Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,863

1 members and 3,862 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Night heating

Thanks

Night heating

So I just went to the store to buy some heat lamp bulbs for my 2 bp's. They both have a 20g long tank. they also both have a heating pad under their tanks. One of the workers there started talking to me and said she has had bp's for 17yrs. She was telling me that since they have heating pads to only use the day heat lamps during the day and shut them off at night, and to not use the night heating lights. So the bp can cool down like in the wild. So if they need heat to go to the pad or cool down away from it. So just curious if anyone does this or if anyone could chime in with advice.
    Thanks
    Christian

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    There is no reason to do this. We give the snakes hot sides and cool sides so that they can choose what temperature they want to be.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

Night heating

If the tank is properly set up, with the under tank heater plugged into a thermostat to control the hot side temperature, you shouldn't need to do that. You need a thermostat to control the under tank heater otherwise it can and will burn your snake. You then need a digital probed thermometer and hygrometer to monitor the surface temp of the hot side where the under tank heater is, and the cool side (ambient air temp), and to monitor the humidity.

If the required hot side, cool side, and humidity can not be maintained in the tank with an open screen lid then cover most of the lid with foil. Leave just about an once or so on one end for ventilation to start until you know how much you need covered.

If this still doesn't work, you may need to supplement with a low wattage heat lamp but still keep the rest of the screen covered where the lamp is not at.

Please look at the care sheet on here for more info.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    No you don't need to drop the ambient temps over night. They usually do anyway on their own. There is a difference between surface temps and mbient temps heat pds basically only control surface temps lamps with effect both. You need to provide a warm spot (around 90º) cool spot (around 80º) and ambient air temps between 77-83 (max low of 75 and high of 86º) if you need day and night lamps to do this use them if you don't need lamps you don't need to. The answer will be found in your temps.

Thanks

Re: Night heating

Thank you for the quick responces. I think ill stick to what I've been doing. I've had them for about a year and a half and have had no problems with what I've been doing. I have been using day and night lamps. Having a hot and cold side. I was just curious about her method.

Christian

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    If your snake is eating fine and is healthy your husbandry is fine there is no need to change it unless you have a reason.