Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,128

0 members and 1,128 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,581
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux

Thread: Help!

Thanks

Help!

So I want to keep the story short so I don't lose too many people with a wall of text:

I was bringing my (5 month old)Ball Python to my boyfriend's parents house, and while he was holding the snake it got loose.
    We turned around and went straight home and I was searching till 2AM and finally called it off until today when I would tear the car apart.

It got a little cold last night, but not so cold there was frost on the cars, but we found him and he was completely limp, after crying for a bit and holding him I realized his body would squirm a little bit when I pet him so I hopped online and talked to a few friends who said he was basically (for lack of a better word) hibernating to save energy.

I left him out for about an hour to get up to room temperature (around 70 degrees) and then I put him near the middle of his 40 gallon tank (85 degrees hot side, somewhere near 75 degrees cold)

SO WHY I'M POSTING THIS:

He's acting completely different, he's moving around his tank now (Which is normal and fine) It's night time, and I bought a mouse to try to get him to come out of where he was hiding in his car, so he might smell the mouse.

Before this incident he was extremely loving and completely fine with me reaching in randomly and picking him up, but now if I reach in the second I touch him he wraps up into a ball and wheezes, I only did that three times before I decided to leave him alone (I wasn't sure if maybe I just startled him the first time, but after three times in a row I decided to call off my attempts to love on him)

He is also a little bit shaky, when he sits up to "periscope" his head wobbles back and forth a little bit (He's normal, not spider morph)

I dunno what else to say, I'm really scared.

Any reassurance or advice would be greatly appreciated, he's not allowed to go on road trips anymore by the way.
    Last edited by jkcinema22; 02-12-2015 at 05:35 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Well how is he now?

Since you didn't say how cold it got its hard to give you an opinion or prediction. I bet he warmed up and all is well. If this ever happens again just replace him back in his home and allow him to warm up without you "loving" on him.
    Last edited by KMG; 02-12-2015 at 10:43 AM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Re: Help!

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Well how is he now?

Since you didn't say how cold it got its hard to give you an opinion or prediction. I bet he warmed up and all is well. If this ever happens again just replace him back in his home and allow him to warm up without you "loving" on him.
    Sorry, I was really panicing when I posted this.

I didn't hold him for very long, when I first got him I held him for about 20 minutes in tears but then I realized one night shouldn't be able to kill him (Right now our lows are somewhere around 40 degrees says the internet, but he was in the car which should've stayed somewhat warm-ish most of the night. Obviously cooling down over time)

I left him on my bed to get up to room temperature over about an hour maybe an hour and a half, then put him in the middle of his cage so he wasn't on the warm side. I didn't want to warm him up too fast so I didn't shock his body. (I think I touched base on most of this in the post, I can't remember but will post it again just because I'm already typing it)

He is wandering around his cage and stuff, but his head is shakey and he's moving weird.
    He was also super active last night which was a little weird for him.

Right now he's still wandering around his cage, hasn't stopped in a few hours which is very weird because it's mid-day here right now, so he's usually sleeping.
    Last edited by jkcinema22; 02-12-2015 at 03:51 PM.