Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,200

0 members and 3,200 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts

Who owns guns and you carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Seanjackmc View Post
    How do you figure you could stop it? Gun to your head, wants your wallet, you give it to criminal, he gets nervous and decides to pull trigger. Not saying if you had a gun you could stop it either but I like your chances better if you are armed.
    Lol how? One if you saw me in person, drugged out crack head or not your not thinking I'm an easy target. Im not trying to sound like "joe cool" here. I have had extensive military training, ie MP,SRT,PSD schools while in the Army. And the fact I have ended a situation almost to a tee of what you just described there in the past, with no one leaving dead. I know I'm not typical. That's why I said that personally I don't see a need to CC, as for others I have no problem with them carrying.
    Last edited by Rob; 02-12-2013 at 04:18 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob For This Useful Post:

Seanjackmc (02-12-2013)

Thanks

Re: Who owns guns and you carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Lol how? One if you saw me in person, drugged out crack head or not your not thinking I'm an easy target. Im not trying to sound like joe cool here. I have had extensive military training, ie MP,SRT,PSD schools while in the Army. And the fact I have ended a situation almost to a tee of what you just described there in the past, with no one leaving dead. I know I'm not typical. That's why I said that personally I don't see a need to CC, as for others I have no problem with them carrying.
    Lol, I hear ya!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Seanjackmc For This Useful Post:

Rob (02-12-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seanjackmc View Post
    How do you figure you could stop it? Gun to your head, wants your wallet, you give it to criminal, he gets nervous and decides to pull trigger. Not saying if you had a gun you could stop it either but I like your chances better if you are armed.
    Have you seen Rob? I don't think he would have any problem...

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

Rob (02-12-2013)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrLang View Post
    I think the media likes to sensationalize things that make good news stories. I think a lot of Americans fall victim to the media trap. It's for making money, not sharing facts about the world we live in. Here's one that supports both sides of the claim: How many of you have known someone who was shot in an act of violence excluding wartime and how about knowing someone who shot someone in defense excluding wartime? Please share the circumstances so I can wake up from my delusion.

How many of you are actively concerned in your daily activities with preventing damage from heart disease and cancer? Those are the things that will kill you. This is fact.

How many carry firearms for protection but are obese, smoke cigarettes, or live sedentary lifestyles?

Again, no attack here... just food for thought / request for feedback.
    I don't actually read media reports, I look at the police reports themselves, to know what's going on in my area. I know the media likes to over report and sensationalize, that's why I don't trust them.

Though my good neighbor wasn't actually shot, he did have a gun pulled on him by one of the bad neighbors. Reason being the bad neighbor didn't like the way he thought my good neighbor was looking at him. During the time those bad neighbors live there, several arrests were made, and each time they were found to be felons not only in possession of drugs, but also guns. Previously I really had no desire to own a gun. I was content believing I was safe in my own home, content believing if something happened the police would be there in time to stop it, especially since I have an alarm system with security cameras on my house. Living next door to those drug dealers really opened up my eyes to the reality of this world.

Having said that... I don't smoke, I don't drink except for the occasional glass of wine (maybe 4 glasses in a month), I am not overweight, I don't live a sedentary lifestyle (there are days i hike over varied terrain as much as 6 or 7 hours of the day just for work). Where diet is concerned, I am working at eliminating processed foods from my diet. I cook a lot of my own food at home. I try to cook from scratch. I even try to raise what I can. I rarely use pharmaceuticals. I don't even like using perfume or air fresheners. I drink water, and lots of it. Heck I even sew my own clothes! I do everything I can to improve my health and well being, and avoid those things which will harm it. I'm not perfect, but I try to do what is best for my body and soul, and to be a good example for my daughter.
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 33rpm View Post
    Just curious, is an officer allowed to carry his/her own firearm on the job? Or are they all issued?
    Depends on the agency. Some issue them and some you have to buy your own. I have to buy mine but it has to be a 40 cal and of a certain make and model from our approved list.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Most departments carry issued weapons, that being said they take the issued weapons to the range and have to qualify with those weapons. So to answer your question mike, yes they are nice and comfortable with them.
    The only exception I have seen so far was a tiny police dept. out in a tiny town in TX near fort hood.
    Just because you can shoot the qualification doesn't mean its the best gun for you. During the qual nobody is shooting back or trying to take your gun. An officer with a fat double stack grip and short fingers will have a hard time dealing with a real life situation accurately, but with the right smaller grip pistol they are in better control and may have a better pistol for them.

Same thing with caliber.We shoot 40 cal, the department has seem smaller frame shooters have trouble with the round and have now allowed them to carry a 9mm. It goes back to what i said before. One hit from a 380 is better than a million misses from a 45.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Mike41793 (02-12-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrLang View Post
    I think the media likes to sensationalize things that make good news stories. I think a lot of Americans fall victim to the media trap. It's for making money, not sharing facts about the world we live in. Here's one that supports both sides of the claim: How many of you have known someone who was shot in an act of violence excluding wartime and how about knowing someone who shot someone in defense excluding wartime? Please share the circumstances so I can wake up from my delusion.

How many of you are actively concerned in your daily activities with preventing damage from heart disease and cancer? Those are the things that will kill you. This is fact.

How many carry firearms for protection but are obese, smoke cigarettes, or live sedentary lifestyles?

Again, no attack here... just food for thought / request for feedback.
    I agree with you about the media. It's not their job to provide news, it's their job to attract viewers, so they can sell ads. Period.

My gf manages an apartment complex. Her maintenance man was shot in the stomach, at his home, when he went outside because he heard a noise.

My dad was jumped at his apartment complex by 3 guys when he took out his trash one night. He didn't have a firearm on him at the time. Of course, he's a former SEAL, so he didn't need one. Those 3 guys took a beating. My dad was 60 at the time. A few months later, he saw the cops shoot someone in his apartment complex. He lives in a nice area.

About 1/4 mile away from my place, a 70-something year old man was on his morning walk at 5:30 in the morning. Someone didn't like the way he was walking, so he got out of his car and attacked the older man. Fortunately, the older man was carrying a .38. The attacker took some significant damage to the old twig and berries.

About two miles away, a woman was working the counter at a gas station. Two guys held her up. One of them pulled a gun, pointed it at her face, and pulled the trigger. The gun jammed. Her husband happended to be in the station - and he had a concealed carry permit. His gun didn't jam. They arrested the would-be murderer at the hospital.

Have you ever seen the Andy Griffith Show? I live in the town on which it was based. It has been voted within the top 6 friendliest cities in the US for the last two years.

http://travel.usatoday.com/destinati...ica/49573514/1

As to your other questions - I don't smoke, drink moderately and am (now that I've found a successful treatment for the nerve damage in my lower back), getting back into shape - I did P90x, ran marathons, etc.. pre-injury.

Download "Safe Neighborhood" for your phone if you get a chance. Input your address, or it will use GPS for your current location. Look at the number of convicted rapists that live within walking distance of your home. That will keep you up at night.
    BPs...
    2.3 Normals, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 Spider, 1.1 100% het albinos, 1.1 albinos, 1.0 Mojave, 1.1 het pieds, 1.0 lesser, 0.1 pinstripe, 0.1 YB

Other reptilian goodness...

0.1 black motley corn, 0.1 western hognose

Wait, you have how many snakes???

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts

Who owns guns and you carry?

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    the department has seem smaller frame shooters have trouble with the round and have now allowed them to carry a 9mm.
    Agreed on all accounts, just some depts have standard issued weapons.
    On what I quoted you on, is that a polite way of saying female officers??

Thanks
    I think MrLangs point about smoking, being obese and living a sedentary life style is a bit out there. Folks can live however they choose. It is not hypocritical to smoke a cigarette and carry a gun. We could run down a long long long list of things all of us do that MAY put us at a higher risk for anything than those who do not do them. Doesn't mean a bad guy has the right to take our lives.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Seanjackmc For This Useful Post:

sorraia (02-12-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swansonbb View Post
    Cat - I was thinking about guns & Canada last night, strangely enough. My thoughts settled somewhere on the idea that rifles & shotguns can kill you just as effectively as a handgun, so what's the difference? Secondly, I kept thinking about that kid who was decapitated on that bus a few years back. The whole bus ran away. It would have been great if someone had been carrying.

I'm by no means an enthusiast, but being a parent has really changed my thoughts. As I see it, I have a moral obligation to protect my little girls. When my daughter was cornered by that dog, I felt largely incapable of defending her. Once was enough.

The world can be a scary place. I wish it wasn't that way - in fact, I'm happiest when I'm in places in which I feel no need to be armed. I've been looking into moving closer to my work over the last few weeks. Between the criminal reports at EVERY apartment complex (including recent armed home invasions in one of the nicer places) and the public records of the convicted pedos and rapists (not to mention the ones that were never caught) that live within a few blocks of every affordable rental house, having the ability to defend myself, and more importantly, my girls, seems more imporant than ever.
    I agree, shot guns can kill you just as effectively, but no one carries them. That's the huge difference.

And that bus situation was a freak anomaly, but it would have been convenient if someone could have taken him down.

I don't think these are good reasons to own guns. Reading all your posts makes me feel like some of you guys live in rough areas. Here, where I live (even in Toronto) the homicide rate is very low, as is the robbery rate. Those rates account for all weapons used, as well, so the homicides and robberies by gun violence would be even lower.

I'm not telling you guys you shouldn't protect your families with guns - if it's legal, do whatever you want or need to do. I was just saying how interestingly different the gun culture is to our 2 countries, and that I'm glad I live north of the border instead of south.

Reach for the stars, and if you don't grab them at least you'll fall on top of the world.

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast