Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,251

1 members and 3,250 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,184 Posts
    I was talking about loonunit losing sales because she wouldn't ship. I was only implying that the person that didn't buy from her might have been angry about it.

I don't think anyone here is upset.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Re: Shipping in cold weather.

Quote Originally Posted by 3skulls View Post
    I was talking about loonunit losing sales because she wouldn't ship. I was only implying that the person that didn't buy from her might have been angry about it.

I don't think anyone here is upset.
    Oh okay, gotcha. I wasn't sure who you were talking to.

Just read through this thread: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...g+cold+weather
    ~Steffe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

3skulls (01-13-2013)

Thanks
    Yeah I don't know why my post showed up way after.

That link is an awesome read. Lots of good info there.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 3skulls For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (01-14-2013)

Thanks
    Here is another one regarding cold weather shipping: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...g+cold+weather
    ~Steffe

Thanks
    Our 38F temp cutoff at SYR is based on daytime highs, and is set to give MOST folks the best chance of success.

Breeders ship in colder temps all the time, it just becomes more difficult, and negative consequences can be dire.

I rarely use more than one heat pack in a 16x16x8 or smaller box. Consider using a 72 hour heat pack during the winter, for longer temp coverage.

I WILL use double insulation in a winter shipping box during really cold temps. It isn't about keeping your box hot with heat packs, it is more about keeping your box temperate, neither hot nor cold, during transport. If you manage that, your reptile should be fine.

Dropping off late at the facility also helps, as does shipping direct to a FedEx facility, hold for pickup, as the package will arrive first thing in the morning, and not be exposed to any time on the delivery truck.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Robyn@SYR For This Useful Post:

loonunit (01-14-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn@SYR View Post
    Our 38F temp cutoff at SYR is based on daytime highs, and is set to give MOST folks the best chance of success.

Breeders ship in colder temps all the time, it just becomes more difficult, and negative consequences can be dire.

I rarely use more than one heat pack in a 16x16x8 or smaller box. Consider using a 72 hour heat pack during the winter, for longer temp coverage.

I WILL use double insulation in a winter shipping box during really cold temps. It isn't about keeping your box hot with heat packs, it is more about keeping your box temperate, neither hot nor cold, during transport. If you manage that, your reptile should be fine.

Dropping off late at the facility also helps, as does shipping direct to a FedEx facility, hold for pickup, as the package will arrive first thing in the morning, and not be exposed to any time on the delivery truck.
    I was hoping you'd chime in, so thanks!!

We are planning using a 16x16x8 with two heat packs, shipping at 8:30pm to my fedex hub here in Chicago where I will pick up around noon. I'm under the impression that if you ship hub to hub, there is very little time spent exposed to the elements, am I correct? Do you think I should only use one heat pack? He is shipping two adult normals to me.
    ~Steffe

Temporarily Banned
    Thanks
    Good luck with your shipment. I wasn't criticizing you but referring to the other poster mentioning others complaining about not getting animals shipped in the winter months. I know situations like yours happen and I'm glad your looking out for the interest of the animals and not coming back here after something went wrong asking why. Robyn is probably one of the best people to advise you on the subject of shipping in any weather condition.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HerpIsAhobby For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (01-14-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    Here's the trick I use that we learned from Monica Foschi when she shipped to us back a couple years ago.
    I still thank her for teaching me this ... Thanks Monica!

We package ours similar to outback with one major exception, we do not use newspaper for filler.
    We Use pillow fiber filling for insulation in the box, not paper, this allows the heat to go throughout the box preventing the cold spots that newspaper does cause.

We have shipped many packages to the opposite coast to 35 degree temps and had snakes show up perfectly warm everytime
    Jerry Robertson

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snakesRkewl For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (01-14-2013),loonunit (01-14-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
    Here's the trick I use that we learned from Monica Foschi when she shipped to us back a couple years ago.
    I still thank her for teaching me this ... Thanks Monica!

We package ours similar to outback with one major exception, we do not use newspaper for filler.
    We Use pillow fiber filling for insulation in the box, not paper, this allows the heat to go throughout the box preventing the cold spots that newspaper does cause.

We have shipped many packages to the opposite coast to 35 degree temps and had snakes show up perfectly warm everytime
    Thanks for the tip! Monica and I talk a lot since we live very close, so she was one of the first people I contacted about cold weather shipping. She did suggest using the polyester fill.

I'm feeling pretty confident. We won't be shipping them until next week at the earliest, so I'm hoping there is a nice warm spell before Feb 1. If not...we will pick the warmest day and hope for the best. It looks like the only major problems either come from incorrect packaging or a big mix-up on the Fedex end.
    ~Steffe

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

snakesRkewl (01-14-2013)

Thanks
    Good luck! Keep us updated and let us know the method used.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast