Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,094

1 members and 1,093 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,583
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 501 Posts

Re: I think it should be a rule....

Quote Originally Posted by devildog_dk View Post
    "Durrrr my snake just kilt that there rat"
    I might use that.
    Adversity does not build character, it reveals it

Thanks

What the "heroes" fail to realize, time and time again, is that the overwhelming majority of casual snake owners either don't know about or simply just don't care about the existence of forums like these. So quite often, when a newcomer stumbles across this site with issues, they line up to slap them in the face, and then maybe offer a reasonable suggestion. Sometimes I'm glad I've owned snakes quite a few years before I ever stumbled upon a forum...if I'd been greeted with some of the "help" I see offered here at times, I may have never come back.

Now, I'll admit that what I just said isn't entirely fair, as there are far more helpful people on here and other forums than there aren't. But boy, what owning a snake for a year and reading through a bunch of forum posts can do to some people! Sometimes it just seems some people would rather flaunt their "knowledge" than offer anything of actual substance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by devildog_dk View Post
    Not sure if you're joking or not, but I was.
    Ha Ha...yes, joking. Always joking.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobNJ View Post
    What the "heroes" fail to realize, time and time again, is that the overwhelming majority of casual snake owners either don't know about or simply just don't care about the existence of forums like these. So quite often, when a newcomer stumbles across this site with issues, they line up to slap them in the face, and then maybe offer a reasonable suggestion. Sometimes I'm glad I've owned snakes quite a few years before I ever stumbled upon a forum...if I'd been greeted with some of the "help" I see offered here at times, I may have never come back.

Now, I'll admit that what I just said isn't entirely fair, as there are far more helpful people on here and other forums than there aren't. But boy, what owning a snake for a year and reading through a bunch of forum posts can do to some people! Sometimes it just seems some people would rather flaunt their "knowledge" than offer anything of actual substance.
    I agree with you too, but can you honestly say that the newbie people that come to a forum with at least some inkling of intuition and common sense (even if they are naïve, but that's not necessarily their fault) are regarded the same way at those come at it like they "can't have possibly done anything wrong" and anyone that points that out is obviously a know it all and picking on them? In my eyes there's a big difference there and it can usually be spotted on even their first post.

Thanks

Sure, it goes both ways...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 920 Posts
    Such as the case of the fellow who told the tale that we're all basically (paraphrasing) abusing our snakes because we use storage containers for enclosures.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

If someone (new or not, experienced or naive) is being a jerk, that's an entirely different thing. My original point was that when someone asks for help, offer help or leave it alone, basically. When someone is clearly upset by their situation, regardless of who or what is to blame, the humane thing to do is to keep your non-contributing thoughts to yourself until the situation is resolved.

If you want to post a new thread later, or send them a private message to ask why they made a stupid decision, that's cool. Just don't chime in with, "Your own fault, JackWagon!" and then not offer anything further.

Now, if you're trying to help and you're met with complete reluctance to even consider that you might know more than someone who has a cousin with a friend who used to read ball python books in study hall in the eighth grade, that's different. I'm only talking about the initial interaction.

I just think people could be a little nicer. That's all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrandiR View Post
    If someone (new or not, experienced or naive) is being a jerk, that's an entirely different thing. My original point was that when someone asks for help, offer help or leave it alone, basically. When someone is clearly upset by their situation, regardless of who or what is to blame, the humane thing to do is to keep your non-contributing thoughts to yourself until the situation is resolved.

If you want to post a new thread later, or send them a private message to ask why they made a stupid decision, that's cool. Just don't chime in with, "Your own fault, JackWagon!" and then not offer anything further.

Now, if you're trying to help and you're met with complete reluctance to even consider that you might know more than someone who has a cousin with a friend who used to read ball python books in study hall in the eighth grade, that's different. I'm only talking about the initial interaction.

I just think people could be a little nicer. That's all.
    Maybe I took the thread off tangent a little bit but that's what I was getting at as well: someone that just honestly wants help for their animal deserves it, and I agree with you.

I will disagree that someone unintelligent enough that borderline abuses an animal because they're too stupid to know better (and given general consensus even people scared of snakes know what is good and not good for them more or less *roughly* do), then those people should be met with a 2x4...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

[personal opinion ahead not site policy]

Well.

The way I see it is we are here to try and help the animal and the keeper.

Being rude or endlessly repeating the information/ insults in a previous post does neither.

Chasing someone away means they never get to learn and their animal never gets an improved life.

There are days, and threads, when I read and can only think of "You're an idiot" when searching for a reply - at that point I decide not to post ( well mostly ).

There are enough people on here that it's ok to leave it to someone else if you are not feeling tactful that day.

It is also worth remembering that what you see as common sense is probably coming from a more informed place than that of someone who knows little about snakes. Remember that and ask yourself how common it would seem to you if they were asking what to do with a star nosed mole or a pink hairy armadillo.

And if 20 people have insulted someone already sit on your hands or take a walk but don't be number 21.

[/personal opinion ahead not site policy]
    Last edited by dr del; 01-09-2013 at 09:22 AM.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

AmandaJ (01-09-2013),Argentra (01-09-2013),BrandiR (01-09-2013),foxoftherose (01-09-2013),MrLang (01-09-2013),rlditmars (01-09-2013),sorraia (01-09-2013)

Thanks

I totally agree, I have kept several different types of reptiles, since the late 80's, from Corns to Burms and I, by no means, think I know everything. Not even close. When I first joined this forum I had a question about breeding and I mis-used one tiny word, "Normal" and the thread ran away on that. I really like this forum but you hit the nail right on the head, I think some questions go un-asked because no one wants to be blasted.
    1.0 Cinnamon 50% Het Clown Ball
    1.0 Hypo (Ghost) Ball
    1.0 Orange Hypo (Orange Ghost) Ball
    1.1 Normal 100% Het PieBald Ball
    2.1 Normal 100% Het Albino Ball
    0.1 Normal 100% Het Hypo (Ghost) Ball
    0.1 Albino Ball
    0.1 Bumble Bee 50% Het Hypo (Ghost) Ball
    2.2 Pastel ball
    1.0 Albino Corn Snake
    1.0 Butterstripe Corn Snake
    1.0 Albino Red Tail Boa