Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,350

2 members and 3,348 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts

PETA Pretends to Care About Snakes

PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals)
    34 minutes ago ·
    FACT: To kill snakes for their skins, hunters often nail them to trees & skin them alive before tossing them in a pile to die.

Celebrate the Year of the Snake with Jenna Dewan-Tatum by pledging to NOT wear them: http://peta.vg/jw

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

Thanks
    Great, now they'll start rounding up and gassing adoptable herps like they do dogs and cats.
    I like how they act like it's some new thing. PETA, you could have been dealing with this before, but you decided to whine about things like Pokemon games and spend money on trying to get people to not play them.
    PETA is a joke. I would pass it off as butthurt rambling if they didn't waste money they could be using to help animals. If it isn't telling everyone that our farmers cut cows up while they're still alive(they don't) or saying that Pokemon games convince children that 'Pokemon only exist to fight'(they don't exist, and the purpose of the game is to battle), it's being very behind on things.

On another note, I want to know how these poachers get a snake to sit still so they can gently remove the skin. I've actually done a dissection on a snake before...one false move and you could end up ripping or nicking the skin, and that was with proper medical tools and a non-moving subject. No one would buy a ripped or bloody product...

Thanks

Re: PETA Pretends to Care About Snakes

Quote Originally Posted by EarthlyMaiden View Post
    On another note, I want to know how these poachers get a snake to sit still so they can gently remove the skin. I've actually done a dissection on a snake before...one false move and you could end up ripping or nicking the skin, and that was with proper medical tools and a non-moving subject. No one would buy a ripped or bloody product...
    Although I don't agree with anything that PETA does or says, the harvest and culling of snakes for their skins is probably just as brutal as they make it out to be, take a look at this video. Comparing people dispatching and skinning animals in the field to a dissection you've done is kind of a foolish mentality because those are two very different situations with two very different goals.
    The Ball Pythons
    0.1 2002 normal "Noodle", 1.0 2011 albino "Mosh", 0.1 2011 pinstripe "Pepper", 1.0 2009 lesser "Cato, 0.1 2010 spider "Phoebe", 1.0 2011 pastel 50% het. hypo "Toad", 0.1 2012 black pewter "Pomona", 0.1 2013 kingpin "Marvel", 0.0.7 lesserxspider eggs

The Others
    0.1 2013 p. baroni "Hyacinth", 0.1 2013 CB g. oxycephala "Laurasia", 1.0 2013 T+ albino p. brongersmai "Reinhardt", 1.0 2012 CH g. oxycephala "Gondwana"

The Dearly Departed
    0.1 2012-2013 hypo black pastel "Dexter"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    That's how I skin catfish. I hope they don't find out!
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    The video clearly shows them crushing the heads on pythons and then says that "obviously" they're still alive because they still move around. Anyone killing animals knows that bodies still move even after the brain has been destroyed. It's the same argument PETA/HSUS/AR use to say that cows are still alive while being butchered, because a leg is kicking or the body is twitching.

It might not be great for the snakes to get killed for skins, and obviously threatened and protected species should not be harvested... but killing a snake that has a healthy population for skins(and meat) is no different for places like that than killing deer or turkeys is for us.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    I understand what you're saying and really, I personally don't have a problem with controlled hunting or slaughter of animals for human purpose, however, a lot of those snakes in the video were not just death thrashing. There were animals still slithering around with their faces bashed in and that is absolutely a horrible and cruel way to dispatch of any creature and then they were hanged up from hook by their mouths and clearly struggling in pain. They were not dead or rendered unconscious when hit with the hammer. :/
    The Ball Pythons
    0.1 2002 normal "Noodle", 1.0 2011 albino "Mosh", 0.1 2011 pinstripe "Pepper", 1.0 2009 lesser "Cato, 0.1 2010 spider "Phoebe", 1.0 2011 pastel 50% het. hypo "Toad", 0.1 2012 black pewter "Pomona", 0.1 2013 kingpin "Marvel", 0.0.7 lesserxspider eggs

The Others
    0.1 2013 p. baroni "Hyacinth", 0.1 2013 CB g. oxycephala "Laurasia", 1.0 2013 T+ albino p. brongersmai "Reinhardt", 1.0 2012 CH g. oxycephala "Gondwana"

The Dearly Departed
    0.1 2012-2013 hypo black pastel "Dexter"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MisterKyte View Post
    I understand what you're saying and really, I personally don't have a problem with controlled hunting or slaughter of animals for human purpose, however, a lot of those snakes in the video were not just death thrashing. There were animals still slithering around with their faces bashed in and that is absolutely a horrible and cruel way to dispatch of any creature and then they were hanged up from hook by their mouths and clearly struggling in pain. They were not dead or rendered unconscious when hit with the hammer. :/
    I don't think you have much experience killing snakes. Even with the head completely cut off they will wiggle and move for a long time after.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (02-11-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MisterKyte View Post
    Although I don't agree with anything that PETA does or says, the harvest and culling of snakes for their skins is probably just as brutal as they make it out to be, take a look at this video. Comparing people dispatching and skinning animals in the field to a dissection you've done is kind of a foolish mentality because those are two very different situations with two very different goals.
    I have no doubt it's a brutal process, I just don't trust PETA.
    They made the same 'cut up while still alive' claim about beef cattle in slaughterhouses. (When, if they actually observed a slaughterhouse, they'd find that it is extremely humane.) They made farmers out to be freaks who like to mutilate live animals, and they tend to categorize everyone who isn't a total vegan as some sort of complete monster. I've reached the point where I assume everything they say is either a complete lie, an uninformed statement or extremely exaggerated.

I was also commenting on how it would be difficult to remove skin from a wriggling, moving animal that could just as easily bite you if you need to get the skin off intact.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts

It's cool that PETA is putting something out there for snakes. It's just a shame it has taken "the year or the snake" for me to see them care about anything that isn't cute and fuzzy.
    Last edited by Rob; 02-10-2013 at 09:55 PM.

Thanks

PETA is a joke of an organization. As much as they say they love and help animals.. It just doesn't show.

As an animal lover, if they actually helped animals, I would gladly support them. Classic do as I say not as I do organization.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast