Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,420

5 members and 3,415 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

*Color/Pattern ID* DUW

A couple days ago, I picked up a few baby rats; three will be staying with me and the other two will be going to a friend. I haven't quite decided which ones I'm keeping yet, but I have a fairly good idea as two of them are too cute to let go. I have a slight idea of what these guys may be, but I'm not 100% sure and would love your input.

This is the only little male. I think he is a Black Masked Dumbo, but he does have some slight coloration around his ears. I'm not sure if he can technically be considered a masked rat because of that. His body is completely white. Also, his coat length may be shorter due to the fact that one of his parents was hairless. He is not a rex though, as his whiskers starburst and are straight!

This is the largest female - litter mates to the male. She is the same general size as him, but quite a bit more rotund. I am kind of worried she may be pregnant (she feels like she's gotten a lot bigger over the past two days), as I don't know when the breeders separated, but it may just be due to overeating. Apparently, according to the breeders, they believe she might have accidentally got placed into a litter with smaller rats, therefore she was able to better compete for food/milk. I have no idea what the growth rate of rats is though, so it may be normal growth. I do not have the male with any of the females. I believe she is a Black Baldie Dumbo, although I don't think baldie is an actual recognized Pattern. Would that just make her a masked as well, with darker coloration around the ears?

Here is another female. She is not from the same litter, or the same parents. I'm thinking just another Black Masked Dumbo.

This is the youngest female and she is such a busy girl! It is adorable to watch her play and run around. I was told she was a Light Chocolate *Something* *Something* from the breeder, but I'm not sure as he told me the masked rats were actually Odd Eyes, not masked (which I'm fairly certain they are not!). I'm thinking some sort of Brown Hooded Standard Eared rat.

And last, but not least, this is my youngest little ratty that I will for sure be keeping! I don't know if it is a male or female, and the breeders were unable to tell me either, but for the sake of ease, I will refer to it as a he. He is the cutest, sweetest thing ever! His coloration is interesting to me as well. He has Red Eyes, which I'm normally not fond of, and Dumbo Ears. His coloration starts as a Champagne-like color (with a blaze on his head) and goes to a Brown color on his rump. His sides are White. Any idea what color and pattern he'd be considered?? I will also try and take a picture tomorrow of his abdomen to see if anyone can determine if he is indeed a he, or actually a she!

Thanks in advance! I know the masks are fairly easy, but I wasn't sure if that is what they'd technically be considered due to coloration over the ears. Also, in case any one was wondering, I was just giving them the syringe to keep them still. They never stop moving! It is just filled with baby soy formula.
    Miss Van

Ball Pythons
    1.0 Mojave - - 0.1 Lesser - - 0.1 Bumble Bee

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Re: *Color/Pattern ID* DUW

I'm no help on the rat id. Satomi is great at it, hopefully she finds this. Also, you should be able to tell the sex on the last one. What does the business end look like?

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Thanks

Re: *Color/Pattern ID* DUW

You can tell the sex not long after being born. Males don't have nipples.

Sent from my Droid RAZR M using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    The one is a masked, a few odd spots doesn't change that.
    Baldies have a triangle on the top of the head.
    You can tell sex's the day they are born, and especially as they fuzz up the females nipples will stand out.
    The one red eyed one has ruby eyes so it's probably a beige.
    I'm not very good with browns, probably a mink of some sort.
    Jerry Robertson

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    The last one looks Siamese! I could be wrong, but its got that warm color on the rump.

Angela

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Most of those are black masked. The stray spots around their ears are called "mismarkings".

I swear AFRMA had a standard for Baldie, but now I can't find it...

The "light chocolate" brown rat is a mink variation of some kind. I'm inclined to say "havanna" (not standardized in all clubs), based on the warmth and depth of brown. "Havanna" is often described as a genetic, expressed mink heterozygous for ruby-eyed dilute.

The last little baby looks like a Siamese, though the eyes do look to be on the dark side, that might be due to lighting. Were the photos taken with flash or no flash? If no flash, what happens to the eyes when you take a picture with flash? Pink eyes will typically glow a bright pink color under a camera flash, where ruby eyes will glow more of a red color.
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

Thanks
    Those two cuties are definitley black masked. The third one might be a really light agouti, or an agouti burmese...but I don't think its likely because its kind of a breeder color. Where did you get them from? The last one might be verigated, and/or moulting...they do change color drastically when the adult.
    Chloe
    0.1 Het Hypo- Indy
    The cup is useful because of it's emptiness