Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,181

0 members and 3,181 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

New THG Heat Tape Test Results are in

THG Heat Tape
    VS.
    The Competitor

This test started as a desire to provide excellent custom display enclosures for my personal Ball Python collection

I purchased some Competitor 11in heat tape to maintain the hot spot for my enclosures and applied it with metal ducting tape to the bottom glass panel of my enclosures. I ran the Competitor heat tape of a VE300X2 thermostat from reptile basics. I quickly realized this was going to be an issue due to the fact that the 3 identically manufactured pieces of Competitor heat tape would not run at the same temperature. I had up to a 15 degree Fahrenheit temp difference temperature split between the 3 enclosures. To solve this I use dimmer switches to limit current to the hotter sections of heat tape. Around the first of the year I hear of a new product from Reptile Basics THG heat tape. I purchased 50 feet of the new THG heat tape and reapplied this to my enclosures with a much greater success. Below you will find listed the testing I performed before installing THG heat tape and my results.

I built a test bench consisting of a piece of plywood and a VE300 thermostat. I then installed the THG heat tape in 3 19inch section built exactly the same as the Competitor heat tape. I soldered a 9ft extension cords to each piece of THG heat tape. Then applied each section of THG heat tape to the test bench and installed the thermostat to one piece of heat tape. I let the THG heat tape run for 2 weeks on the test bench with a maximum of 1.5 degrees Fahrenheit split between any section of all 3 pieces of heat tape as seen in the pictures below the main sections of the heat tape maintained a maximum of .5 degree Fahrenheit temp difference.

TEST BENCH

Results after Two weeks

Enclosure temps after two weeks testing

After testing the THG heat tape on a test bench I then installed it onto my custom enclosures and proceeded with a real life test situation. The results were exactly the same as the bench test with a maximum temp difference of 1.5 degrees Fahrenheit between any spot on the new heat source and a .5 degree Fahrenheit temp difference in the main sections of the THG heat tape. Having seen other results from tests performed the maximum temp the THG heat tape would reach under these conditions would be approximately 115 degrees Fahrenheit which would still leave an enclosure temp of 97-103 Degrees Fahrenheit. This should still leave a safe living environment for reptiles in the enclosure. I will be performing a maximum power test on the next enclosure I built but as the three enclosures I currently have built have reptiles living in them I felt this could lead to undue stress to my animals.
    Robie

2.0 Normal Ball Pythons Peek a Boo & Dezmond
    1.0 Black Pewter Ball Python Pepe Le Pewter
    0.1 Piebald Ball Python Slinky
    0.1 Siberian Husky Danadog
    2.5 Fancy Rat's Patch, Robin Hood, Lucky, Lucy, Bolt, Cinnamon, Patcheta
    1.1 Great Kiddo's
    0.1 Wonderful Wife
    1.0 Awesome Dad (me)

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RestlessRobie For This Useful Post:

Aes_Sidhe (02-11-2013),B&H Reptiles (01-02-2014),Exotic Ectotherms (03-03-2013),MikeM75 (02-12-2013),PitOnTheProwl (03-03-2013),Raven01 (02-12-2013),Robyn@SYR (02-12-2013),whispersinmyhead (02-28-2013)

Thanks

Re: New THG Heat Tape Test Results are in

To clarify, your test was without dimmers or rheostats? So, the manufacturing process is more consistent.

And, thanks in advance for sharing your find.

Thanks

Correct I ran the THG heat tape without any Dimmers or Rheostat. With the other heat tape I was using I had to run a dimmer for 2 of the 3 enclosures
    Robie

1.1 Great Kiddo's
    0.1 Wonderful Wife
    1.0 Awesome Dad (me)

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    Checkout this infrared comparison video:

(Link for smartphone users): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYdybSzLgLY
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

Annarose15 (02-12-2013),B&H Reptiles (01-02-2014),BFE Pets (02-12-2013),Coleslaw007 (02-12-2013),Exotic Ectotherms (03-03-2013),Inarikins (02-28-2013),mikel81 (02-12-2013),MikeM75 (02-12-2013),Robyn@SYR (02-12-2013),whispersinmyhead (02-28-2013)

Thanks

New THG Heat Tape Test Results are in

Do you place the heat tape physically inside your enclosures?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Het Snow BCI
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python

Thanks

No the heat tape is taped to the bottom glass panel of my enclosures heating the glass for a hot spot
    Robie

1.1 Great Kiddo's
    0.1 Wonderful Wife
    1.0 Awesome Dad (me)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,214 Posts

Wait... Isn't this the exact same test Aaron, The Serpent Merchant already did?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    Balls:
    *0.1 Mojave *0.1 Pinstripe *0.1 Bumblebee *1.0 Super pastel butter *1.0 Mojave orange ghost *0.3 100% het orange ghosts *0.1 Pastel 50% het orange ghost *1.1 PE Lemonback fires *1.0 Fire *0.1 Pastel *1.0 Albino *0.1 Spider 100% het albino
    Other critters:
    *1.0 Anery motley corn *G. rosea tarantula *G. pulchripes *P. metallica *0.0.2 A. versicolor *C. cyaneopubescens *A. geniculata *B. smithi *B. boehmei *Nhandu chromatus *H. maculata *C. marshalli *1.0 Australian shepherd mix

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Coleslaw007 For This Useful Post:

DooLittle (02-12-2013)

Thanks

Aarons test was similar but I was trying to fix a problem I was having with my custom enclosures. I had a severe temp split with Flexwatt heat tape and the THG heat tape does not have that issue
    Robie

1.1 Great Kiddo's
    0.1 Wonderful Wife
    1.0 Awesome Dad (me)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 1,400 Posts

I will be changing my flexwatt to the new thg heat tape.

Sent from my EVO Design using Tapatalk 2.

Thanks

Alright mate? I am from the UK and used to look to the US forums for new ideas. I have a few questions on your youtube video that pointed me to this forum. I used to use the flexwatt but found another company that are as credible as them called Flexel. They let me tour their facility. They make the product in Scotland. They have been around almost as long as flexwatt and i am very interested to hear there is a better heat tape available now. I do have one question before I start using this tape. I cant seem to find anything on THG and the product looks like a Korean product called Rexva. Is this a German company or is it actually Rexva? We have had many issues using a product that looks similar from three different Korean companies where the heat either disappeared after 6-8 months and the heater resistance drastically lowered. In another few instances the wattage went from 8 watts to over 20 watts causing a fire. It was not very stable over time. On a funny note some headcase from Korea sent me a product that was actually pen ink and not conductive carbon but that was just comical. I had a falling out with Flexel (you are probably familiar with their Ultratherm heaters) and even though flexwatt has worked without any issues for years they have absolutely no idea about our hobby. They only sell rolls and the shipping to the UK is higher than the product itself for goodness sake! Can anyone put me in touch with THG so I can make sure it is not Rexva that manufacturers it? If you could point me to a website for the manufacturer that would be brilliant.

I watched the infrared video and cant understand it. Can you explain that? I really appreciate it. the one on the left is glowing so it is obviously much hotter but I am not sure how to get a full understanding on this. THey cannot be the same wattage so I am not sure what to look for.

Lastly does this product come in 230 volt or would I need to step down the voltage?

Cheers mate.
    Last edited by JLC; 03-06-2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: language

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast