Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 776

1 members and 775 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,585
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, masdiprizio
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts

First Litters (couple questions)

I separated my 2 females that looked pretty hefty the other day and today they both had litters. One had at least 12 pups and I can't really tell how many the other had. I have 2 other pregnant females that are still living together.

The females that had babies both look pretty tired. I read online that they like scrambled eggs and foods that are high in protein while they are nursing and especially right after giving birth. Any other foods you would recommend giving them to help bring their energy back up?

When I fussed around in the room (I didn't open the bins) for a few minutes they started getting a little nervous. The one with the big litter looked like she was either stashing the babies under the newspaper or moving the nest or some similar. Basically the neat pile of babies started getting fussed with. After birth like this, am I still at risk of her eating them or should I be in the clear? Is there anything I should not do within the first day? How long?

I guess my main question is if I can go about my business in that room that the rat rack is in or not. I need to feed the snakes, and the 2 other pregnant females are together and based on timing I would really like to separate them as I believe they will also be giving birth quite soon. Safe to split the other females on the lower part of the rack while they're nursing fresh litters up top? Should I wait till tomorrow?

6 rats to at least 25 in 1 day. Oh boy, here we go...

Any other tips, tricks, or warnings?
    Last edited by MrLang; 02-22-2013 at 08:07 PM.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

Thanks
    Bumped

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

First Litters (couple questions)

I'd PM satomi or coleslaw, they breed their own ratties.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

MrLang (02-22-2013),satomi325 (02-24-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts
    I produce a fair number of rats and I move them as needed, fresh litters too. I haven't noticed anyone really stressing out from it, but I'm quick and gentle and once they're moved, generally for cleaning, I leave them alone.

You should be fine to proceed as usual in your room and move them as needed.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

MrLang (02-22-2013)

Thanks
    I've never had any issues and have moved mine as little as 1 day after birth to clean tubs and never experienced any problems. I think you'll be fine to do what you need to do in order to get the soon to be mommas set up and ready to pot out some snake food!
    Bruce
    Top Shelf Herps
    1.0 Pastel (Gypsos)
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Pinstripe (B-Dub)
    1.0 Sable het Hypo (Flat Top)
    1.0 Lesser Platinum (Sean2)
    1.1 Lemonback (Einstein.Elsa)
    0.1 Pied (unnamed)
    0.1 Pinstripe het Hypo (Chopper)
    0.1 het VPI Axanthic (Vanilla)
    0.1 Spider 50% het VPI Axanthic (Serine)
    0.1 Hypo (Bella)
    0.1 het Hypo (Hooker)
    0.1 Cinnamon (Nutmeg)
    0.1 Normal (Jane)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gsarchie For This Useful Post:

MrLang (02-22-2013)

Thanks
    Thanks. I think I read too much nonsense about infanticide. One thing I read said after 24 hours the chance of that reduces exponentially, so I'll wait till tomorrow night to mess around.

Cheers and pics to come!

Thanks
    Recounted 17 from one mom. Not bad for her first litter Glad I bought my rats from NERD!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts
    Generally speaking it depends on the female.

I've had new mom's I can get right in there while she's having them and she's fine. I have also had new mom's that if you drop a rat pellet into the tub a week after the babies are born she'll kill them all. needless to say, those moms get fed off.

For the most part, if your females are used to you before they have babies, they'll be cool with you afterwards. It's good to check on the babies once a day. My favorite trick is to give the mom a super-nummy treat and when she goes to eat it, I do a quick head count and then let mommy check me out to make sure I'm not removing any babies.

Gale
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

12. The Following User Says Thank You to angllady2 For This Useful Post:

MrLang (02-23-2013)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: First Litters (couple questions)

High protein, high calorie, with good vitamins and minerals are healthy foods. There is a lot of emphasis put on protein, but it isn't just protein, it is the whole package. Nursing mothers REALLY need an increase in calories too, as much as 300-400 extra calories a day, more for larger litters. Lactation really does take a lot out of a female.
    Scrambled eggs are good, as are bits of meat. Some people give soy milk or tofu, other avoid it because they fear the soy isn't good for rats (I have a number of studies on this to read still, but based on the abstracts my personal opinion on the matter is neutral: It all depends on who you ask). Cooked brown rice is a really good food for nursing mothers. Don't forget fruit and veggies for vitamins and minerals, but remember these aren't as calorie dense either.

If they seem really nervous, give them a little space. Every rat is different. Ideally they won't care what you do, even on the day of birth. I would watch their personalities and select for rats that are ok with you handling the babies even on the day of birth. This is ideal so you can get in there and clean up if needed, and count babies or remove dead babies. A mother rat typically will not eat her babies, even if she is nervous, but there are always exceptions. I personally wouldn't worry about it. Do what you need to. If she eats her babies just because you are in the same room as her, she needs to be culled any way.
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sorraia For This Useful Post:

MrLang (02-23-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Re: First Litters (couple questions)

Quote Originally Posted by MrLang View Post
    I separated my 2 females that looked pretty hefty the other day and today they both had litters. One had at least 12 pups and I can't really tell how many the other had. I have 2 other pregnant females that are still living together.

The females that had babies both look pretty tired. I read online that they like scrambled eggs and foods that are high in protein while they are nursing and especially right after giving birth. Any other foods you would recommend giving them to help bring their energy back up?

When I fussed around in the room (I didn't open the bins) for a few minutes they started getting a little nervous. The one with the big litter looked like she was either stashing the babies under the newspaper or moving the nest or some similar. Basically the neat pile of babies started getting fussed with. After birth like this, am I still at risk of her eating them or should I be in the clear? Is there anything I should not do within the first day? How long?

I guess my main question is if I can go about my business in that room that the rat rack is in or not. I need to feed the snakes, and the 2 other pregnant females are together and based on timing I would really like to separate them as I believe they will also be giving birth quite soon. Safe to split the other females on the lower part of the rack while they're nursing fresh litters up top? Should I wait till tomorrow?

6 rats to at least 25 in 1 day. Oh boy, here we go...

Any other tips, tricks, or warnings?
    For an extra boost you can give your mamas eggs, yogurt, or Ensure.

Every time you open the rat bin, some mamas will pick up a baby and try to move them to a "safe" spot. Even if the babies get moved all about, the mother will almost always return them to the communal nest once the disturbance ceases.

I doubt she'll eat her babies.

I tend to leave babies and mother alone for at least 24 hours before fussing with them. The first few hours after birth are crucial for the mother to bond with the pups. But you can go on with your business in the room and the other rats.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

MrLang (02-24-2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast