Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,306

3 members and 3,303 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

A Challenge - Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is

I've made no bones about the fact that I was not a fan of Andrew Wyatt and his approach to USARK. But with him stepping down and with some people I actually trust at the helm, I'm going to reevaluate where I stand and reinstate my support.

In any war it is important to properly recognize a victory and at times a defeat, for without a realistic view of events and their meaning, people can be easily lulled into false senses of failure - or success.

The 112th congressional session ran from January 3, 2011 to January 3, 2013. As of the end of the session, only 219 of the over 4300 bills that were introduced were passed.

For the rest, a small few were voted to defeat but the majority just expired.

So when we take into account that less than 5% of bills pass, and when we also take into account that HR511 was not killed, or defeated, but expired with the end of the session, do we really want to call the expiration of HR511 a victory?

Before you answer, remember that a bill that is defeated is very different than one that expires with the end of the session. Expired bills are more often than not reintroduced in one form or another.

Moral of the story - USARK is an extremely underfunded organization that has not had the political clout to do more than "claim" a handful of victories - many of the big ones directly attributed to bills expiring with the end of a congressional session.

Until people stop posting USARK banners in their sigs and begin contributing to USARK in a meaningful way, we won't see a string of REAL defeated legislation in a long time.

This week was an eye opener for me. Despite all of the talk of support in the reptile community, I learned that over the last four+ years, USARK took the majority of their donations in from big business - a third from one donor. Actual donations from private individuals has been absolutely pathetic.

If the goal is for USARK to be a real and vital political force, one that can operate toe to toe with HSUS, they need less big talk from their constituents and more money from people like you and I. Only that way can this community claim real wins and focus on local issues as well as Federal.

If this rubs some people the wrong way, so be it. But I think celebrating one of thousands of bills that just expired (many with no real organized opposition) is just not right. In my eyes , it illustrates how low our expectations have been set.

Here's a challenge. Anyone who wants to take a shot at me for my views on this - go right ahead - I'm cool with it and I'm a big boy who can more than handle it.

What I would ask is that you first donate $10 to USARK. That donation will serve this community alot better than big talk and no action.

I'm going to donate $10 a month this year to USARK. Anytime someone questions my resolve our my commitment to this fight be prepared to prove that your resolve is at least up to par with mine.

Last edited by Skiploder; 01-05-2013 at 01:56 PM.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

3skulls (01-05-2013),Aes_Sidhe (01-05-2013),BFE Pets (01-05-2013),Bluebonnet Herp (02-12-2013),PitOnTheProwl (01-06-2013),Redneck_Crow (01-08-2013),Robyn@SYR (01-05-2013),satomi325 (01-06-2013),sflanick (01-07-2013),swansonbb (01-06-2013),Valentine Pirate (01-05-2013),Vypyrz (01-05-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,184 Posts
    If they gave each member a complete break down of where the money is going, I would become a member today.
    I was going to get my girlfriend and myself a membership for Xmas but couldn't really find any detailed information on where my money would go. I also signed up for the news letter and I think I have received one email so far. Just the other day I wad talking to my girl and she said the dame thing. She was going to give me a membership for Xmas, couldn't find enough info on them.

I believe any non-profit that wants my money should be very open on where the money went.

Now we all know that the HSUS gets their money through lies and I can find more info on where there money goes. Even if it's from people exposing them and not directly from the HSUS.

If USARK wants to be more open and give the members a full break down on every cent spent, I think more people would help and understand what they need.
    I saw the vague breakdown of 30% here and 30% there and the nice round number of $300,000. That doesn't cut it for me. I want to know how much they need for mortgage, did Wyatt also get a company car, how much is spent on advertising, to keep the office running, blah blah blah..,,

If their accountant can't provide this information or they don't want to give out this information, then I don't think anyone should hand over any money to them.

I could be way wrong in my thinking but I don't just trust people and trust they will do the right thing when money in involved.

If you could point me in the right direction to find the info I'm looking for, I would be happy to read it with an open mind. I just need to do more research before I can become a member.

If they are doing the right thing with your donation, then let me be the first to thank you for doing so.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 3skulls For This Useful Post:

I-KandyReptiles (01-06-2013)

Thanks

Re: A Challenge - Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is

Quote Originally Posted by 3skulls View Post
    If they gave each member a complete break down of where the money is going, I would become a member today.
    I was going to get my girlfriend and myself a membership for Xmas but couldn't really find any detailed information on where my money would go. I also signed up for the news letter and I think I have received one email so far. Just the other day I wad talking to my girl and she said the dame thing. She was going to give me a membership for Xmas, couldn't find enough info on them.

I believe any non-profit that wants my money should be very open on where the money went.

Now we all know that the HSUS gets their money through lies and I can find more info on where there money goes. Even if it's from people exposing them and not directly from the HSUS.

If USARK wants to be more open and give the members a full break down on every cent spent, I think more people would help and understand what they need.
    I saw the vague breakdown of 30% here and 30% there and the nice round number of $300,000. That doesn't cut it for me. I want to know how much they need for mortgage, did Wyatt also get a company car, how much is spent on advertising, to keep the office running, blah blah blah..,,

If their accountant can't provide this information or they don't want to give out this information, then I don't think anyone should hand over any money to them.

I could be way wrong in my thinking but I don't just trust people and trust they will do the right thing when money in involved.

If you could point me in the right direction to find the info I'm looking for, I would be happy to read it with an open mind. I just need to do more research before I can become a member.

If they are doing the right thing with your donation, then let me be the first to thank you for doing so.
    The link to the expense report is here:

http://usark.org/library/

Go down to 9 - Documents.

I think the problem to date is that no one from USARK was open enough to break down what the operating costs were and what the financial plan, goals and requirements were. We had fluffers coming on the forums and drumming up donations. The point is that they were basically barely paying the rent.

We got smoke and mirrors - an image of this organization as larger and more supported than it really was. Again, about 1/3 of the money comes from ONE donor. The rest from trade shows and a sad little amount form paypal donations.

I've conversed via email with Dr. Booth and there is another person on the Board that I know. I don't know if they can become a viable organization - but I do know that they can't do it with the pathetic support this community has given them.

So I'm putting my hopes on Dr. Booth and the others to stop the posturing, be more open about what the plan is and use strategic partnerships effectively until USARK can actually stand on it's own and fight toe to toe with HSUS.

I heard one person say that the very fact that Pacelle acknowledged USARK was an indication of success. Well, when I step in dog crap while mowing the lawn, I have to stop and acknowledge it. Doesn't mean I fear it, doesn't mean I respect it and it doesn't mean it's going to stop me from mowing the lawn.

In the end, I have no idea as to whether or not they will be successful. But it's painfully obvious to me that with all of the increased legislation on the local, state and federal levels, we need an 800 pound gorilla in the fight, not a spider monkey.

Skulls, I may be doing the wrong thing, but I believe that Dr. Booth is an honest, humble guy who will try to do the right thing. I'm going to support him and see where things end up.

I've never shied away from pointing out where USARK was going wrong, and I withdrew my financial support three years ago. I won't hesitate to do it again if I see fit. But I will give the new Board the benefit of the doubt and put my money where my mouth is.
    Last edited by Skiploder; 01-05-2013 at 02:39 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

dragonboy4578 (01-05-2013),Valentine Pirate (01-05-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,184 Posts
    Thank you!

The only Internet i have is my phone and at times it's very hard to find the things I'm looking for.

I will look over this information.

You seem to be more on top of this than most people I have seen talk about this topic.
    Maybe you could post some more links to the new board members?

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    If USARK straightens out and can tell me more precisely where their money is being used, what their plans are, and who is being paid... I will definitely consider donating more money. I sent money, I handed money at most shows I attended, and I've introduced people to USARK as a "good group that's fighting for us".

But I got very disillusioned when the answers to "where is my money going" were vague things like "To fight legislation" instead of "To pay for office supplies, travel expenses, legal fees, and scientific studies to prove our facts..." for instance.

I can say "I'm fighting legislation" by making phone calls to senators and congressmen... but I don't present myself as needing $150,000 to do it. So I just want to know that the organization I'm paying money to has a plan to use that money to be effective instead of brushing me off.

I'll read over the link. I'm hoping the new organization in the group will be a lot more forthcoming and interactive with the public so we can all come together in the fight.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Lucille (01-05-2013),Skiploder (01-05-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post

The 112th congressional session ran from January 3, 2011 to January 3, 2013. As of the end of the session, only 219 of the over 4300 bills that were introduced were passed.

For the rest, a small few were voted to defeat but the majority just expired.

So when we take into account that less than 5% of bills pass, and when we also take into account that HR511 was not killed, or defeated, but expired with the end of the session, do we really want to call the expiration of HR511 a victory?
    The reason so few bills are publicly voted down, or to use your presumed definition, "killed", is politicians have little desire to embarrass one another generally. The "killing" of a bill by vote would only serve to embarrass the person that introduced that bill and rarely occurs. You are correct that a very small percentage of bills pass, and you are also correct that that is a result of lack of interest or support. But make no mistake, this bill did have support. This was not some obscure bill brought up to ask for something that had no shot of ever seeing the light of day. HR511 was a coordinated effort of a congressman, governmental policy makers and animal rights/environmental extremist organizations to pass what they were unsuccessful getting through the regulatory process. This bill passed out of the Judiciary committee. Normally the next step would be to attach this to a larger bill or to bring it to the house for a vote. That did not occur. The Department of Natural Resources committee pulled this bill into their preview as a direct result of the work behind the scenes of USARK through the law firm/ lobbyist that serve us. The USFWS lobbied for it's passage. They sat as expert witnesses asking for it's passage. The HSUS and the Nature Conservancy fought for this to pass. The HSUS made large and public criticism of the Obama Administration, who normally follows everything that the HSUS asks of them, for not taking out the other large constrictors with the Constrictor Rule. Make no mistake. This bill was killed by sitting on it and letting it expire.

I and my family would like to personally thank you for your support of USARK. Without the support of individuals like you, USARK would not have the grass roots support that is more powerful than anything else when it is needed. The financial support that USARK gets from everyone whether great or small adds up and enables us to do what we have done so far.

And for those who do not yet support USARK. Is USARK perfect? Nope. Not one individual that has been or is currently involved with USARK is perfect either. If you are going to wait for this or any organization to be exactly perfect, and to precisely do exactly what you think should be done, at every turn, then you will never support anything. This even while your support is greatly needed. USARK represents the greatest obstacle to the animal rights extremists. You need to remember this; When we first started USARK we were just a bunch of Reptile guys who took the threats against us seriously, while many didn't think there was any threat. Now we have seen that those threats are very real, but that we can make some part of a difference to frustrate those who mean to end our freedoms to engage in our hobby.
    Jeff Ronne Sr
    The Boaphile
    Director USARK

http://www.theboaphile.com
    http://www.boaphileplastics.com

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The_Boaphile For This Useful Post:

Albey (01-05-2013),minguss (01-06-2013),Robyn@SYR (01-06-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The_Boaphile View Post
    The reason so few bills are publicly voted down, or to use your presumed definition, "killed", is politicians have little desire to embarrass one another generally. The "killing" of a bill by vote would only serve to embarrass the person that introduced that bill and rarely occurs. You are correct that a very small percentage of bills pass, and you are also correct that that is a result of lack of interest or support. But make no mistake, this bill did have support. This was not some obscure bill brought up to ask for something that had no shot of ever seeing the light of day. HR511 was a coordinated effort of a congressman, governmental policy makers and animal rights/environmental extremist organizations to pass what they were unsuccessful getting through the regulatory process. This bill passed out of the Judiciary committee. Normally the next step would be to attach this to a larger bill or to bring it to the house for a vote. That did not occur. The Department of Natural Resources committee pulled this bill into their preview as a direct result of the work behind the scenes of USARK through the law firm/ lobbyist that serve us. The USFWS lobbied for it's passage. They sat as expert witnesses asking for it's passage. The HSUS and the Nature Conservancy fought for this to pass. The HSUS made large and public criticism of the Obama Administration, who normally follows everything that the HSUS asks of them, for not taking out the other large constrictors with the Constrictor Rule. Make no mistake. This bill was killed by sitting on it and letting it expire.

I and my family would like to personally thank you for your support of USARK. Without the support of individuals like you, USARK would not have the grass roots support that is more powerful than anything else when it is needed. The financial support that USARK gets from everyone whether great or small adds up and enables us to do what we have done so far.

And for those who do not yet support USARK. Is USARK perfect? Nope. Not one individual that has been or is currently involved with USARK is perfect either. If you are going to wait for this or any organization to be exactly perfect, and to precisely do exactly what you think should be done, at every turn, then you will never support anything. This even while your support is greatly needed. USARK represents the greatest obstacle to the animal rights extremists. You need to remember this; When we first started USARK we were just a bunch of Reptile guys who took the threats against us seriously, while many didn't think there was any threat. Now we have seen that those threats are very real, but that we can make some part of a difference to frustrate those who mean to end our freedoms to engage in our hobby.
    Well, Jeff, that's where we will have to disagree. At one point I was active in the AGC and Local 3 to pass legislation in California for the heavy construction/contracting community.

It was a common practice to let a bill expire when we knew we were getting the end of the legislative term and had made little headway. We would then reintroduce it within the first few quarters of the new term - often slightly reworked to defuse criticism from groups who had a less then rabid opposition to it.....and to wait for opposing legislators to move on after an election.

It was tactic to let a bill expire instead of going to a vote when we were unsure of the outcome. Better to let it expire than to have it voted down. In that sense, I wouldn't count this as a victory, because this will come back at the community at some point in the near future.

I'll leave it at that. Dr. Booth appears to be an honest and earnest person and support from the individual hobbyists has been weak - it's never been enough to fund an organization that has to fight on so many fronts and take on a strong group of well funded enemies.
    Last edited by Skiploder; 01-05-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    I don't think accusing people who are hesitant about sending money of wanting only a "perfect" organization to exist is very welcoming or transparent.

I also don't think that asking for information regarding where the money is used and will be used and what sort of thing the group is planning is asking too much when it's monetary support.

It would take USARK less time to write up a blurb about where the money goes than it takes to run around the internet accusing reptile hobbiest of not supporting you only because you're not "perfect". Financial records should be available within reason. Showing donors where their money has made a difference encourages more donations.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Skip, I completely agree. Meager support for USARK from the private sector is someting that I have witnessed first hand through volunteering at shows. My opinion is that there are some things that the new regime at USARK should, at least, take into consideration. 1) In order to be professional, you should look professional. It's hard for me to convince someone that they should donate money to help protect their right to keep that little Ball Python that they just bought, if I am standing there in cargo shorts, t-shirt, and sandles. I do like the USARK t-shirts, but, when working in an official capcity, such as volunteering at a show, I think something like a Polo shirt with the USARK logo embroidered on the front, with slacks/khakis, and nice shoes, would be more appropriate. Polish the image a little.
    2) Word of mouth falls on deaf ears. I do realize that advertising costs alot of money, but relying on word of mouth through shows and online forums, only goes so far. Especially, considering that a large number of reptile keepers, who get their animals from pet stores, etc, are not active in forums. Word of mouth may have worked when NCARK was a grass roots organization, but when it changed to USARK, they went nation wide. And if you want to go nation wide, you have to go "Nation Wide". If you want to stay small, and grass roots, then that is what you can expect in donations.
    3) Swag bags. They need to get more stuff to sell. T-shirts are ok, but how about maybe something like koozies, coffee mugs, bumper stickers, etc. When a person buys a membership, how about throwing in a T-shirt, bumber sticker, a pen and a refrigerator magnet. People like to get little things like that.
    USARK is going to have to ugrade their model if they expect to be as truly effective as they want to be...
    Last edited by Vypyrz; 01-05-2013 at 11:13 PM.
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vypyrz For This Useful Post:

Bluebonnet Herp (02-12-2013),Valentine Pirate (01-06-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Challenge Accepted. Membership renewed and additional $10 donation made.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Annarose15 For This Useful Post:

Robyn@SYR (01-05-2013)

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast