My beloved dog Roxy was put to sleep today...

Back in October, she had a massive malignant tumor removed along with her spleen. For the last three months she lived happily and was doted on even more so. She was the most energetic I have ever seen her in the 9 years of having her.

Last week, we suddenly saw that she had become lethargic and weak. Then on some days she would bounce back as if nothing happened. I brought her to the vet on Wednesday. The prognosis was bad. Her xrays indicated that several more tumors have appeared through her body. The doctor did a blood count and ultra sound on Thursday. We found out that she was bleeding out internally and that explains why she suddenly seemed bigger in the chest. Another surgery and she would have no chance.

We asked the doctor if we could take her home one last time so that she knows we are not abandoning her. He advised against it. She was too weak and if we brought her home to live out her time, she would have suffered.

This morning, I and 7 member of my family came to bid farewell to Roxy. Because she was on pain meds and on Iv, she seemed extremely peppy and was excited to go home. That was the most heart wrenching part....

When it was finally time I held her, stroked and pet her as the doctor put her to sleep. In all these 9 years, not once have I heard her bark. We'll never know how you sound. :-(

Goodbye Roxy. Thank you for brightening up our lives. Thank you for loving this family unconditionally. We miss you and know you are wagging your tail from heaven.