Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,141

2 members and 3,139 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Converting a new mouser.

I have had a 838g, 39", two year old male for almost two weeks. He was fed regularly on live mice at his old home and I want to eventually convert him to more size appropriate frozen rats. He was feeding weekly but missed his last meal before being shipped out. I tried to feed him a live 30g mouse (I had two ready in case he took the first) after a week and he shyed away from it. I tried to feed him in a dark, lidded plastic tub. His temps and humidity are perfect and he is using both hides with occasional wandering at night. I haven't handled him during last week or this week aside from when I first got him, and once to adjust a thermometer probe. He never struck, just hissed a lot. I want to get him used to handling, but I don't want to bother him until I get him to eat for me.

This Monday will be his next feed. Should I just give him something he's used to in order to get him settled on a schedule, or should I use the short fast as an opportunity to "tough love" him onto rats?

Thanks
    Best of luck with your new acquisition.
    I'm switching my BP from F/T mice to F/T rats shortly and am hoping scenting is enough to convince my guy.
    I would personally give him what he is used to for his 1st feeding just to make verifying his eating for yourself then try feeding warmed F/T on a normal schedule.