Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,371

4 members and 3,367 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
    Thanks

Need help with rescue python

Hi Everyone,
    I am new to this forum. In the last 2 weeks I have become the guardian of two ball pythons. I have never owned a snake but I am a vet tech and have several years experience working in pet stores when I was young so I do have experience handling and caring for ball pythons.

Snake #1 is a large "male". He belonged to my daughter's boyfriend who is a candidate for a double lung and liver transplant in the very near future. Because he will be permanently immune suppressed he was advised to give up his snake. This snake is 20 years old, large and appears to be thriving. He came with a nice large custom made enclosure and has had the best of care.

Snake #2 is a tiny "female". And when I say tiny....she is 8 years old, maybe 18 inches long and maybe 3 inches in diameter. One of my husbands co-workers heard that we were getting the above snake and asked if we would take this one because her husband ignored it and she felt was not feeding it enough. They had it since it was a baby and she felt that he never paid enough attention to it or fed it enough.
    This snake does not seem nearly as healthy as the other one. We have them housed separately of course. "She" is active enough and is moving from her warm hide box to her cool hide box etc. She is shedding, but in pieces. They say she has a good appetite. I assume at this point she will never grow any bigger, but I would love pointers on what I can do to help her be healthier other than feeding her more regularly and providing the right habitat... Does any one have any suggestions on how to build up this snakes vitality?

Thank you all so much for your time.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Need help with rescue python

to the site.

It sounds as though her humidity is a little low.

Have a look at the bad shed sticky.

I'd also ease her into feeding more often by using small regular meals for a while rather than just feeding larger meals.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.