Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,007

0 members and 1,007 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,122
Threads: 248,563
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SyHy4455
    Thanks

I got lucky with my first escape...

Silly me forgot to replace Loki's locks on his cage when he was fed (or attempted)

I stayed with a friend Thursday night, the snakes were fed wednesday. I refilled water dishes last night. Didn't notice missing locks.

Today I chose to do my laundry, meaning I had to hang my shirts up. When i went to grab my hangers, I look down at my shelf, which has a garbage bag of clothes for goodwill. Surprise! Snake, in part of bag, escaping through a hole.

I feel awful too, because my bearded dragon was really stressed and has his whole belly covered in stress marks, complete with black beard. I feel awful because I didn't notice my snake was missing for who knows how long.

Tomorrow I am going to buy reallllly good locks. I misplaced the pins I had originally. I have him in a large shoebox, with three bungee cords wrapped around (length and width) and all of my textbooks weighing down his lid.

Last thought: reccomendation for a tank setup lock wise? The balls will be moved to a rack system eventually (next year probably) and will be locked down.
    1.1 Normal Het Pied (Loki & Sigyn)

2.1 Bearded dragons (Uther & Spike & Jasmine)

Thanks
    It happens.. My female is always, always looking for a way out. The one time I closed and "locked" her cage but didn't quite get it right she choose to make a break for it. Got a painiced phone call from my roommate asking if I had her with me since he is terrified of snakes.

Cut forward to mad rush home from work to search for her and finding my roommate literally locked in his room on top of his bed. After searching for awhile I ended up finding a Tokay Gecko that had somehow found his way into my house and decided to take up residence behind the couch. To this day we have no idea who he belonged to, how he got there or how long he had been living there. A few days later my female bp popped her head out from under the tv stand and was promptly returned to her cage.

She hasn't escaped again yet- but every cleaning and feeding day she makes another attempt.

As for recommendations on the tank top locks- I kept losing or breaking those plastic pins that come with them and found the small nails work much better.
    Last edited by Weapon-x; 02-06-2013 at 08:33 PM.
    1.0 Coral Glow Blade Clown
    0.8 Het Clown
    0.1 Pastel Het Clown
    0.1 Pastel Pied
    1.1 Hypo BEL (Mojave/Lesser)
    1.0 VPI Axanthic
    1.0 Fire VPI Axanthic
    0.3 Het VPI Axanthic
    1.0 Leopard Blade
    0.1 Super Blade
    1.0 Coral Glow Yellow Belly
    2.0 Pied
    0.3 Het Pied
    0.1 Super Pastel Yellowbelly Brite
    0.1 Sulfur
    0.1 Black Butter het Ghost
    1.0 TCR Special
    0.10 Dinkers
    1.1 Siberian Husky

Thanks

Re: I got lucky with my first escape...

At least you found him! Weird that he got out with so much weighing down his lid/tied up to keep him in. Usually that much weight on the lid should be enough to keep them in, especially if it's a snake small enough to be kept in a shoebox.

-Jen
    LLLReptile and Supply Company, Inc -- Your one stop herp shops online, and retail stores in Southern California!
    Check us out on facebook - www.facebook.com/LLLReptile
    For questions about products or animals, or customer service questions, please call our toll free number at 888-547-3784.

Thanks
    I was very lucky with my first escape as well.

I didn't even realize she was out until I went upstairs to do my homework and she was just sitting there on my desk.
    0.1 Normal Ball Python - Athena
    1.0 American Leatherback Bearded Dragon - Ares

Thanks

Re: I got lucky with my first escape...

I have a houdini as well. My big male found a way to push his sliding lid open on more than one occasion (he is no longer housed in that cage lol). A couple of times I found him soon after before he'd had a chance to go hide. But one time he was able to hide from me for 5 weeks. I was convinced that he had managed to escape my apartment until I found him out of hiding, crawling through my apartment in the middle of the night. He was pretty dehydrated but otherwise OK.

This one is always looking to escape and just when I think I have him secure, he will prove me wrong.