Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,436

2 members and 3,434 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Adding ambient heat under tank?

First off, my temp gradient is fine with heat from above (87 high, 80 low) and yes, my BP is in a fish tank (No I'm not buying a new enclosure.....yet...) because it was given to me. I'm wondering if it would actually be more efficient to place a black heat lamp UNDER the tank because it sits on a hollow pedestal.

Because the tank is 23" tall, I have to use a 100w day, 100w night (on the warm side), and a 50W night (on the cold side) plus a UTH, all on at the same time,to keep the temperature this way. I have a feeling that clipping the small 50w night light under the tank might actually be more beneficial. What do you guys think?

I'm gonna try it and see what happens. I'm home all day today so I can monitor everything and make sure I don't make a snake-kabob...

Thanks
    After 2.5 hours, with only the day light on above, and a night light below, my hot side is up to 92. So I'll move the light a little farther away and angle it slightly more towards the cool side. I can't believe it jumped up that much...

Thanks

Re: Adding ambient heat under tank?

I wouldn't recommend that. It could prove to be a fire hazard if there's no way for the air to circulate. You're best bet is to get an under tank heater. Those are specifically designed to be placed under the tank to heat the bottom. Just have a thermostat.

Even if you choose to ignore this and use your lamp anyway, at least buy a lamp dimmer so you can control the amount of heat given off so you can control the temps a little more precisely.

Thanks

Re: Adding ambient heat under tank?

Pointing the lamp directly at the glass can and will overheat the glass and cause it to crack...or at the very least, make it incredibly susceptible to cracking.

Short of buying a new tank you can heat more efficiently, there isn't really an alternate method to heat the cage besides what you have going already.

Be careful!

-Jen
    LLLReptile and Supply Company, Inc -- Your one stop herp shops online, and retail stores in Southern California!
    Check us out on facebook - www.facebook.com/LLLReptile
    For questions about products or animals, or customer service questions, please call our toll free number at 888-547-3784.

Thanks
    I was mostly just curious to see what would happen. My tank sits on a 2-foot-tall hollow pedestal with enough air flow, but even the 50W bulb over a foot away everything got WAY too hot. I already have a UTH and I was just curious to see what would happen. I could believe it jumped that much....definitely not safe. LESSON LEARNED.