Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,309

1 members and 3,308 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Heat Tape

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Re: Heat Tape

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    -25ºC (-13ºF) with wind chill this morning and I am outside most of the day today working.
    No

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

kitedemon (01-04-2013),Valentine Pirate (01-06-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn@SYR View Post
    The single best feature of the new THG heat tape is the new connector style. We have been waiting for the arrival of the one piece molded wire and plug, rivets already attached. Those just came in, so the new connector style starts shipping next week. Easy to retrofit as well.

We are using a riveted connector that is both simple and secure. It is secured WITHIN the laminate (see the pics below). This connection is not possible with the flex watt product, as the bus bars are not wide enough. We also use an insulating tape to cover the connection, no more clunky two piece plastic insulators. You can trim the tape as needed with scissors. The tape actually fuses together.

You won't have to worry about loose, or loosening, alligator clip sets that often provide a tenuous connection. It is also less expensive. All around, both the heat tape and connectors.

You can use a $2 school supply hole punch from Office Depot to make the holes, and the rivets can be set with a variety of tools. If you are going to be doing dozens (or hundreds) of connections, you can use a professional hole punch and crimper.

3 current sizes- 3", 4" and 12". 6" coming soon.

That's a clever fastening idea. Are you selling these on a website?

Thanks

re: heat tape

We will be rolling this out this coming week when I get back from the Pomona show!

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, David very much sounds like a salesman for Calorique.
    Rich Goldzung

www.reptilebasics.com

Thanks

I have played with and used this connection for some time now and have to say I am sold. Tuff durable and super easy to install!!!
    Cheers
    Jeff

www.epicexotics.com

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Epic Exotics For This Useful Post:

Robin@Exclusive (01-06-2013),Robyn@SYR (01-05-2013)

House Snakes Addict... Aes_Sidhe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 848 Posts
    Rich Are You using new this new Tape in Your racks as well??

CLICK HERE to LIKE The RLReptiles on FACEBOOK

Rafal Lisinski

1.0 Striped African House Snake "Marduk"
    0.1 Striped African House Snake Ishtar
    1.0 black phase Brown House Snake Seth
    0.1 black phase Brown House Snake Nephthys

Thanks

The single best feature of the new THG heat tape is the new connector style. We have been waiting for the arrival of the one piece molded wire and plug, rivets already attached. Those just came in, so the new connector style starts shipping next week. Easy to retrofit as well.

We are using a riveted connector that is both simple and secure. It is secured WITHIN the laminate (see the pics below). This connection is not possible with the flex watt product, as the bus bars are not wide enough. We also use an insulating tape to cover the connection, no more clunky two piece plastic insulators. You can trim the tape as needed with scissors. The tape actually fuses together.

You won't have to worry about loose, or loosening, alligator clip sets that often provide a tenuous connection. It is also less expensive. All around, both the heat tape and connectors.

You can use a $2 school supply hole punch from Office Depot to make the holes, and the rivets can be set with a variety of tools. If you are going to be doing dozens (or hundreds) of connections, you can use a professional hole punch and crimper.

3 current sizes- 3", 4" and 12". 6" coming soon.

I am interested in this connection type. Rich, are you saying that it will be available from you? Or is it store bought at home improvment stores? And it looks like the connector is tucked into the laminate. Or am I seeing that wrong?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,184 Posts
    It does look as if it's tucked. I can't get them big enough on my phone to tell.

I wish this option was available a couple of weeks ago when I ordered my heat tape.

Thanks

They do fit in between the laminate. This is a great benefit of the wider buss bar. I do know that Rich is selling this new connector.
    Cheers
    Jeff

www.epicexotics.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,184 Posts
    How do you separate the laminate?

Thanks
    The eyelet does slide between the laminate at the buss bar location, quite easily. You then rivet it in place.

You don't have to separate it at all, the laminate is not sealed at the buss bar location, neither is the flexwatt design.

If you have the THG Heat Tape, and are using the old style clips, you can retrofit to the rivets very easily. Just order new wire sets from Rich at RBI, trim you connection end to remove and clip crimping, punch the holes, and rivet up.

The rivet connection does NOT work with the Calorique flexwatt product, the buss bar is too narrow.

The insulating tape is also super low profile, inexpensive (it is included in each wire set) and the asphalt-y adhesive fuses together where tape and tape touch. The tape can be trimmed with regular scissors.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast