Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,294

1 members and 2,293 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,559
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
    Thanks

Ultratherm uneven heating

My Ultratherm is heating quite unevenly.
    I have the tstat set at 90 and the probe sandwiched between the uth and the tub. I am using a ve 300. Where the probe is the temp is at 89 which is great. The other side of the uth is at like 93 degrees. And some parts are at 85. Anyone else have a problem like this? I bought both products at reptile basics...
    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    0.1 Albino Ball Python

2. The Following User Says Thank You to barbie.dragon For This Useful Post:

33rpm (02-14-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    That is quite common with the big air bubble caused by the probe being sandwiched air is a ok insulator so that explains the differences. My ultratherms vary about a degree from the highest to lowest temp I can find but I don't sandwich the probe either. I would expect variation with a sandwiched probe. Also does the probe and thermometer read the same? You could be seeing variation due to discrepancy as well, I have been told the specs on the VEs is +/-1ºF but have never seen documents to support that.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

33rpm (02-14-2013)

Thanks

Re: Ultratherm uneven heating

Same exact thing going on here. Doing the probe sandwiched between uth and glass thing. Thought I'd try it...don't like it. Changing it back soon.

Other than that, my Ultratherm is great!
    Last edited by 33rpm; 02-14-2013 at 12:30 AM.

Thanks

I am using a temperature gun to measure it. The side with thw peobe is at 88 and the side without is at 94 sometimes... I guess I have to go back to the tstat probe at the bottom of the heat mat

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    0.1 Albino Ball Python

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts

Ultratherm uneven heating

Ir guns are Great tools but they have some quirks too. They reflect off of shiny objects easily giving false reading (glass plastic and metals especially) some things reflect it light in differing amounts ( emisifity) that will also effect readings. It is impossible to say for sure but a degree variation from probe to gun add a bit of reflection it would be easy to have 100% even and still read 2-4 degrees different. Add some real variation and it is even farther.

Have you ever checked the accuracy specs on your ir gun? On the thermostat? This will tell you haw far it could vary while actually be the same. I would be very surprised if the gun was.better than 2 degrees (4 degree range ) and the thermostat was better than one degree . I am a real fussy pants for accuracy I check every thermometer / pyrometer against a known thermometer. Often the TStat probe can be used as a benchmark but the Ve series are a bit of an unknown that way as there seem to be a lack of published specs and the manufacturer is unknown. The assumption is one degree I have been told this by sales reps but no one has said if it is not this it it is faulty and will be replaced either.

I suspect it is partially the instrument variation, uneven heating , and the probe placement not one thing but a combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Getting rid of that air pocket is a pain...stupid gravity. Any ideas? I tucked a sock in-between the uth and the desk the tank is sitting on to help push the uth flush with the glass. Tearing the whole thing down and re-applying isn't really an option for me, right now.