Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,108

1 members and 1,107 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,122
Threads: 248,564
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SyHy4455
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member CD CONSTRICTORS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 658 Posts

Incubator tub humidity?

I have had my incubator running for a few months now and all is just fine operationally with my Herpstat 1 and a remote temp indicator on a higher shelf.

I just figured I would check the Vermiculite/Perlite mixture yesterday. It had dried up a touch, but there was still slight condendsation on the tub walls... Stelite 6qt tubs w/ snap on lids- not locking lids. I decided to "juice up" the mixture till there was ~1/4" of free water on the bottom of the tubs. I put a cheapie Hygrometer in one tub on the top shelf and one tub on the bottom shelf. They are both currently showing 88-90% humidity. The fan is on a rheostat and currently running at ~1/2 speed.

Is this humidity high enough?? Should I use press-n-seal??

Pics for reference (before I added water yesterday):

A nice steady 88.5F by the Herpstat w/ second remote monitor one shelf higher than the Herpstat sensor indicating within 0.5F and showing incubator (not tub) humidity:

Last edited by CD CONSTRICTORS; 01-11-2013 at 04:07 PM.

Ohio but looking to relocate grrrr new laws!
    Thanks

Re: Incubator tub humidity?

Looks good to me. Honestly I think we all tend to over think some of this stuff. They hatch in the wild under much worse conditions. I know we want everything to be as perfect as we can get them but where do we draw the line? Not trying to pick on you please don't take that the wrong way. Just kind of thinking out loud.
    Come see what's new with us at https://www.facebook.com/BFEPetsandSupply

Happy Herping!!!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BFE Pets For This Useful Post:

Meredithm115 (04-13-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    I forget which breeding guide but I like how they put it.

It was something to the effect of: "People tend to spend way too much time and energy fretting over the perfection of the incubation process. In reality, they will hatch anywhere but the glove box of your car."
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by H.o.F.R View Post
    Looks good to me. Honestly I think we all tend to over think some of this stuff. They hatch in the wild under much worse conditions. I know we want everything to be as perfect as we can get them but where do we draw the line? Not trying to pick on you please don't take that the wrong way. Just kind of thinking out loud.
    No offense taken at all. I was kinda thinking the same thing, but didn't know if there was an ideal range where any fallout would be minimized due to humidity related issues.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    The egg crate needs to sit up on top of the substrate, you do not want any substrate touching the eggs

Personal opinion ...Those tubs are great for holding nuts and bolts and for hatchling racks but are horrible for holding in humidity without seal a meal, which is why I use locking lid tubs(I hate seal-a-meal).

As far as the substrate under the egg crate it should be sloppy wet, I add perlite and then water until it touches the bottom of the egg crate and that's it.

My tubs are sealed well enough to need a few tiny holes for ventilation and will hold water from start to finish without having to mess with the tubs. On rare occasion I've added a little water to top them off towards the end of the incubation period, but not much.

If you use those cheap tubs keep an eye on the water level and keep the substrate very wet.
    I would also add a lot more water bottles, they help tremendously with stability.

Looks good to me. Honestly I think we all tend to over think some of this stuff. They hatch in the wild under much worse conditions.
    They hatch in holes under ground that are probably as stable if not more stable than most peoples incubators

It was something to the effect of: "People tend to spend way too much time and energy fretting over the perfection of the incubation process. In reality, they will hatch anywhere but the glove box of your car."
    When you have 20k in eggs in your incubator you tend to want it to work perfect
    Jerry Robertson

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snakesRkewl For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (01-11-2013),satomi325 (01-11-2013),Simple Man (01-11-2013)

Ohio but looking to relocate grrrr new laws!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrLang View Post

Lol yea pretty sure that's in the breeding bp guide on vms herps the learning channel.

Op: I use straight vermiculite mixed 50/50 with water by weight. I have a converted refridgerator incubator. I use a hydro farm tstat set at 90 degrees with the probe on the middle shelf burried in vermiculite. The tubs I use have screen lids and I place the eggs directly on the vermiculite. 3 feet of 11" flexwatt running down the back, 1 CPU fan mounted on the top blowing straight down about 1/4 speed on a dimmer, I fill the crisper drawer with water and open it once a week for air exchange. Nothing fancy but it works. Keeps right about 88-89 degrees and 80-85% humidity. I rarely see fluxuations unless I just had it open. I've used this for the past 2 seasons and had 16 viable clutches hatch with only 1 egg failing to incubate. I don't think I can blame the bator for that as the hatchling was severely deformed.
    Come see what's new with us at https://www.facebook.com/BFEPetsandSupply

Happy Herping!!!!

Thanks
    Jerry,

After I topped off the tubs with water the vermiculite/perlite mixture sank back below the grates- as it was when I set it up. Must have expanded as it dried out a little.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CD CONSTRICTORS For This Useful Post:

snakesRkewl (01-11-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post

Personal opinion ...Those tubs are great for holding nuts and bolts and for hatchling racks but are horrible for holding in humidity without seal a meal, which is why I use locking lid tubs(I hate seal-a-meal).
    I have used those tubs two years in a row and have had zero humidity issues using no press and seal. I even have some other tubs that are sealed even worse but stack much nicer in my cooler. I use the egg crate but do not soak my vermiculite. I set it up just like you would if the eggs were in the substrate. I have never had to add water or mess with the substrate during incubation.

Guess it is all personal preference and what has worked well for each person.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joebad976 View Post
    I have used those tubs two years in a row and have had zero humidity issues using no press and seal. I even have some other tubs that are sealed even worse but stack much nicer in my cooler. I use the egg crate but do not soak my vermiculite. I set it up just like you would if the eggs were in the substrate. I have never had to add water or mess with the substrate during incubation.

Guess it is all personal preference and what has worked well for each person.
    Maybe because you stack them they seal better?
    In my experience using them 1 season they leaked a lot, but then I didn't stack them either, so who knows
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
    Maybe because you stack them they seal better?
    In my experience using them 1 season they leaked a lot, but then I didn't stack them either, so who knows
    LOL, it is all trial and error. Nothing in this hobby is by the book and no two breeders do things the same way. That's what makes this soooo fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast