Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,338

1 members and 3,337 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Questions about new pacman frog

So I just got back from my local pet shop and came home with a new pacman frog apparently they had it in wet miss to begin with, but they let it dry up and some got stuck to the frog they said when they peeled the moss off it kind of bled slightly in a small spot. For a couple days after they just had it In a plastic bin with some water and that's how I found it:/ so my question is, do I need to do anything special for it? Will he survive? They said it has been eating crickets so that's a good thing, but I just want to do everything I can to take care of him.

I have him in a 10 gal with Eco earth substrate 2-3" deep, a water dish, and some deco for him to feel secure. I have a small uth on a Tstat set to 90. The Eco earth is sitting at like mid 80s half way down. I also have a dome light with a 25 watt bulb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pacmans are pretty resilient, what you want to do however regarding your setup is get that eco earth damped yours is way to dry by the look of it.

That should give you an idea on how moist you want it to be

Make sure you change the water dish often, usually when they have a water dish they will tend to defecate and urinate in it and you need to remember that they absorb moisture through their skin and if the water is not clean it will kill your frog.

I am not a fan of dome light for any reptiles needing high humidity, they tend to dry out the enclosure too fast so it might take some more work on your part to keep your substrate moist.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Get that baby some food! Honestly just keep the right substrate and feed often temp really isn't an issue inside the house at all. It's really hard to overfeed a pacman they will stop eating when they are full... Until tomorrow. I feed mine a steady diet of rat fuzzies, roaches, deceased snakes, fish, worms, adult mice etc. you get the point. They are fun pets.

Thanks

Okay good to know thank you. I will get in there and moisten the Eco earth a lot more. And I figured a 25watt bulb wouldn't really kill the humidity too bad, I basically just have it there for visible light. and I have it on a dimmer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zach_24_90 View Post
    Get that baby some food! Honestly just keep the right substrate and feed often temp really isn't an issue inside the house at all. It's really hard to overfeed a pacman they will stop eating when they are full... Until tomorrow. I feed mine a steady diet of rat fuzzies, roaches, deceased snakes, fish, worms, adult mice etc. you get the point. They are fun pets.
    Haha yeah I did some quick research when I saw the poor guy in the shop and wanted to rescue him. I watched a couple vids of them destroying mice and finches and stuff. I have him a couple crickets once I got him home.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    These guys have always interest me. Checking care sheets I find that much like snakes few agree with each other. I was wondering a few things.

Do they need live insects or can eat dusted dead ones?

Also is it possible if it had filtered water to go five to seven days without human interaction? As in could I just leave it some live insects and it could fend for itself. And by filtered water meaning using an aquatic water filtration system to freshen the water during the days I'm away.

I don't have one I'm just wanting some experiecned insight. So if you have another way that has worked please let me know. I know the number one answer is to have a friend check on them. I personally like to set up my animals so they will be alright if for unforeseen reasons they were not checked on they would still be good.
    Last edited by KMG; 02-20-2013 at 03:15 AM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull