Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,027

0 members and 2,027 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Breeding too fast?

Hello bp.net community , allow me introduce myself. I've owned ball pythons for five years now, and I've just started to get into the breeding game. This season will be my first attempt actually.
    I currently co-own, along with my buddy: 0.3 normal females, 0.1 Bumblebee, 0.1 Mojave, 1.0 Mojave, 1.0 Het Red Axanthic, and 1.0 Super pastel, all ready to breed, a 0.1 Pastel 66% OG sub-adult, and also 0.1 Lesser, 0.1 Pastel Het Red Axanthic hatchlings. I am stoked to finally get my breeding project underway
    Just recently, I've been offered to buy a ready to breed Orange Dream male, along with a Fire male (both males ready to breed) and a 8 bin rack as a package deal all for $1100. (I've already have a proper rack set up for my current collection, the rack is just an extra bonus offered in)
    However this is where my question comes in, how fast did you breeders out there get into it? I've actually bought a majority of my breeding collection within the past year, and I wonder if I am rushing into it? I've just been too tempted to start my own breeding project, due to the untapped potential of ball pythons. The Orange Dream may be the one purchase that pushes me over the cliff... Maybe I should check myself before I wreck myself? hahah
    And what do you guys think about the Orange Dream offer? good, bad? The OD is not a ppI know the saying "don't breed it, if you cant feed it!"

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 615 Posts

Breeding too fast?

if it's a REAL OD for that price, thats a steal. i'd be careful though. fire males are kinda inexpensive but with the rack too.. to me it just seems a little fishy. male ODs alone are running around $1500 right now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TheSnakeGeek For This Useful Post:

Badgemash (02-24-2013)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Breeding too fast?

got pictures?

Thanks
    Its an amazing price...but I'm not sure if getting the OD is rushing into breeding too fast or not. Should I stay and concentrate with my current breeding collection?
    No pics atm, but apparently the OD is from Mark Mandic from Markus Jayne, and comes with papers, but still OD's aren't the visual morph that many can identify with, which I'm aware of.
    As for the seller, I'm not too worried. I bought my Bee and Mojave female, and the same rack he is offering again off him. He is moving out of the country and is selling his collection asap at dirt cheap.

Thanks
    Well if it is a real OD, that's a great price! And if you have the funds, why not get him? I'm not sure what you mean by rushing into breeding...? you already have plans to try breeding, right? Why would the OD change that? You just need to do your homework and see what is best paired with the OD, and whether you can afford to also add those females to your collection if need be. Good luck!
    Kimbly

Pastel 'Cami' Mojave 'Tank'
    Kingpin 'Cleo'
    KillerBee 'Buzz'
    Pied 'Patches'
    Lesser 'Lieutenant Dan'
    Mojave 'Lyla'
    Het Pied 'Norm'
    2 Normals 'Audrey' and 'Girl'
    Fire 'Smokey'
    Black Pastel '#3'
    Normal 'Slim Shady'
    Butter

Sassy and Reilly, our furry girls

Gabrielle,
    Brynn, Samuel - our human kids

Thanks
    I hope it is, because I will be able to produce some DreamBees in the first year, impressive eh?
    I'm meant lost as in how fast I got into the breeding process. I don't know anyone in the first year of breeding, thats been able to produce a DreamBee... haha I should be really excited
    What was everyone's first year of breeding like? What did you produce? how many offspring?

Thanks

Breeding too fast?

I seen something that sparked my interested that I think should be pass along to everyone new. Advertisement!!! If you are trying to sell your snakes, now is the time to make a name and put it out there! If not, you'll be caught with a bunch of snakes you cannot house for to long. Even a simple logo n a Facebook page. You have to be the one to add many people. Then of course forums/classifieds.

I am new as well, but I am making sure I have the means of housing my new snakes for a while, in case my reputation is so low.

Good luck!
    1.0 HoneyBee (Oenomaus)
    0.1 Pastel Lesser Het. Orange Ghost (Quorra)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BPro927 For This Useful Post:

REBELLMORPH (02-24-2013)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    i think it's actually better to start off with a more desirable morph. it'll be a lot easier to sell. when you produce some orange dreams send me a message. definitely looking to get in on that as soon as i can. lol

Thanks
    dont forget the paperwork, especially when buying multi gene morphs or more expensive morphs people nowadays want pictures of both parents, hatch date, feeding record, maybe pictures of grandparents, etc.

so you need as much data on all the snakes you are breeding as possible, and have good pictures of each one. knowing the genetics of the parents of your breeders or even having pictures is also good. Many baby snakes will inherit all that data and potential buyers will ask for it. And when a clutch is hatched, make one picture showing all the baby snakes from that clutch.

this is not much work when you start out properly, and in the future it will make it easy to answer any question a customer might have. And when something totally unexpected hatches, you can use your data to exactly find out what might have happened.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pythonfriend For This Useful Post:

DRC (02-24-2013)