Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,268

0 members and 3,268 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts

Life Changing Moment

I got around to uploading a clip from back in 2009 to youtube. This was one of the largest turning points in my life for field work and is what embedded such a passion to studying herps on location. Back in 2009 I participated in a study abroad program in Belize Central America with my university. I was probably the only student there who wanted to get the most out of the experience and not a vacation. During my nights off from our routine field assignments and research paperwork, I would find opportunities to go into the field and continue working. I met up with 2 herpers who were staying in Cockscomb Jaguar basin with us to study DNA of a certain population of Amphibians. They saw my peaked interest and invited me to work with them on my last remaining nights at the site.

The first night I went out with them, we climbed a river through the heart of the rainforest for a few hours searching for wildlife, mainly amphibians, but it was dead. The next morning a light tropical depression hit the area and filled the forest full of water. One place in particular was a seasonal pond that had now been filled. We went back to visit the pond the next night and my how things had changed. . .

The sheer number of frogs found in the pond and surrounding trees were astronomical.

Red-eyed Tree Frogs by the thousands

Mexican Tree Frogs

And my personal favorite - the Mexican Burrowing toad (he sounds like a car alarm in the video).

The next week I applied for and took a research technician job for the university where I studied Birds, Reptiles, Brittlestars, and soil bacteria DNA for the next two years giving me a firm foundation to push forward on.

Just wanted to share!

Cheers
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reptileexperts For This Useful Post:

gsarchie (01-18-2013),OctagonGecko729 (01-20-2013)

Thanks
    That is awesome! Thanks for sharing!
    God Bless http://www.iherp.com/elbee
    _____
    1.0 Pastel, 1.0 Albino, 1.0 Piebald, 1.0 Pastel Butter Spotnose
    0.1 Het pied, 0.1 Pewter, 0.1 Super Pastel, 0.1 Champagne, 0.1 BEL, 0.1 Pastel Leopard
    1.1 Thayeri Kingsnake
    1.0 Hog Island Boa
    0.2 Western Hognose (normal and purple line albino)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to elbee For This Useful Post:

reptileexperts (12-31-2012)

Thanks
    Anymore info on this program? I love this type of stuff and have been involved with a few over the years during my protracted undergrad....ahhem....shall we say...journey...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts

Life Changing Moment

Check with your biology department head is all I can say. The program stopped happening at the university I graduated from but I know the same program runs in 2 other universities for sure like Virginia Tech if i am recalling correctly. Just ask if your university has a study abroad program for biologist.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"