Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,223

0 members and 3,223 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

PACMAN Terrariums

I've been considering getting my first amphibian, a pacman frog. Likely to be an albino or a fantasy because they are beautiful and inexpensive.(Compared to my ball pythons) I've been doing research all day and these guys look to be pretty easy to take care of. I want to set up a 10 gallon planted vivarium. Does anyone have pics of their pacman homes? Also, do you heat them? If so, how? I want to put together something beautiful with plants a low output UV light. Show me those froggies!
    TheSnakeGuy

- Python Regius -
    1.0 Spider Mojave - "Tweak"
    0.1 Mystic Pastel - "Oracle"

Wish List . . . .someday
    Lavender Albino Pied(Dreamsicle) Ball Python
    2. Albino Burmese Python
    3. Mystic Potion Ball Python(Breeders)

Thanks
    There is a member here named mikesphatfrogs. He breeds pacmans and has been posting some truly amazing pics of his froggies! I would pm him, he would know everything you need to know. Good luck and let us know what you go with!
    God Bless http://www.iherp.com/elbee
    _____
    1.0 Pastel, 1.0 Albino, 1.0 Piebald, 1.0 Pastel Butter Spotnose
    0.1 Het pied, 0.1 Pewter, 0.1 Super Pastel, 0.1 Champagne, 0.1 BEL, 0.1 Pastel Leopard
    1.1 Thayeri Kingsnake
    1.0 Hog Island Boa
    0.2 Western Hognose (normal and purple line albino)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to elbee For This Useful Post:

TheSnakeGuy (01-13-2013)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: PACMAN Terrariums

Quote Originally Posted by TheSnakeGuy View Post
    I've been considering getting my first amphibian, a pacman frog. Likely to be an albino or a fantasy because they are beautiful and inexpensive.(Compared to my ball pythons) I've been doing research all day and these guys look to be pretty easy to take care of. I want to set up a 10 gallon planted vivarium. Does anyone have pics of their pacman homes? Also, do you heat them? If so, how? I want to put together something beautiful with plants a low output UV light. Show me those froggies!
    Pacman are very easy to care for and their setup is very basic, a 10 gallons tank with coconut fiber bedding kept moist is all that's needed. As far as heat it will depend where you keep your frog and what the ambient temp is. Your frog may or may not require supplemental heat, mine is kept in my snake room and I do not use additional heat since my snake room is kept around 78 degrees or more depending on the time of the year.

That when I first got this frog

And this is recently (This frog is 2 years old now)

Enclosure.

An idea on how moist the substrate is being kept.

And FYI this is a good caresheet http://www.frogforum.net/care-sheet-...ubmission.html
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 01-13-2013 at 10:52 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Argentra (01-13-2013),elbee (01-13-2013),TheSnakeGuy (01-13-2013)

Thanks
    Oh yes, frogforum.net is a great site. My White's tree frog is even featured in the care sheet and was in the first calendar (I tell him he is famous). Lol.
    Deborah, your froggie is so adorable! I don't know too much about pacman color morphs, what is yours?
    _____
    0.1 Het pied, 0.1 Pewter, 0.1 Super Pastel, 0.1 Champagne, 0.1 BEL, 0.1 Pastel Leopard
    1.1 Thayeri Kingsnake
    1.0 Hog Island Boa

Thanks

Great info and a nice looking 'bino. Is that a male or female? Do you use a water bowl or just keep it pretty wet? I think I'll fill a 10 gallon with artificial plants instead of messing with UV light. My room temp goes anywhere from 67-75 so I'm thinking I'll put a 4x6/5x7 heat pad on the back wall of the tank to keep temps up. I read that since they burrow it can be dangerous to put the mat under the tank. I plan to cover the top with an all glass aquarium cover to keep in humidity. I'll get to work on it this week. Now I just have to decide where to get my little guy from.
    TheSnakeGuy

- Python Regius -

Wish List . . . .someday
    2. Albino Burmese Python

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elbee View Post
    Deborah, your froggie is so adorable! I don't know too much about pacman color morphs, what is yours?
    Thanks, it is an albino pacman frog, cool little critter and great beginner frog.

Great info and a nice looking 'bino. Is that a male or female?
    Thanks, it is a female.

Do you use a water bowl or just keep it pretty wet?
    I do not use a water bowl, I only keep the substrate very wet.

I think I'll fill a 10 gallon with artificial plants instead of messing with UV light.
    Sounds like a good idea.

My room temp goes anywhere from 67-75 so I'm thinking I'll put a 4x6/5x7 heat pad on the back wall of the tank to keep temps up. I read that since they burrow it can be dangerous to put the mat under the tank. I plan to cover the top with an all glass aquarium cover to keep in humidity.
    They do burrow that is pretty much how their life is spent , however a heat pad on the side will likely not help, remember that heat travels up and not from side to side so I would suggest a heat pad at the bottom to minimize heat loss, and like with any heat source it has to be controlled either with a thermostat or a dimmer.

A small pad like this http://www.reptilebasics.com/ultrath...ater-uth-6-x11 at the bottom (best on the market IMO) and a dimmer like this http://www.lowes.com/pd_70717-539-TT...mer&facetInfo= and you will be in business.

[/COLOR] I'll get to work on it this week. Now I just have to decide where to get my little guy from.[/QUOTE]You can pick up pacmans at show or online starting at about $25 depending on the mutation. (Albino will run you about $25).
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

The dimmer is a great idea. And way cheaper than another Tstat. But when you have 2-3 inches of wet coco-fiber where do you measure the temp from? Is it more important for the middle of the substrate to be 80ish degrees or the air above it? I've never dealt with a "full time burrower." I guess I could turn on the UTH with nothing else in the tank and have a thermometer inside on the glass and adjust until it's around 85. The temp above it would then be a little lower and providing good humidity. What do y'all think of this idea?
    TheSnakeGuy

- Python Regius -

Wish List . . . .someday
    2. Albino Burmese Python

Thanks
    An undertank heater/pad will work and you can use a night time blue/purple heat bulb also. Place the heat towards one side of the tank. Water dish in the middle. 2 inches of coco would be enough.

www.mikesphatfrogs.com (You can view my pacman frogs and colors) :-)
    Sent from my LG-C800 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Thanks, it is an albino pacman frog, cool little critter and great beginner frog.
    I thought is was albino but then the orange coming through on her adult pic made me wonder if it was something else. Been seeing so many cool new morphs lately. Very pretty frog! I like chunkyness!
    _____
    1.1 Thayeri Kingsnake
    1.0 Hog Island Boa

Thanks
    Aww, cut it out guys! You're making me want to try again with these guys.

I always loved them, but hadn't done any real research when, while working at the evil Petsmart, I was litterally handed one. Basically, they had just gotten the little guy (about quarter size) when the MIL had moved in for medical reasons and threatened to release it if they didn't get rid of it...in CO. So, since PS can't take in animals but the employees could...
    I did the basic research and had a really nice tank setup with good temps and everything...but what I hadn't learned was that these guys can get 'stuck' in their sheds. I also didn't learn that they do not hibernate...which is what I thought he was doing. Needless to say, I learned too late to save him.

But I know better now...and I really love these big guys. I just can't get any new animals for a while since I'm getting a service dog. But all this talk is tempting me!
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'