Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,160

1 members and 3,159 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Wilomn...

Thanks

Re: Wilomn...

Quote Originally Posted by satomi325 View Post
    Actually, a better example would be cooking.
    When you first learn how to cook, you follow a recipe word for word. As you gain experience, you find that you don't have to follow the recipe word for word and can add your own flare to it. You can replace certain ingredients and different amounts of it to still gain a similar final result.

Actually I have taught myself how to cook by experimenting... Never used a recipe unless u count cooking instructions.. And I have been told im a damn good cook..not a pro chef but I can make anything taste good lol

Now at the same time right now metaphoricaly i'm making Mac n cheese and I want to make lasagna, however experimenting in this case could cause harm to a living pet snake.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedMX3 View Post
    Apparently it hasnt gotton his attention....
    It amazes me how everyone assumes your being aggressive or attacking when your simply trying to get a legitimate answer for a question that was answered with a bit of an condescending attitude..

It's the fact you singled him out that makes you sound aggressive or attacking. You didn't just ask for 'out of the box' methods in general to the forum. You specified for Wilomn.
    I bet he knows about this thread. But he isn't required to answer if he doesn't want to.

Actually I have taught myself how to cook by experimenting... Never used a recipe unless u count cooking instructions.. And I have been told im a damn good cook..not a pro chef but I can make anything taste good lol

Now at the same time right now metaphoricaly i'm making Mac n cheese and I want to make lasagna, however experimenting in this case could cause harm to a living pet snake.
    Ok. You missed the analogy...

And there was no implying of experimentation. There have been enough experimentation in the past to achieve our current knowledge of bp husbandry and needs.

The recipe for Mac & Cheese say use American cheese. You can substitute that with Mozzarella cheese and still get a great Mac & Cheese. Saying Mac & Cheese and Lasagna is Apples to Oranges...... That's like you saying you have ball pythons, but want to house monitor lizards using the same husbandry requirement.

The point of the analogy was to say there are different ways to achieve the same final result and goal. Nothing is set in stone.
    Experienced keepers understand this. They understand that there are more than one way to keep a ball python healthy and thriving....
    Many of us have probably started with the caresheet and calibrated our husbandry accordingly word for word. With experience, you realize, there are other ways that do the same thing successfully.

It's just what works for you and what keeps your animal's healthy.
    Last edited by satomi325; 02-06-2013 at 03:00 AM.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Anatopism (02-06-2013),Coleslaw007 (02-07-2013),Inarikins (02-09-2013),STjepkes (02-06-2013),wilomn (02-06-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 501 Posts
    I'm scared of Wilomn.

(it feels good to finally type it out loud)
    Adversity does not build character, it reveals it

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BrandiR For This Useful Post:

aldebono (02-07-2013),babyknees (02-08-2013),Coleslaw007 (02-07-2013),Flikky (02-06-2013),Kaorte (02-06-2013),liv (02-06-2013),satomi325 (02-06-2013),Skittles1101 (02-06-2013)

Thanks
    more popcorn!!!!!

Anyone want some?? I have original and butter flavors!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by satomi325 View Post
    Actually, a better example would be cooking.
    When you first learn how to cook, you follow a recipe word for word. As you gain experience, you find that you don't have to follow the recipe word for word and can add your own flare to it. You can replace certain ingredients and different amounts of it to still gain a similar final result.
    Unless you are making a soufflé. Trust me learned the hard way

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    So what you are saying is, because he is new, we should refuse to answer his questions about advanced husbandry.

This seems wrong.
    How do I progress beyond noob if People don't share some more advanced advice is the point.. Not saying I would jump out and keep 5 snakes in one tank and feed them all live together at once..

I would like more advanced methods and options as maybe your advances method happens to suit my needs and abilities better..

I am guilty of and see others freaking out about keeping "perfect" husbandry with temps and stuff as the way a lot of the basic info gets put to ppl it's like keep these numbers for temps and humidity or your snakes going to die..

I originally decided to get a bp cuz they are easy to care for compared to a lot of reptiles.. Then I came here and i saw a lot of the advice and it honestly made keeping a bp seem way harder then it is.. At least so far..

Also maybe if I fiddle with it I will find something new that I could then offer on here as an option
    We do have an advanced husbandry sub-forum.

Simply asking in a different tone there may have got a few more replies.

It's difficult to explain the focus on the basic husbandry plan we "regurge" without offending people by accident. It is used because it requires the least knowledge and observational skills and doesn't presume the keeper can tell, from behaviour only, when something isn't working for the animal before it actually causes any problems.

Unlike cooking we try and avoid throwing failed experiments in the trash.

I genuinely believe it is better for people to learn how to walk before they attempt to run when it affects another living being so fundamentally. We have never said there is only one way to keep BP's healthy and happy - though at times reading the site it can seem that way.

dr del
    Last edited by dr del; 02-06-2013 at 11:47 AM.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

9. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Aes_Sidhe (02-06-2013),Anatopism (02-06-2013),Badgemash (02-07-2013),Coleslaw007 (02-07-2013),Flikky (02-06-2013),HypoLyf (02-06-2013),Inarikins (02-09-2013),Mutheruva (02-06-2013),Royal Hijinx (02-06-2013),snakesRkewl (02-06-2013),Stewart_Reptiles (02-06-2013),STjepkes (02-06-2013),wolfy-hound (02-06-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts

Wilomn...

I'm not sure if the op is being sincere or just trying to get a rise out of wilomn lol but whatever.
    I guess an example of something I personally practice that is not the normal procedure for most is offering food the first day I get a snake in. It's something that I have found to work but popular belief is that it's best to let them settle in.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rob For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (02-06-2013),Mike41793 (02-06-2013),Redneck_Crow (02-06-2013),STjepkes (02-06-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    We do have an advanced husbandry sub-forum.

Simply asking in a different tone there may have got a few more replies.

It's difficult to explain the focus on the basic husbandry plan we "regurge" without offending people by accident. It is used because it requires the least knowledge and observational skills and doesn't presume the keeper can tell, from behaviour only, when something isn't working for the animal before it actually causes any problems.

Unlike cooking we try and avoid throwing failed experiments in the trash.

I genuinely believe it is better for people to learn how to walk before they attempt to run when it affects another living being so fundamentally. We have never said there is only one way to keep BP's healthy and happy - though at times reading the site it can seem that way.

dr del
    I think we can all agree that this thread was created for the wrong reason, but I believe the OP truly does just want information about unconventional husbandry.

So far, I have seen few replies even hinting that people would be willing to share their practices. OP just keeps getting shut down by every member who posts.

I think it is also understood that newbies get the easy husbandry. We don't give them advanced husbandry because they aren't asking for it. But in this case, the OP is SPECIFICALLY asking for information regarding advanced husbandry. Who are we to say that because you are new and just starting out that you don't deserve this information? OP has the basic husbandry down. He is doing things right and by the book. After hearing different opinions on husbandry requirements, he may or may not decide to investigate further or change his ways.

This is not the right thread for this kind of discussion, it does belong in advanced husbandry, and we definitely shouldn't be making threads to "call out" any specific person.

I'm just baffled that everyone seems to be jumping on the "don't give the newb any complicated husbandry information" bandwagon. Why can't we just suggest that the OP make a new thread that is more geared toward his actual question? Why isn't anyone trying to help? Why is everyone sitting back and "eating popcorn"? Come on guys, we've all made mistakes. We were all new at one point. We all wondered why Wilomn makes the posts that he does.

I understand why the OP made this thread. I don't agree that he should have made it, but I get it. It makes sense to me.
    ~Steffe

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

Redneck_Crow (02-06-2013),Rob (02-06-2013),STjepkes (02-06-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I'm not sure if the op is being sincere or just trying to get a rise out of wilomn lol but whatever.
    I guess an example of something I personally practice that is not the normal procedure for most is offering food the first day I get a snake in. It's something that I have found to work but popular belief is that it's best to let them settle in.
    Heh heh....I do that too a lot of the time. I know, I know, -- it's a carved in stone no-no, but almost all of mine eat the first or second day. My own nutty theory is that it helps them settle in. I give them a smallish prey item, a warm dark place to hide, and fresh water. Snake heaven. I have never had a regurg in the years I've done this.

Before I offer food I watch how the snake is acting- if it's huddled in a corner trying to hide I don't offer, if it's exploring its bin and active I do. I'd never tell someone else to do as I do.
    "Why I Have Grey Hair," the story of my life:

The cast: 0.1 het pied, Minnie, "Heartless." 0.1 pied, Dorothy, "The Girl Next Door." 0.1 mojave, Lily, "Stuck Up Little Princess." 0.1 pastel yb, Marilyn, "The Bombshell." 0.1 normal, Miss Maenad, "Femme Fatale." 1.0 dinker, Darth Jackass, "Scum of the Earth." 1.0 piebald, Mickey, "A Really Nice Guy." 1.0 jigsaw, Kaa, "The Young Dude." 0.1 cinnamon, Hera, "If Looks Could Kill" 0.1 pastel, Luna, "If It Moves, Eat It"

Recently joined by Badger and Honey, 1.1 spotnoses.

...and an ever-changing host of supporting actors and actresses: rat and ASF.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrandiR View Post
    I'm scared of Wilomn.

(it feels good to finally type it out loud)
    He is one of my favorite people on here! Up there with Skip, but I'd never "call them out" in such a public way. Playing with fire and all of that

To the OP: If you're curious about someone's husbandry practices, PM them. This was plain rude. The idea of learning anything you can, especially with animals you care for, is good. I'm something of an information hoarder myself, but you learn that through lurking and asking specific questions when you need to. Just going out to someone and going "TELL ME YOUR UNCONVENTIONAL METHODS!" doesn't get you too far here, or anywhere for that matter. If you're curious about planted terrariums, ask about planted terrariums. Or start lurking on dart frog and gecko forums for more specific information and build from that. Want to know more about multi-species tanks? Do some research and ask about things that don't make sense to you.

If you're going to respond with moping about how noobs are entitled to information too, knock it off, of course they are. Come up with some questions people can actually answer rather than some post demanding to know someone's entire philosophy and practices on animal care. Books can hardly cover that kind of thing. You're not going to get anything out of this thread, so take a deep breath, use that noggin thing and come up with some material you want to know about. Research research research.

It isn't wrong that you want to learn advanced techniques. Your approach isn't promising

Erica Evans
    Scourge of the San Juan Islands
    High Tide Exotics
    When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.

"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read"

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Valentine Pirate For This Useful Post:

Anatopism (02-07-2013),Badgemash (02-07-2013),Flikky (02-06-2013),Kaorte (02-06-2013),Redneck_Crow (02-06-2013),STjepkes (02-06-2013)

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast