Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,993

1 members and 2,992 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Wilomn...

Thanks
    Just under 2 hours and this thread already has 40 replies.
    Last edited by Andrew21; 02-06-2013 at 12:09 AM.
    Corns:
    0.0.1 Normal; 0.1.0 Amel Motley
    1.0.0 Butter Motley; 0.1.0 Charcoal

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    Whoah that all happened so fast!

Guys. I get that the thread was started for a silly reason, but I believe our OP here does have an okay point. Why don't we share our unconventional husbandry practices? Just because some newb might come across this one thread and make things go terribly wrong? I don't think that is a very good reason to withhold information to people who are more than willing to pick your brain. I am always learning through the practices of others. Sometimes I change my mind about things that I once thought were out of the question.

It is a worthwhile conversation is what I am trying to say. It doesn't belong on this thread and we certaintly don't need to make threads that specifically ask for the advice of one person. That is what PMs are for! If you want to create another thread that is all about people detailing and discussing their husbandry practices, I will gladly participate.

Don't all jump on the new kid all at once. Wilomn is easily misunderstood, we all know this. He has some great things to say that are sometimes masked in sarcasm that some people find offensive. Instead of sitting on the side lines, making fun, or just refusing to answer the OPs other questions, how about we make some suggestions and try to help? Isn't that what this site is about?
    Last edited by Kaorte; 02-06-2013 at 12:25 AM.
    ~Steffe

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

Flikky (02-06-2013),Pyrate81 (02-06-2013),TheSnakeGeek (02-06-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    The reason that people generally give the same advice to noobs is because it's what generally works best for noobs. That doesn't mean there's not other ways to do things, but for someone relatively new at keeping snakes, why start complicating things with methods that might need more tweaking or supervision?

When Wilomn says that there are other ways, it's usually in response to someone stating outright that X should never be done, and only Y is a good method.

So, after you yourself have admitted that you are a noob.... and you have admitted that most of the advice is geared towards noobs... why do you want advanced methods? I'm reminded of the story of the lawnmower repairer who told the owner that he had readjusted the thingymugummie because someone had fiddled with it. The owner asked where the thingymugummie was and the repairer said "Well, if I don't show you where it is, you won't fiddle with it."

I tend to recommend newbie level animals and methods to people who are new at keeping herps. I would strongly discourage a newbie from rushing out to keep venomous, or to attempt to keep multiple snakes in a planted terrarium. It's not good for the animals or the keeper.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Aes_Sidhe (02-06-2013),dr del (02-06-2013),Pyrate81 (02-06-2013),satomi325 (02-06-2013),STjepkes (02-06-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Re: Wilomn...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    So, after you yourself have admitted that you are a noob.... and you have admitted that most of the advice is geared towards noobs... why do you want advanced methods?
    So what you are saying is, because he is new, we should refuse to answer his questions about advanced husbandry.

This seems wrong.
    ~Steffe

Thanks
    How do I progress beyond noob if People don't share some more advanced advice is the point.. Not saying I would jump out and keep 5 snakes in one tank and feed them all live together at once..

I would like more advanced methods and options as maybe your advances method happens to suit my needs and abilities better..

I am guilty of and see others freaking out about keeping "perfect" husbandry with temps and stuff as the way a lot of the basic info gets put to ppl it's like keep these numbers for temps and humidity or your snakes going to die..

I originally decided to get a bp cuz they are easy to care for compared to a lot of reptiles.. Then I came here and i saw a lot of the advice and it honestly made keeping a bp seem way harder then it is.. At least so far..

Also maybe if I fiddle with it I will find something new that I could then offer on here as an option

Thanks
    OK...I kinda gotta give the self proclaimed noob a bit of respect for the above post.....

Im still a noob and definitely am fascinated by "advanced" techniques and learning all I can...then again Im an intellectual sponge and have been since I was born....

House Snakes Addict... Aes_Sidhe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 848 Posts
    UHHH....Ohhhhh...Ahhhhh... *Hiding behind Dan Simons "Hyperion Cantos"*
    Id rather meet Shrike than get involved in this...

CLICK HERE to LIKE The RLReptiles on FACEBOOK

Rafal Lisinski

1.0 Striped African House Snake "Marduk"
    0.1 Striped African House Snake Ishtar
    1.0 black phase Brown House Snake Seth
    0.1 black phase Brown House Snake Nephthys

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    It's the tone of the original post that puts me off.
    The way you call out Wilomn specifically.
    It's such an aggressive and demanding opening statement. Especially since it stemmed off the other thread, in which many were against what Wilomn said. It sounded like it lacked sincerity....

If you wanted advanced husbandry or unconventional care tips, why couldn't you have just asked about it in general in a neutral way? Or PM him a request to write out what his methods and techniques?

I feel that your tone has changed based on the responses you got....

-----

Anyway, the way you evolve from noob to knowledgeable is through experience. The specs in the care sheet and the regurgitated advice are guidelines. It's just easier for newbies with no knowledge to follow that type of consistent guidelines.
    Think of a math problem. There is a given equation, but there can be several ways to solve it. There can be easier or harder techniques to apply to solving that problem.

You need to figure out what works for you and what keeps your snakes health and thriving. Some keepers prefer using an ambient temp of 85 with no hot spot for their BPs. Others prefer 80 ambient with 90 degree hot spot. Personally, I have 75 ambient with an 88 hot spot. Some people use paper towel substrate, others use mulch. There is no set way. It's just what works for you and your animals.

In my mind, advanced husbandry would be an accurate naturalistic terrarium that imitates Africa with a micro-habitat/climate and light cycle.
    Rack systems and basic tanks are simplistic....

I mean seriously, how 'advanced' can plastic Tupperware in a rack get? You just need to fulfill a few requirements to keep a snake thriving (consistent temps, humidity, space, hide, food, water, etc etc). People go from tanks to tubs because it's easier.
    Last edited by satomi325; 02-06-2013 at 01:31 AM.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Badgemash (02-07-2013),DooLittle (02-06-2013),Flikky (02-06-2013),Kaorte (02-06-2013),STjepkes (02-06-2013),TheSnakeGeek (02-06-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Re: Wilomn...

Quote Originally Posted by satomi325 View Post
    Think of a math problem. There is a given equation, but there can be several ways to solve it. There can be easier or harder techniques to apply to solving that problem.

Actually, a better example would be cooking.
    When you first learn how to cook, you follow a recipe word for word. As you gain experience, you find that you don't have to follow the recipe word for word and can add your own flare to it. You can replace certain ingredients and different amounts of it to still gain a similar final result.
    Last edited by satomi325; 02-06-2013 at 01:41 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Ashleigh91 (02-22-2013),Kaorte (02-06-2013)

Thanks
    So my first line was aggressive ok I'll give u that.. If u look at the rest how my tone has been any diff.. I said I wasn't trying to start anything with him and I didn't want to hijacks the other thread which is why I made this one..

It seems to have gotton some interest starting the thread like I did no? Apparently it hasnt gotton his attention yet but I'm really not nor was I ever trying to get into a fight on the interwebza. Just a discussion, I even asked other member for info on things they might do outside the box. Yet the thread was still directed towards him..

It amazes me how everyone assumes your being aggressive or attacking when your simply trying to get a legitimate answer for a question that was answered with a bit of an condescending attitude..

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast