Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,337

0 members and 3,337 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Seeking for Info about a Indonesian Garter

I know that this "Venomous Animals" part of the forum doesn't post anything about rear-fanged venomous colubrids but they do indeed carry venom. Therefor are they not venomous??? Anyways... I'm out of luck finding any info on this snake (Striped Keelback, aka Indonesian Garter Snake)... I recently purchased a male Keelback and I know the basics about it.
    (ps, I'm sorry if that came off with an air of attitude... forgive me if that did)

I need to know some more detailed info, not just that it's a colubrid, it's venomous, it's a garter, and it loves humidity.
    Here's what I know: It's semi-aquatic. NEEDS humidity. *Can eat pinkies?
    *(Not entirely sure on what it needs for a diet)

Here's what I need to know: How large do they get, as long as a standard Garter? How big of a tank do they need? What is their diet? Can I house them with other colubrids, such as a Gopher/Pine, or even a King? Or are they solitary snakes?

Here's what I'd like to know for the future: Can a Keelback ever breed with a non-venomous colubrid like a King or Gopher or ect?
    I know and am fully aware that this post shouldn't be posted on this forum... but I posted a similar post on the "General Colubrids" forum with no responses and no luck...... I'm just trying to gather the essential info about my species of snake to make it's life comfortable and to relieve my ignroance about the species. I just want some help.... anyone out there experianced with the species and can lend me a few words of advice?

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Why, WHY would you purchase/acquire a species of animal you're unfamiliar with especially if it's venomous?! Generally speaking you should research then acquire the animal, instead of vice versa. I'm not your parent & I'm not going to lecture you but there are a ton of red flags in your post that scare the hell out of me & I really hope you don't wind up dead if you get bit and that animal has a venom that is powerful enough to envenomate a human being, rear-fanged or not. That said, here's a few links that might answer some of your questions, depending on what your animal actually is: http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...questions.html.

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/gart...garters-2.html

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=124543

Good luck and sorry if that was harsh, just everything you do with a reptile/snake has the potential to impact every reptile enthusiast, let alone yourself. Good luck with things and hope it all works out for the best.
    Before all else, be armed. - Niccolo Machiavelli

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I dont think I need to repeat anythin the last poster said.... but wow. Google will be your friend for info. Last poster did some of that work for you. I would not keep an indian colubrid in the same cage as north american ones. As for breeding them idk if it would work I would say No and question why you would even consider such a thing?

0.1 Albino
    0.2 Classic
    0.1 Het. Red Axanthic
    0.1 Mojave h. Ghost
    0.1 Pastel
    0.1 Spider h. Ghost
    1.0 Black Pastel
    1.0 Blue Eye Leucistic h. Ghost
    1.0 Lesser
    1.0 Pastel h. Ghost

0.1 Morelia bredli
    0.0.1 Varanus acanthurus (Silly)
    0.1 Brachypelma auratum
    0.1 Scottisch Fold (Tipsy)
    0.1 Abyssinian (Prim)

http://www.facebook.com/AAExoten

Thanks

Re: Seeking for Info about a Indonesian Garter

I did have previous knowledge before purchasing.... it's not at all a harmful venomous species... maybe a bite as painful as a wasp sting. lol

Also. Thank you for the links
    ~,*-_` HOLLY `_-*,~

0 Leucistic Texas Ratsnake (Zeejay/ZJ)
    0.1 Triple hybird [Texas Rat, Western Gopher, Louisiana Pine snakes] (Butter)
    1.0 Albino Bubblegum Ratsnake (Peaches)
    0.1 Quintuple hybrid [Texas Rat, Western Gopher, Louisiana Pine, Bubblegum Rat, Everglades Rat snakes](Peanut)
    0.1 Normal Ball Python (Monty)
    0.0.1 HUGE adult normal Ball Python (McMangles)
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python (Benny)
    1.0 Tokay Gecko (Musachi)
    1.0 Knight/ Giant Cuban Anole (Buggy)
    0.0.1 Indonesian Garter Snake (Pascal)
    0.0.2 Golden Geckos (un-named)
    4.2 Turtles (
    Willie,Crash, Sparky, Rio, Chuckie, Tickle)

1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Mopar)
    1.0 Triple hybrid (Bread)
    Rest in Peace little buddies

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Could you not just ask the person you're buying the snake from, for answers to your questions?

That's what I do when buying venomous snakes.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Seeking for Info about a Indonesian Garter

Quote Originally Posted by valhalha30 View Post
    I did have previous knowledge before purchasing.... it's not at all a harmful venomous species... maybe a bite as painful as a wasp sting. lol

Also. Thank you for the links
    Gotcha. I know there are several species that fall under that general title of "Indonesian garter" and that some of them have potentially lethal venom. THAT was my concern but if you're clarified that, disregard the above and good luck in your search for info. They're neat looking animals for sure and certainly unusual in appearance, at least for what I'm familiar with.
    Before all else, be armed. - Niccolo Machiavelli

Thanks
    I did get some info from the seller when I bought the snake..... I want to trust his info and I've been searching for similar info or other info online to confirm or deny that his info is accurate. Some people spew info F.T.A to reel in a buyer and some info can be misleading.... I personally know this from buying a Tokay Gecko with dangerously low blood calcium due to it NOT being fed a proper diet by it's seller. I was told that it was perfectly healthy, well... it was far far far away from anything considered healthy. It passed away sadly, after taking on a very violent seizure. Before it's passing, I had tried in hope, to bring it back to health when I found out about the improper diet... but it was too far gone and every attempt of helping it failed. R.I.P little guy..........
    I was just searching around for some extra info about the Keelback.... the only info I can rely on right now is the seller's...... so hopefully his info is accurate. Some of his info so far seems correct..... so, perhaps everything else he stated was correct too. My little boy seems healthy and happy with what I've been providing for him, so I guess what I was told was right.
    Thank you all, and I'm sorry if I gave someone the wrong impression before... I have awful communtication skills sometimes lol
    ~,*-_` HOLLY `_-*,~

0 Leucistic Texas Ratsnake (Zeejay/ZJ)
    0.1 Triple hybird [Texas Rat, Western Gopher, Louisiana Pine snakes] (Butter)
    1.0 Albino Bubblegum Ratsnake (Peaches)
    0.1 Quintuple hybrid [Texas Rat, Western Gopher, Louisiana Pine, Bubblegum Rat, Everglades Rat snakes](Peanut)
    0.1 Normal Ball Python (Monty)
    0.0.1 HUGE adult normal Ball Python (McMangles)
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python (Benny)
    1.0 Tokay Gecko (Musachi)
    1.0 Knight/ Giant Cuban Anole (Buggy)
    0.0.1 Indonesian Garter Snake (Pascal)
    0.0.2 Golden Geckos (un-named)
    4.2 Turtles (
    Willie,Crash, Sparky, Rio, Chuckie, Tickle)

1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Mopar)
    1.0 Triple hybrid (Bread)
    Rest in Peace little buddies