thought when a BP is acting strangely.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Annarose15 For This Useful Post:

meowmeowkazoo (03-02-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Annarose15 View Post
    REALLY?! Aside from the maybe two youtube videos out there, have you ever actually SEEN a spider "speeding around the tank and flailing", without some other underlying issue? I have NEVER seen a spider act that way, and it's more than a little irritating that people who also haven't keep propagating the myth that the "wobble" should be your first thought when a BP is acting strangely.
    Really. Speeding around a tank? No. Flailing? Yup.

P.s. I love how you come after ME, as I was just agreeing with someone who posted prior to myself. xoxo
    Last edited by 33rpm; 03-01-2013 at 11:41 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 33rpm View Post
    Really. Speeding around a tank? No. Flailing? Yup.

P.s. I love how you come after ME, as I was just agreeing with someone who posted prior to myself. xoxo
    My reference was to both of you, I just didn't feel the need to multi-quote.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast