Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,211

1 members and 3,210 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

This "blizzard"..

Ok so my area is expecting a blizzard tomorrow and Saturday (30" of snow) and high winds. My power usually doesn't go out (did not in hurricane Sandy) but I am worried about my new BP. How do you guys keep your snakes warm? Probably some of you have backup generators for large collections but I only have one snake. I bought 2 boxes of 8+ hour hand warmers so far. I was thinking about getting a small tent heater which is sold in mountain gear stores for $10-$30. And buying lots of batteries for it. What else do you guys do to keep a single snake warm in a power outage?

Thanks

Re: This "blizzard"..

Quote Originally Posted by dave21 View Post
    Ok so my area is expecting a blizzard tomorrow and Saturday (30" of snow) and high winds. My power usually doesn't go out (did not in hurricane Sandy) but I am worried about my new BP. How do you guys keep your snakes warm? Probably some of you have backup generators for large collections but I only have one snake. I bought 2 boxes of 8+ hour hand warmers so far. I was thinking about getting a small tent heater which is sold in mountain gear stores for $10-$30. And buying lots of batteries for it. What else do you guys do to keep a single snake warm in a power outage?
    I am in New England and expect at least 24" tomorrow. I would say those are great first steps. Also, keep the door closed as much as possible (trap in heat) and I strongly recommend the sticky warmers (which you purchased). My car has a 12V plug we can run our space heater off, which will be a short term solution. If a long term power outage, I would have a last ditch backup plan, either a friend with a generator or a local shop where you can store him until the heat/power comes back. Where do you live?
    WTF Morphs
    Current Projects:
    Arroyo, Black Pastel, Calico, Champagne, Cinnamon, Enchi, Fire, Jungle Woma,Leopard, Lesser/Butter, Mojave, Pastel, Spark (Het Puma), Specter (HetSuperstripe), Spotnose, Vanilla, Yellowbelly, Spider, Pinstripe, Nova, Axanthic(TSK), Clown, Genetic Stripe, Hypo Orange Ghost, Piebald

Like us on Facebook!
    www.wtfmorphsofmanchester.com
    www.facebook.com/wtfmorphsofmanchester

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Joshua Jasper For This Useful Post:

dave21 (02-08-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts

This "blizzard"..

Ugh not looking forward to this storm

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob For This Useful Post:

dave21 (02-08-2013)

Thanks
    Last time we lost power for a decent length of time, I used the fireplace to keep all the reptiles warm. Had to move all of them to the family room but we were without power for almost 24 hours. If you don't have a fireplace and/or wood to keep it going, the doors being close, drapes, blankets over windows and even tanks will help hold in the heat. Sounds like you've got it pretty well covered for the short term with the heat packs though too. If you're looking at multiple days without power, the portable heater might not be bad though I'd look for something that uses propane instead of batteries. They tend to put out more heat for the power/fuel used.
    Ball Pythons: 1.1 Pastave (Regulus and Ceti), 0.1 Albino (Aria), 0.1 Lesser (Daenerys), 0.1 Mojave (Sangria), 1.0 Enchi Pastel (Declan), 0.1 Normal (Sydney), 1.0 Lesser pos. het Clown/Pied (Loki), 1.0 het Clown pos. het lavender albino (Liam), 0.2 het Clown (Cara and Milly)

Corn Snakes: 1.0 Blizzard (Flurry)

Other: 0.1 Bearded Dragon (Faranth), 0.1 Russian Tortoise (Henry), 1.1 Dogs (Floppy and Lucy), 2.1 Cats (Jack, Brando, and Godiva), 1 Very Understanding Husband

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dracoluna For This Useful Post:

dave21 (02-08-2013)

Thanks

Worse case, your body temp would be perfect. Just hold your snake against your bare skin and wrap yourself up in a blanket.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BHReptiles For This Useful Post:

dave21 (02-08-2013),martin82531 (02-08-2013)

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    I just want to remind people that proportional thermostats do NOT work with generators. (There are a few pricy inverter generators that will work, but 99% will not)
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

Badgemash (02-08-2013),dave21 (02-08-2013),DooLittle (02-08-2013),martin82531 (02-08-2013),Redneck_Crow (02-08-2013)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    I've put mine in their tubs in a vehicle with the heater running for several hours at a stretch but that was a short-term solution. Thankfully we haven't lost power for any longer than a few hours duration, knock on wood. The heat packs are a good first step as would be getting a heater, preferably propane-powered. Just be aware of oxygen deprivation if you run it indoors, along with a slight risk of CO2 build-up, depending how clean burning it is. Good luck with things and hopefully the forecast is worse than the realtiy when the storm hits. Take care.
    Before all else, be armed. - Niccolo Machiavelli

13. The Following User Says Thank You to youbeyouibei For This Useful Post:

dave21 (02-08-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Jasper View Post
    I am in New England and expect at least 24" tomorrow. I would say those are great first steps. Also, keep the door closed as much as possible (trap in heat) and I strongly recommend the sticky warmers (which you purchased). My car has a 12V plug we can run our space heater off, which will be a short term solution. If a long term power outage, I would have a last ditch backup plan, either a friend with a generator or a local shop where you can store him until the heat/power comes back. Where do you live?
    In Rhode Island. My part is getting the 30". I would get a space heater or propane heater but I still have to work 9 am - 9 pm everyday snow or no snow. So I will not be home and probably will not leave it on for safety reasons. I only have one snake, should I put the hand warmers directly in the tank in a sock or tape them to the bottom of the glass? I am going to look for 24-40 hour heat packs tomorrow before work. I am not looking forward to this. When i used to have multiple snakes when I lived home I would put their tubs about 5 feet from the fireplace. Now living in a apartment I am out of luck I guess lol. How hardy is a BP and will these hand warmers prevent a possible RI even if the ambient temp is still cold?
    Last edited by dave21; 02-08-2013 at 01:19 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BHReptiles View Post
    Worse case, your body temp would be perfect. Just hold your snake against your bare skin and wrap yourself up in a blanket.
    So many ways to go with this one
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Het Snow BCI
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python

Thanks
    Hand warmers are great, you can use warm water bottles as well. (Just make sure they're not too hot). I also second that body heat and a blanket works.

Good luck to everybody that's in this storm. Shouldn't be too too bad I think.
    0.1 Normal Ball Python - Athena
    1.0 American Leatherback Bearded Dragon - Ares

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast