Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,364

0 members and 3,364 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Market Rise or market fall?

I am researching a TON of info on the Morph Market with BPs. I see that some morphs are dropping in value quickly, while others are way out of reach. Is this affected by the actual economy status? The BP's value itself? Will the Genetics still keep evolving? Stop at a point? Go back to where it started?

I know...I am full of questions. LOL.

1.0 lemon pastel
    0.1 lemon pastel
    0.1 Albino
    0.2 Normals
    1.0 spider
    0.1 red corn snake
    1 red oscar

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts
    Supply and demand

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iCandiBallPythons For This Useful Post:

h00blah (01-10-2013)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    That's like asking a stock broker if the DOW will gain or lose, lol! Again, it comes back to supply and demand, for the most part. Some animals (recessives especially) will hold their value longer than what will dominant or incomplete dominant morphs, as they take longer to produce visual animals with recessives than what it does the other two. As far as hatching out the next latest and greatest morph from a grab-bag of African imports, I'd put better odds on the lottery. That's not to say it can't be done, just that the likelihood isn't great. Same with making your millions and retiring off breeding ball pythons. It would take a significant investment of capital that you could afford to not see a return on for 3-5 years before you might seen some black instead of being completely in the red if you choose to rely on breeding ball pythons as your sole income. Invest in quality stock for your future breeding animals, if you elect to breed, and be picky in what you buy and what you choose to pair with what. Ball pythons are easy to keep, breed and stay a manageable size so there are quite a few people raising and breeding them. Expasion and contraction, supply and demand...eventually everything stabilizes in terms of the pricing of morphs but don't expect to make much money off of them when they're priced at a level the average person can afford because then the average person is buying and breeding that morph just like you are and selling or offering for sale the babies just the same as you.
    Before all else, be armed. - Niccolo Machiavelli

5. The Following User Says Thank You to youbeyouibei For This Useful Post:

piedplus (01-26-2013)

Thanks
    The value is always falling. The more a particular morph is made, the less valuable it becomes.
    Lotsa Balls and more

http://www.tessadasexotics.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    The common single gene morphs have fallen quite a bit since I started keeping snakes just 4 years ago. I feel like it falls to a certain point and then levels off. As for other morphs, it really is all about supply and demand. The snakes are priced based on what people are willing to pay for them, the quality of the snake, sex, and age. A brand new morph is going to cost more than a pastel because it is very limited in supply, where as there are plenty of pastels to choose from.

Its not really about the market "falling" as I don't believe it will ever just die completely. New morphs will take the space of its predecessors. New combos will be made. There are even certain "lines" of a morph that people are willing to pay more for. I think what is ultimately tanking the market is people buying up cheap snakes to breed and sell. Those cheap snakes are often not the best example of the morph, so the market is flooded with browned out pastels. I think as long as your goal is to produce high quality animals, you will see the return on your investment.
    ~Steffe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

piedplus (01-26-2013)

Thanks

Re: Market Rise or market fall?

It all boils down to three basic factors
    1. The rarity of the mutation coupled with its overall look - the more people breeding them the cheaper they are. Also the more dramatic eye catching it is the higher the price.
    2. The genetics - or difficulty of reproducing them - recessive, dominant, codominant, multigene combos etc. The easier to produce the more people will produce them, the more will be available quicker, the faster the price will drop.
    3. Quality and appearance of the animal - The quality and appearance dictates overall popularity in the long term. Dramatic varieties tend to hold value longer than the more obscure morphs.
    Hope this helps

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tonkatoyman For This Useful Post:

piedplus (01-26-2013)

Thanks
    Just be glad that your prices are falling and that your product hasn't become obsolete. LOL.

I was well on my way to making albino patternless labyrinth granite burms.

I had to abandon the entire project because you can't ship burms anymore.

Here is a little business primer on python morphs...

recessive morphs hold their value longer than dominant morphs

multiple gene recessive morphs (ie albino pied balls) hold value the longest of all

dominant or co dominant morphs are really valuable the first season and then usually fall off

In snake breeding you need to be on the edge of producing something new to get big money for your babies. The other route to take is to breed a boatload of normal wild types and try to sell in bulk, but that is pretty much impossible for a normal sized hobbyist.

My advice is to find animals that you like working with and try to make the nicest stuff you can. If you make enough money to be in the hobby at no cost you are doing better than pretty much everyone else LOL.

Don't quit your day job LOL

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PatriotPythons For This Useful Post:

piedplus (01-26-2013)

Thanks

Re: Market Rise or market fall?

I think the actual economy has everything to do with our BP market. Snakes aren't a necessity like food and shelter. They are a luxury item, when people have less money coming in, they choose food shopping over a BP every time. That's why there is always a bump in sales around tax return time..people have a lump of cash and can afford to pick up a snake or two while still paying the bills....just my opinion of course...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monk90222 For This Useful Post:

piedplus (01-26-2013),snakesRkewl (02-18-2013)

Thanks

Rise or fall?

If your looking to get in on the ground floor and make ridiculous profit with minimal effort then you've already missed the boat. Read about the tulip craze or how about baseball cards. People still buy both but as hobbiest way.
    I was involved in the sports card industry at a high level starting from the late 70's to the 90's. had a good run. Once people saw profit the greedy inflated prices sky high and then it crashed and never returned.
    There will always be a demand for ball pythons. They are great pets.
    I think we're past the goldrush days. Right now I see people selling off collections. Hopefully those are the people who put money before animals.
    Thats means there is a glut of average to poor quality animals. This will clear up and stabilize.
    If pastels for example are almost as cheap as normals people will stop producing them. After 3 years of this maybe the production will lag the demand.
    A down economy tends to push people into hobby investment schemes. The crash of the silver market and the recession of the early 80's helped baseball cards not hurt it. You didn't have to feed cards though.
    It all depends on you. Are you a people person? Sales, marketing? These are a must! You can't hide in a basement and just list on kingsnake.
    With the above qualities you could probably make a million dollars in tulips even today.

Thanks
    Supply and demand
    This, quick and simple answer.

Our hobby is quiet unique, morphs can make and break price; years ago Enchi's were being sold for 1/4-1/2 of what they are going for now berfore they were found to make some crazy stuff when combined with other morphs.

Deserts and Caramels were quiet expensive until there was said to be some breeding issues. fires and Het Russo were worth more until other combos were found to make a white snake.

The day a Pastel is found to be the only morph to unlock a hidden gene in another morph their price will go up too; because everyone will want to have the next best thing. we like answering questions here.