Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,137

2 members and 3,135 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: What is a good quality camera??

I use a Canon Powershot SX160 that cost just under $200. I use it mainly for recording live concerts but it takes really good pictures too since it has an awesome macro setting as well as 16x zoom.

FB: https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile....00001688532105
    Upcoming concerts:
    October 10: KoRn
    October 11 - Bon Jovi
    October 19: Death Angel
    October 26 - Avenged Sevenfold, Deftones, Ghost
    October 28: Slayer
    November 8 - Nine Inch Nails
    November 15 - Kreator, Overkill, Warbringer
    November 27: In This Moment
    -Misael

Thanks

First and foremost establish your budget. Once you have that range determined, than decide how much you plan to use it? Is it just for your snakes or are you planning on using for all of your other photos too? There are some great point and shoot style cameras that are typically less expensive, smaller, easier to handle and less confusing to learn. If you are more serious and have the budget, a DSLR gives you more options for lenses and have more features. Personally I like Nikon however Canon, Sony make great DSLR's as well. Do some research, go to a camera store and try some out. Craigslist is also a great place to find great deals on slightly used DSLR's, often you can find deals on mid - high end DSLR's, lenses, etc...

http://bythom.com is a great website with a ton of information and reviews - it is very Nikon based however, he does have a section on "other cameras" as well. In addition to reviews, there is a ton of great information on this site.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you get!

Thanks
    I am not a top breeder, but am an artist and I have to take high quality, detailed photos of my work... I use a Canon T2i Rebel DSLR camera. I love it.
    Kimbly

Pastel 'Cami' Mojave 'Tank'
    Kingpin 'Cleo'
    KillerBee 'Buzz'
    Pied 'Patches'
    Lesser 'Lieutenant Dan'
    Mojave 'Lyla'
    Het Pied 'Norm'
    2 Normals 'Audrey' and 'Girl'
    Fire 'Smokey'
    Black Pastel '#3'
    Normal 'Slim Shady'
    Butter

Sassy and Reilly, our furry girls

Gabrielle,
    Brynn, Samuel - our human kids

BPnet Senior Member Solarsoldier001's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 785 Posts

What is a good quality camera??

I have a canon dslr rebel t3 I love it too

Sent from iPhone 5 using tapatalk
    Boys:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pewter - Dexter | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Butters | Super Fire - Mr. Buttons | Mystic - Charming | Banana Enchi Woma - Gizmo |
    Girls:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pinstripe - Honey | Mojave - Maya | Lesser - Pepper | Calico 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Jewel | Normal 100% Het Pied - Hinata | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Aurora | Spider 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Betsy | Blue Eye Leustic 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Snowflake | Spinner Blast - Jasmin | Butterbee - Ariel | Hypo Butter - Penelope |

Thanks
    I like Nikon's DSLR's, but I prefer Canon's point-and-shoots.

My mom has a Canon Rebel XTi. I hate it. Absolutely horrible in anything besides bright, natural lighting. It's ridiculous how much I have to tweak everything in photoshop to make a photo look decent. Even with bright studio lights RIGHT ON TOP of my subject, the camera is like, "lolwat?"
    To make this camera worth taking pics with, she'd have to spend an arm and a leg on lenses. She does have two lenses for it (I think she paid around $2,000 for all of her camera stuff). Absolutely NOT worth it.

I was playing with my friend's lower-end Nikon, and I was messing with it in a Denny's at night. BLEW the Canon OUT OF THE WATER in that respect. (And no, he didn't have any special lenses for it).

Whenever I can get one, I'm going to be getting a Nikon D3100. The price should drop pretty significantly, considering they're coming out with the D3200 (very minor changes - insignificant for my needs).

I also have a Canon Powershot. I do like that camera. Shoots HD video and it's convenient to take everywhere with me. It was cheap and it takes good photos.

Canon Rebel XTi Photo, outside in natural lighting. (The only time it can take good photos).

Then here's photos outside of the natural light setting.
    Almost all of these had to be edited out the wazoo to make them look decent.

Here's some photos from my Canon Powershot.

Natural lighting from just my window.

Natural light, outside.

Macro setting

Indoor (store) lighting.
    Walgreens

Petco

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Konotashi For This Useful Post:

satomi325 (06-13-2013)

Thanks
    I'm not even an established breeder yet, but I adore my Canon Rebel t4i for taking pictures. It's a pricey camera, so if you need something a little less costly I'd go for one of the Canon Powershots!

These are Canon Rebel t4i Shots

Prymal Reptiles
    Corn Snakes
    1.0 Tessera (h. amel/ultra)
    1.0 Inferno
    0.1 Extreme Okeetee Phase (ph. amel/sunkissed)
    Constrictors
    0.1 Butter Ball Python
    0.1 Firefly Ball Python
    1.0 Sulfur Ball Python
    Other Herps

1.1 Red-Eyed Crocodile Skinks
    1.0 Hypo Citrus Bearded Dragon (ph. trans)
    1.0 Red Stripe Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Red-Eyed Tree Frog
    0.1 Black Red-Eyed Tree Frog
    0.0.1 Xanthic Red-Eyed Tree Frog

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PrymalReptiles View Post
    Amazing shot! Cute froggy!
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts
    1) it's not always about the camera, but more about the photography. You can get great pictures with a crap camera as long as you can control the amount of ambient light around you

2) Defining a budget (as has been said) willl help many people guide you into what can be had at best bang for your specific buck. You don't need a $3,500 Canon 5D MK III, but they are wonderful if you have the cash to spend on them. At the same time, if you spent 546 on the Nikon 3200 (it's been out a while now and currently has a 150 usd rebate from nikon instantly www.bhphoto.com) but your budget is 1500, you would've been worlds better going ahead and picking up a D7000 body only plus the Nikkor 105mm Macro lens used which would keep you in that budget pretty easily, and do AMAZING results easier. If you're looking around $200 mark, things will get a little bit pickier . . . but many of the Canon Powershot series will serve you very well - again fairly dependant on available light, and forget about the flash unless you make a homemade diffuser.

3) DSLR are upgradable. When you buy a pointand shoot, you will eventually throw it away. A DSLR, however, gives you the options to continually upgrade your lenses, which the lenses will almost always hold SOME, and many most, of its original value when you buy nice lenses - its an investment, not just a purchase. The DSLR Body, however, will be upgraded constantly. I went from a Nikon D70 to D200 to D7000, then started hitting wildlife photography hard and switched to canon mid game and purhcased a Canon 7D (current back up) and not too far back a Canon 5D MK II (current main body - exceptional quality). But my nikon glass was worth nearly its original value, and all my canon glass (lenses) are worth their original value or higher for stuff like my 500mm F4 IS L for wildlife. So if you can buy quality, its lenses are always an investment, but Bodies are pretty much disposible.

4) Post processing is part of the digital game. You need to get a good program like Lightroom 5 (just released) to master your files. If you get a DSLR shooting in the RAW format will help you conserve shadows and highlites.

Ok thats enough . . . end rant
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to reptileexperts For This Useful Post:

kitedemon (06-13-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts

The best camera is the one you like and understand how to use. If it is too big, small,heavy, light, complex, or basic you will not want to use it. They always end up in the bag unused.

My advise is make a list of what you want do some research and find a few that fit your needs and budget. When you get it down to a couple download and read the manuals then put it in your hands having a general idea of how it works will help in the store. Often people become over whelmed and are more open to up selling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    The best camera is the one you like and understand how to use. If it is too big, small,heavy, light, complex, or basic you will not want to use it. They always end up in the bag unused.

My advise is make a list of what you want do some research and find a few that fit your needs and budget. When you get it down to a couple download and read the manuals then put it in your hands having a general idea of how it works will help in the store. Often people become over whelmed and are more open to up selling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The best camera, is the one you have with you ~ Chase Jarvis
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to reptileexperts For This Useful Post:

STjepkes (06-13-2013)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast