Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,309

2 members and 3,307 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627
    Thanks

Re: Who owns guns and you carry?

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I would imagine that the VAST majority of negligent discharges with Glocks are due to fingers on triggers when they shouldn't be. That and the whole "don't point it at anything you're not willing to destroy" bit. Bad gunhandling and/or ignoring safety rules leads to unintended loud noises, and those come with consequences. This is not specific to Glocks; they just happen to have a smaller margin for error than a DA/SA gun like the Beretta you mention. S&W M&P pistols have the exact same shortcoming, as do the Walther PPQ, the Caracal, and many, many others.

Switching away from Glocks in order to "fix" this problem is really just a band-aid for a bad training culture within an organization. People should be training to handle their gun correctly, be it a Glock or anything else, and that means finger off the trigger until you intend to shoot, regardless of whether it's striker fired like a Glock or M&P, DA/SA like the Beretta, manual safety like a 1911, or something funky like an HK P7 (technically striker fired, but the safety system is a very novel design).

All of the above should be read with the understanding that I have no horse in the race - I don't own a Glock and am not a fanboy, but that doesn't mean I don't respect them for what they are.

On a separate note, "misfire" is a general term used to categorize many types of ammunition failure (failure to fire, squib, hangfire, etc), and has nothing to do with accidental or negligent discharge, which is what you seem to be using it for.
    Well said, ever see the video of a Glock dropped out of a helicopter with one in the chamber. Didn't fire. Now there is no such thing as 100% imo when it comes to anything mechanical, but glocks do not just go off unless the trigger is pulled. And if having a external safety on your firearm makes you feel it's safe, then you have no business owning a gun, imo. Gun safety is 100% the responsibility of the one who owns the gun end of story, all guns are dangerous. For what it's worth I own and shoot 2 Glocks a 22 and 27. 22 is a gen 4 and 27 gen 3. Never had a misfire, ftf, fte, stovepipe or anything but bang. IMO most "misfires" are a result of user error (limp wrist) or low quality ammunition. Going off unexpectedly is also user error. Finger on trigger while you draw, or reholstering or no holster at all. To be clear I'm not saying a Glock is the best gun out there, I think there are a bunch of great handguns being produced today. I will say for someone who is going to own one gun and doesn't want a revolver I do believe it is the best.
    FWIW

Thanks
    I own a "few" firearms. I don't like listing the entire group because frankly I don't want people knowing what I have, but will say that my carry weapon of choice is the Beretta M9. I know it's not the best handgun out there, but I carried one as an MP and really am happy with it and its performance.
    `*`

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seanjackmc View Post
    Can you call my wife please and share your gift giving tips!
    LOL, it's a double edged sword for him, yeah he gets something he likes, and in the case of the M-1A something he might not have bought himself, but it also means he can't complain when I bring home a new snake, rack, incubator... He's awful at gift shopping, so I buy stuff for myself and tell him it's what he got me.
    -Devon

0.1 Axanthic Bee (Pixel)
    0.2 Axanthic Pastel (Cornelia, Short Round)
    0.1 Axanthic (Bubbles)
    0.1 Bee het Axanthic (Nipper)
    0.1 Lesser (Lydia)
    0.1 het Lavender (Poppy)
    0.1 het Hypo (Cookie)
    1.0 Killerbee het Axanthic (Yellow Dude)
    1.0 Pied (Starry Starry Dude)
    1.0 Butter Hypo (Spooky Dude)
    1.0 PH Lavender (Little Dude)

Thanks
    Currently only own a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 ga and as everyone has said, it's an exceptional weapon. Bought it used for under $250 and have absolutely no regrets. Once my tax return comes in, pretty sure I'll be getting the STI Spartan IV. Its a wicked 1911 chambered in 9mm. Don't plan on actually CC, but I do intend to take the course and get my CC. If I carry, I might just open carry if I decide its worth risking "public panic" or whatever the legal rules are in NC

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seanjackmc View Post
    To be clear I'm not saying a Glock is the best gun out there, I think there are a bunch of great handguns being produced today. I will say for someone who is going to own one gun and doesn't want a revolver I do believe it is the best.
    FWIW
    30 years ago I would agree that a Glock would be hard to beat (when they weren't kb'ing), but I think the rest of the manufacturers have also figured out how to make a pretty good poly semi-auto. I personally don't see any edge to getting a Glock other than personal preference and price.
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627