Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,210

0 members and 3,210 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Fl native

Quote Originally Posted by galequin View Post
    I've been living here half my life and can say that unfortunately these things need to happen. Sad that this is the way it must happen and the truth is we may never be able to reverse the actions of irresponsible pet owners who have released these snakes into the environment. At the rate at which these large snakes reproduce we can only hope to keep their population in check, if that. The FL panther is nearing extinction extremely quickly and far as I know the numbers have dwindled so rapidly that the current numbers is estimated below 100!!! That being said, even a FL panther could fall victim to a burm, or other large non-native constrictors not to mention the competition over prey items. These snakes are also having a great impact on bird population, birds that are often responsible for transportation seeds of native plants (plants which then provide homes to many, many other native fauna) and thus these snakes are effecting more native species than initially thought. I understand there is a bounty for these snakes and though I am a peace loving, snake infatuated man I support the hunt.
    I think most burmese pythons in the everglades came from a breeding facility that was destroyed in hurricane Andrew, not from irresponsible owners.

On another note, there are TONS of other invasive species in North America: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._North_America . I wonder why rats, cats, dogs etc aren't banned from being transported across state lines... I think its ridiculous that they made the laws restricting owning them as pets, since the problem is already there and irreversible.

I highly doubt hunting will help much with the problem.
    1.0 Pied 0.1 Pied het Albino
    1.0 Albino het Pied 0.1 Hog Island Boa
    0.1 het Albino, 50% het Pied 0.1 Black lab

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to towelie4365 For This Useful Post:

galequin (07-21-2013),The Serpent Merchant (07-22-2013)

Thanks

Re: Fl native

Quote Originally Posted by towelie4365 View Post
    I think most burmese pythons in the everglades came from a breeding facility that was destroyed in hurricane Andrew, not from irresponsible owners.

On another note, there are TONS of other invasive species in North America: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._North_America . I wonder why rats, cats, dogs etc aren't banned from being transported across state lines... I think its ridiculous that they made the laws restricting owning them as pets, since the problem is already there and irreversible.

I highly doubt hunting will help much with the problem.
    Problems are only irreversible when they are accepted as inevitabilities. Humans impact their environment greater than any other species. To say that the hunt is pointless is to take a cavalier attitude toward a serious issue threatening FL wildlife. I am WELL aware of the seemingly endless, and ever increasing list of invasive species throughout America but this thread isn't about other species it is about the Burm in FL. Moreover there are many invasive species in America that have fulfilled niches without the dramatically harmful effects caused by the Burms and other great constrictors (dramatic being the operative word in that statement). The RIFA (red imported fire ant) is one such example, found all across the south/southeastern U.S. Furthermore I know of hundreds of Burm owners who have released their pets when they realized they committed to an animal they could no longer care for. Hell 20 irresponsible owners is ENOUGH when considering the rate of reproduction for these Burms. The cause of ANY problem like this is ALWAYS multi-faceted, I am aware of this I just chose to mention irresponsible owners as it tends to be on the forefront of these discussions. Lastly to say that hunting would probably not help much is misguided... Think for a second of ALL the species whose populations are DEVASTATED due to over hunting, the American Alligator is a PERFECT example, it wasn't until laws went into effect to protect them that we began to see their numbers rise again. Whether they are killed, or captured and returned to their native home actions should be taken to rectify human error.

I do respect your input and certainly there are many who lie on opposite ends of the spectrum concerning this issue. It is ALWAYS a pleasure to discuss such topics with people who share an interest and love for animals! Whether we agree on this topic or not we are drawn to this thread because of our passions and I am grateful to have a chance to share my thoughts with you . I do hope you agree!

Stay Blessed!

Thanks
    I definitely agree that it is a problem there, don't get me wrong. And I agree that irresponsible owners play a part, and I can definitely tell you that I have no sources or evidence to say which has had a greater impact on numbers. I just like to see a bit more balance when there are discussions, and put things into perspective a bit . And yes, I know there have been species that have been devastated from over hunting--but there has to be a huge incentive for that. For the most part, species have been over-hunted to extinction since it would either earn that person a salary to live off of, or provide food to live off of. I personally don't see hunting being successful unless we put more money into it than I am willing to see spent
    1.0 Pied 0.1 Pied het Albino
    1.0 Albino het Pied 0.1 Hog Island Boa
    0.1 het Albino, 50% het Pied 0.1 Black lab

Thanks
    Very well said! Great discussion! I LOVE this site!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123