Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,229

1 members and 1,228 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

Question Will this heat pad be alright?

I'm bringing home my first BP in a few days and I'm trying to get everything perfectly set up for her so she can be comfortable in her new home. I have a 15 gallon tank for now, and I'm not sure what heating pad I should be using. I've been looking at the Zoo Med Repti-Therm UTHs and the one recommended for 10-20 gallon tanks is 6'' x 8'' which seems small on a tank that is 24'' x 12''. The description on the website says that it only brings the tank temperature up 10 degrees above room temperature, but I've heard that these heat pads get up to 90-95 F. Will the small heat pad provide enough heat by itself? I also have a heat lamp that I wasn't planning on using (it came with the tank when I bought it), but if the heat pad wasn't enough I would buy a red bulb for the lamp.

Anyway, I need a more experienced opinion for this, and I would rather ask anybody here than the people at the pet store. I probably know more than most of them.

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    Those heat pads can easily hit 130+ degrees, and must be regulated by a good thermostat. The 10-20 gallon size should be fine, but keep in mind that UTH's don't increase the air temperature inside the cage so if the air temperature in the room that the cage is in drops below 75 degrees a heat lamp will be required to boost the air temps.

Checkout this thread for recommendations on thermostats. Do not waste your money on the thermostats sold in pet stores: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...t-Thermometers
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 02-12-2013 at 06:50 PM.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)