Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,366

1 members and 3,365 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Arlington and DC trip to share (PICS)

Hi everyone, earlier this month we buried my dad at Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, VA. While we were there, we also visited the Memorials at The Mall in Washington D.C. I've uploaded the photos and wanted to share them with you all.

The Washington Memorial from The new World War II Memorial

Within the Lincoln Memorial

My youngest son, Samuel, looking at the Three Servicemen Statue. I think this was always my dad's favorite - he served in the Vietnam War. I never realized until this visit that they are gazing across the field at the Vietnam War Memorial.

The Three Servicemen

This is just amazing. Often, people leave flags and mementos at The Wall (The Vietnam War Memorial) This day, there was only one.... a flag and a sealed envelope to a service member, postmarked 1968... one that the soldier never received.

This is at the World War II Memorial - each Gold Star represents 100 service members who died in that war.

The squirrels were mighty friendly in DC...

So cute.

While we were in Arlington, after my dad's funeral, we went to watch the changing of the guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers. It is a beautiful and humbling experience.

My dad's grave. I'm sorry if this photo bothers anyone in any way.. I just couldn't leave it out.

There was a photographer who took photos of my dad's Full Honors Burial Ceremony - mainly the rituals conducted by the Armed Service members and the caisson (horse and carriage) that brought my dad to his burial site. The military honors their fallen soldiers so perfectly and precisely, and it was all so beautiful. Hopefully when I get them I can share them with those who are interested in seeing it all on here.

Thanks for looking
    Last edited by nimblykimbly; 02-28-2013 at 05:20 PM. Reason: typo
    Kimbly

Pastel 'Cami' Mojave 'Tank'
    Kingpin 'Cleo'
    KillerBee 'Buzz'
    Pied 'Patches'
    Lesser 'Lieutenant Dan'
    Mojave 'Lyla'
    Het Pied 'Norm'
    2 Normals 'Audrey' and 'Girl'
    Fire 'Smokey'
    Black Pastel '#3'
    Normal 'Slim Shady'
    Butter

Sassy and Reilly, our furry girls

Gabrielle,
    Brynn, Samuel - our human kids

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nimblykimbly For This Useful Post:

Bluebonnet Herp (03-13-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm so sorry for the loss of your father. I lost my dad 18 years ago, and sometimes it feels like yesterday. Miss him so much!

Thank you for sharing this special time. Your pictures are beautiful and remind us (me, at least) that this country is still worth fighting for.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

Some powerful images here, thanks for sharing.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

Bluebonnet Herp (03-13-2013),nimblykimbly (03-01-2013)

Thanks

I'm sorry for your loss as well. I don't know what it's like to loose a family member but I can't imagine. Amazing photos thanks for sharing them. I'd love to see the rest of them.

Thanks

Re: Arlington and DC trip to share (PICS)

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    I'm so sorry for the loss of your father. I lost my dad 18 years ago, and sometimes it feels like yesterday. Miss him so much!

Thank you for sharing this special time. Your pictures are beautiful and remind us (me, at least) that this country is still worth fighting for.
    Thank you It's been really hard. He and I were really very close over the last 15 years, and he was my rock. It still really hurts a lot. He was the one who would always get excited over my DIY projects, and I'd always go to him for advice. If I had trouble making something, he was the one with the answer! When I was building my incubator, I just kept thinking about how I had wished he was here to work on it with me. He's terribly missed. I feel the same way about the pictures and how they make me feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrl249 View Post
    I'm sorry for your loss as well. I don't know what it's like to loose a family member but I can't imagine. Amazing photos thanks for sharing them. I'd love to see the rest of them.
    Thank you so much; it's unimaginable. 6 months before my dad died, I lost my grandpa and he was the first close family member I've ever lost. To say the least, this has been a tough past year. Thanks again, and I will post the photographer's
    photos once I get them

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you It's been really hard. He and I were really very close over the last 15 years, and he was my rock. It still really hurts a lot. He was the one who would always get excited over my DIY projects, and I'd always go to him for advice. If I had trouble making something, he was the one with the answer! When I was building my incubator, I just kept thinking about how I had wished he was here to work on it with me. He's terribly missed. I feel the same way about the pictures and how they make me feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrl249 View Post
    Thank you so much; it's unimaginable. 6 months before my dad died, I lost my grandpa and he was the first close family member I've ever lost. To say the least, this has been a tough past year. Thanks again, and I will post the photographer's
    photos once I get them
    Kimbly

Kingpin 'Cleo'
    KillerBee 'Buzz'
    Pied 'Patches'
    Lesser 'Lieutenant Dan'
    Mojave 'Lyla'
    Het Pied 'Norm'
    Fire 'Smokey'
    Black Pastel '#3'
    Normal 'Slim Shady'
    Butter

Gabrielle,

Thanks

I am sorry for this loss. Images you have shared are good and inspiring. Thanks for this post.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ervinburch For This Useful Post:

nimblykimbly (03-13-2013)

Thanks

Thank you, ervinburch. I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Kimbly

Kingpin 'Cleo'
    KillerBee 'Buzz'
    Pied 'Patches'
    Lesser 'Lieutenant Dan'
    Mojave 'Lyla'
    Het Pied 'Norm'
    Fire 'Smokey'
    Black Pastel '#3'
    Normal 'Slim Shady'
    Butter

Gabrielle,

Thanks

Love the first picture. Kind of eerie how its so gray except for the American flags waving proudly. Sorry about your loss. It's hard losing a loved one, prayers are with you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts

Agreed. I am so very sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing this special time with us. I would love to see the additional pictures of the funeral if you'd like to share them. Your father was a true hero and my thanks goes out to him and his entire family.

~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?