Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,143

0 members and 3,143 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

BP Shed gone Bad!!!! Any help appreciated!

so the last week i recongized the signs of my BP beginning to shed, the first time since i brought her home, and i began to bump up her humidity as i was told would help with the shed. i also gave her warm baths several times since i saw that her eyes had cleared up. today i get home and i see some shed peeking out of her hide so i removed the hide to see it and found several pieces of shed and the rest was stuck on her. i know this is not normal and i pannicked. she's my first ball python and ive done a lot of research and talked to my local reptile expert and was told it should come off all as one piece like my boa's sheds. the eye pieces had come off completely by the way, on one of the pieces of shed i found in the tank. so i pulled her out and started soaking her in warm water. after she sat and soaked for bout 10 minutes i began to do the only thing i could think to do, slowly massage the shed where it appeared to be stuck and try to work it down. i did not squeeze her at all, just rubbed with my fingers, working it down her body. she sat almost completely still while i did this and at the point when i had gotten it about halfway down her body she pooped and peed.. i dont know if this was because i was rubbing her or just because it was her time to do that she ate bout a week ago and had already taken a small poop but i know she hadn't gotten all of the mouse out of her system yet. so that freaked me out of course but i didnt give up i was able to get the rest of the shed off without problem and promptly put her back in her terrarium where she has been basking since... i am concerned about why she didnt shed in one piece, and i almost forgot to tell you, she has mites.. i discovered the day after i brought her home that she did and just got a dust that my reptile expert said she has used when she rescued snakes that had mites. any kind of thoughts on this would be so appreciated, im still worried about her!!!
    by the way, I'm Jasmine and tonight is my first night on the forum.

Thanks

so the last week i recongized the signs of my BP beginning to shed, the first time since i brought her home, and i began to bump up her humidity as i was told would help with the shed. i also gave her warm baths several times since i saw that her eyes had cleared up. today i get home and i see some shed peeking out of her hide so i removed the hide to see it and found several pieces of shed and the rest was stuck on her. i know this is not normal and i pannicked. she's my first ball python and ive done a lot of research and talked to my local reptile expert and was told it should come off all as one piece like my boa's sheds. the eye pieces had come off completely by the way, on one of the pieces of shed i found in the tank. so i pulled her out and started soaking her in warm water. after she sat and soaked for bout 10 minutes i began to do the only thing i could think to do, slowly massage the shed where it appeared to be stuck and try to work it down. i did not squeeze her at all, just rubbed with my fingers, working it down her body. she sat almost completely still while i did this and at the point when i had gotten it about halfway down her body she pooped and peed.. i dont know if this was because i was rubbing her or just because it was her time to do that she ate bout a week ago and had already taken a small poop but i know she hadn't gotten all of the mouse out of her system yet. so that freaked me out of course but i didnt give up i was able to get the rest of the shed off without problem and promptly put her back in her terrarium where she has been basking since... i am concerned about why she didnt shed in one piece, and i almost forgot to tell you, she has mites.. i discovered the day after i brought her home that she did and just got a dust that my reptile expert said she has used when she rescued snakes that had mites. any kind of thoughts on this would be so appreciated, im still worried about her!!!
    by the way, I'm Jasmine and tonight is my first night on the forum.

Thanks
    if it comes off in pieces there is a very good chance your humidity is too low.

dont rub it off to the point of irritation....give her a chance to get it off herself once you raise the humidity.

mites ill leave a mite expert to answer...

Thanks

Re: BP Shed gone Bad!!!! Any help appreciated!

well i did get all the shed off, she didnt appear irrated she didnt hiss or strike, just laid in my hands and moved around occasionally like she does when i pull her out and she's asleep..
    she appears to be okay as of now, just basking under her night light like she does normally..

Thanks

how high should her humidity be when shedding? ive been doing my best to keep it at 70 because thats what i read when i did my research. i had been gone for several hours tho and came home and found her to have shed some off. before i left i has wet down the bark in the bottom of the terrarium really well but the humidity was down to 50 when i got back

Thanks

Bathing her before she actually shed was where you went wrong if your humidity was correct. Snakes produce natural oils that help them shed and when you bathed her, you effectively washed them away. The only time you should bathe a ball python is AFTER a bad shed. The proper humidity level at shed time is 60% or higher. You shouldn't be soaking substrate to keep humidity up, misting is okay though. Try cover most of the tank with aluminum foil to trap the humidity in if you can't seem to keep it high enough.

1.0 '12 Cinnamon (Monty)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mercerasian For This Useful Post:

nimblykimbly (01-21-2013),reptilelove18 (01-21-2013)

Thanks

Mites can cause bad shed

Also no need to soak before shedding. As long as the humidity is fine, the shed should be good. Soaking before shedding can wash away some helpful oils and can actually lead to bad sheds. I feel like the mites + the soaking before shed is why she had a bad shed.

Finally, no need to post the same thread in 19 different areas. Once is fine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mercerasian View Post
    Bathing her before she actually shed was where you went wrong if your humidity was correct. Snakes produce natural oils that help them shed and when you bathed her, you effectively washed them away. The only time you should bathe a ball python is AFTER a bad shed. The proper humidity level at shed time is 60% or higher. You shouldn't be soaking substrate to keep humidity up, misting is okay though. Try cover most of the tank with aluminum foil to trap the humidity in if you can't seem to keep it high enough.
    alright thank you for the help! i mist the substrate to keep humidity up and i will try the aluminum foil to keep the humidity in. i will not be bathing her before her shed again, thanks for letting me know
    Jasmine~Passionate Reptile Owner~
    0.1 Ball Python- Onyx, 0.1 Rosy Boa- Amber ,1.0 Cat- Lyle
    RIP Pablo-my little chameleon love

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    Soaking a BP dries out their skin, and can lead to a bad shed. you should only soak a BP if the snake has already had a bad shed and you need to get the pieces off.

That said a bad shed was probably unavoidable since your BP has mites. Stress can also lead to a bad shed, and mites will certainly stress a BP out.

Can you give us more details on what you are doing to treat the mites?
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

reptilelove18 (01-21-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 689 Posts
    Humidity should be around 70% for shedding. More than likely the issue was caused by bathing her prior to a shed. Soaking before a shed removes the naturally ooccurring oils that helps the snake shed (so I have read).

The only time (pertaining to shedding) you should soak a bp is after they have a bad shed, to help soften the remaining stuck shed.

I'm sure the deification and urination was due to a warm bath and massage.

Welcome to bp.net!

Edit: evidently I type slow on my phone! Ooh well
    Last edited by RoseyReps; 01-21-2013 at 03:32 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RoseyReps For This Useful Post:

reptilelove18 (01-21-2013)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast