Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,237

1 members and 3,236 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Re: Who owns guns and you carry?

Quote Originally Posted by MrLang View Post
    I was under the impression you could lose your job for that or be arrested for pulling a gun in public to stop a crime you witness as a civilian. I guess I was wrong.

You'd shoot someone high on drugs with clouded judgement who tried to pickpocket you? Don't they give psychological tests to potential police officers to weed out this kind of attitude?

Again, can't you lose your job and get put in jail for that? Perhaps it depends on the state. I understand you're explaining your own stance, but would you advocate a civilian use force against an attacker? It's almost universally accepted in self defense that you're much safer not attempting something like that in 90+% of confrontations.
    No, i don't lose my job. I'm not a civilian and have the power to arrest at all time. I have made several arrest off duty. In many situation we are mandated to act.

And no I'm not just shooting every one that commits a crime. A pickpocket is committing a theft while a robber is committing a theft with force or threat of force. And yes, the robber gets shot every time.

I like how you take a stab at my sanity when you don't know me. Thanks for the respect for officers. I guess we have to be alittle crazy to do the job for the lousy pay. I don't see why a should be weeded out for a stance to protect what's mine. If I wouldn't protect my property what makes you think I would/should protect a civilians, yours.I didn't like that comment and thought it was low.

So at the beginning of every violent crime the criminal should state if this crime falls into the less than 10% that will become violent. That way you will know if you should fight or not. It shouldn't be a problem to get criminals to comply with that since they are such great people.Sure if you don't have to fight and know you are going to make it out that's great. If you don't know or thinks its going to go bad, fight to the death.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Annarose15 (02-13-2013),pigfat (02-12-2013),sho220 (02-12-2013),youbeyouibei (02-13-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 3skulls View Post
    Everyone should have the right to protect themselves.
    Just wanted to point out that I agree with you, as stated in the first line of my first post here.

How am I far out there talking about Heart Disease and Cancer? Every year over a million people die before their time from those 2 combined causes of death. Around 35,000 die from SUICIDE by firearm, and closer to 10,000 for homocide / gun violence. Put some jelly beans in a jar to try to quantify that. I don't say that mockingly; a million is a number that is difficult to quantify for anyone that isn't an astronomer or mathematician, self included.

My only point there is that you can't claim 'it's a crazy, dangerous world out there' and then roll through McDonald's drive-thru strapped with a handgun without contributing to the kind of hypocrisy that makes other countries laugh at America.

It seems, and this is speculative, much more likely that someone like big Rob might wrestle a gun off your persons while you're trying to be a hero, shoot you with it, and carry it off to use at the scene of the next crime they commit. Or just rob your house when you're not home and use the gun on the scene of their next crime. Just to round that thought out, I don't think banning guns is the 'solution' to gun violence, since that could be construed that way. What I mean by that is I wonder if someone owning or carrying a gun might be in MORE danger than someone unarmed.

Again, I totally agree with the right to bear and carry arms. Please keep that in mind while reading these responses.

Thank you all for not flinging poo at me.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Agreed on all accounts, just some depts have standard issued weapons.
    On what I quoted you on, is that a polite way of saying female officers??
    Some but not all. The trend in the past few years has been officers getting hired on are smaller. A 40 cal is just to snappy for some folks.

I myself would rather a 357sig or 45 acp for work.
    KMG

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Rob (02-12-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts

Who owns guns and you carry?

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Some but not all.
    Lol from what I have seen, women as a whole are better shots anyway.

Thanks
    Mr. Lang,

I can tell you that armed civilians usually come out better than the criminal. They know their weapon. They practice with their weapon. They have a loaded weapon.

Most criminals are using stolen guns and most times when I find one they are low on ammo only having 3-5 rounds. Now it was probably fully loaded when stolen so where (who at or in) did the bullets go.
    KMG

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

pigfat (02-12-2013),sorraia (02-12-2013)

Thanks

Just wanted to point out that I agree with you, as stated in the first line of my first post here.

How am I far out there talking about Heart Disease and Cancer? Every year over a million people die before their time from those 2 combined causes of death. Around 35,000 die from SUICIDE by firearm, and closer to 10,000 for homocide / gun violence. Put some jelly beans in a jar to try to quantify that. I don't say that mockingly; a million is a number that is difficult to quantify for anyone that isn't an astronomer or mathematician, self included.

My only point there is that you can't claim 'it's a crazy, dangerous world out there' and then roll through McDonald's drive-thru strapped with a handgun without contributing to the kind of hypocrisy that makes other countries laugh at America.

It seems, and this is speculative, much more likely that someone like big Rob might wrestle a gun off your persons while you're trying to be a hero, shoot you with it, and carry it off to use at the scene of the next crime they commit. Or just rob your house when you're not home and use the gun on the scene of their next crime. Just to round that thought out, I don't think banning guns is the 'solution' to gun violence, since that could be construed that way. What I mean by that is I wonder if someone owning or carrying a gun might be in MORE danger than someone unarmed.

Again, I totally agree with the right to bear and carry arms. Please keep that in mind while reading these responses.

Thank you all for not flinging poo at me.
    Ok I want to be nice and calm. I started this thread and clearly stated I don't intend to start a political debate here. I've gotten sucked in a bit so I'm removing myself from it now. If you MrLang would like to start a gun control thread please do. Ill debate my points there. This was simply a thread trying to get people who share a love for snakes to learn what else we have in common. I actually think you should start a thread and lay out your McDonald's drive thru and carrying a firearm hypocrisy.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Seanjackmc For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (02-12-2013)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    How come you didn't comment on that thread i made a little awhile ago?! I brought up the fact that i felt id be able to kill a home intruder if they were stealing my stuff and not one person really agreed with me. I sorta felt evil for having those feelings lol.
    I don't look past the first page so it was probably gone down the line.

While I get the Texas motto on shooting criminals, I lived there for years (Best damn state I lived in) personally I know I don't need a gun to stop that situation from escalating. Best yet, no one has to die.
    Even with my background, I am to old and far to tired to put up a fight anymore.

Lol how? One if you saw me in person, drugged out crack head or not your not thinking I'm an easy target. Im not trying to sound like "joe cool" here. I have had extensive military training, ie MP,SRT,PSD schools while in the Army. And the fact I have ended a situation almost to a tee of what you just described there in the past, with no one leaving dead. I know I'm not typical. That's why I said that personally I don't see a need to CC, as for others I have no problem with them carrying.
    I am sure Mr Chris Kyle had just as much (if not more) training than either of us put together and none of it helped him. Even the firearm on his hip didn't do any good. I would rather have the choice of taking your life and keeping mine over waiting for PD to show up after the fact to mark my body.

Lol from what I have seen, women as a whole are better shots anyway.
    My wife is deadly with her .357

Thanks

I was under the impression you could lose your job for that or be arrested for pulling a gun in public to stop a crime you witness as a civilian. I guess I was wrong.

You'd shoot someone high on drugs with clouded judgement who tried to pickpocket you? Don't they give psychological tests to potential police officers to weed out this kind of attitude?

Again, can't you lose your job and get put in jail for that? Perhaps it depends on the state. I understand you're explaining your own stance, but would you advocate a civilian use force against an attacker? It's almost universally accepted in self defense that you're much safer not attempting something like that in 90+% of confrontations.
    In Oklahoma, you can still act as law enforcement as long as you're carrying concealed. At my department we can carry whatever we want while off duty. Only requirements is that it has to be between .380 and .45. We can also carry whatever we want to while ON duty, but we have to shoot two different qualification courses with the pistol. The normal CLEET course and our department course which is more strict and shoot at greater distances.
    -Joe

1.0 100% Het. Albino
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Fire
    1.0 Pinstripe
    1.0 Purple Albino Retic

Thanks

KMG, nobody realizes what we deal with on a day to day scene. I wish people would do a ride-along and actually SEE what we deal with. Most think it's just riding around giving people tickets. I wish that's all there was to it!
    -Joe

1.0 100% Het. Albino
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Fire
    1.0 Pinstripe
    1.0 Purple Albino Retic

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pigfat For This Useful Post:

3skulls (02-12-2013),KMG (02-12-2013),Mike41793 (02-12-2013),PitOnTheProwl (02-12-2013),sho220 (02-12-2013),sorraia (02-12-2013),youbeyouibei (02-13-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,184 Posts

I'm never here to fling poo.

Going through McDonalds is your choice, being robbed isn't. I can care less if someone wants to hurt themselves. (Until it comes to if I have to pay for their healthcare)

There are also just bad genetics that add to that number. I'm all for cleaning up the human gene pool too :p

I'm not say everyone should have a gun. You are right, a number of people would have the gun taken from them and used on them.
    A construction worker could have his hammer taken off his tool belt and used to bash his brains in. A gun is a tool.
    In the right hands it could save a life, in the wrong hands it could take one.

I can see both sides.
    I'm pretty open to let everything go until it comes to hurting someone else.

99% of criminal death in my city is over drugs and money. The 1% is domestic.
    I think most crime comes from the Government trying to control its people.

Take drugs for example. It's supply and demand. Clean up the streets, price goes sky high, crime follows the money.
    The junkie needs more money to get his fix. The dealer rips off the buyer or his supplier. People get pissed.

Do I want everyone walking down the street stoned out of his head? No. Do I think it should be a crime to do an 8ball in your home over the weekend? No.

If anyone here feels they have the right to say a person shouldn't do something (unless its hurting another person). Has no say if someone wants to ban their snakes. No one should have the right to control another human and tell them what rights they have.

The Government needs to be fixing the roads and bridges, not telling me what kind of gun I can own or what snake is safe for me. They don't need to take away my 64oz coke or tell me if I can have transfat. They should have no say if I want to grow a plant inside my house.

People need to worry and take care of themselves and their family, let everyone else do the same. If that ever happened your kids, kids might just have a real chance to be free.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3skulls For This Useful Post:

Annarose15 (02-13-2013),Seanjackmc (02-12-2013),sorraia (02-12-2013)

Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast